Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Southside Hampton Roads Caravan for October 4th Skyline Drive Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 05:50 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my350isblack
Yea the front to back are different but they have always been like that. It's the back 2 that are different. And I've still got the stock sways so I'm not sure what to do
Well i guess just take it easy untill you get a feel for the new setup.

All things aside, how do you like the KDWs? I've been eyeballing them for when my F1s crap out.

Last edited by halfass872; 09-14-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
FORZWIN

Originally Posted by my350isblack
Yea the front to back are different but they have always been like that. It's the back 2 that are different. And I've still got the stock sways so I'm not sure what to do
Buy matching tires. Even then, if there is a big difference in the age of the remaining tires, it can cause adverse handling characteristics. Just get you're money together and buy a new set of tires, it sounds like your fronts are older and probably less sticky than the new "no name" tires you bought, with the front having less grip than the rear, understeer is expected.

Originally Posted by halfass872
We've met up with the NN members before, but there has usually been at big group waiting for us. And with the possibility of already having to stop to meet the Richmond members, you may be better of by giving one of us your cell number, and we can call you when we're getting near, and you can meet up with us on the interstate. (Not as hard as it sounds)
If you guys decide to meet up with us, I was going to suggest the same thing, it's a lot faster to just meet on the run. I'll PM you when we get closer and we can exchange numbers, if you guys are interested in meeting up that is.

Last edited by FORZWIN; 09-14-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by FORZWIN
If you guys decide to meet up with us, I was going to suggest the same thing, it's a lot faster to just meet on the run. I'll PM you when we get closer and we can exchange numbers, if you guys are interested in meeting up that is.
Sounds good, that's probably the best idea for everyone.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Darkpath

Hey fellas - I was up on the Skyline during labor day scouting the place out for this year. Was hoping to put a run together later in the month of Oct during foliage. From what I saw last week colors won't be changed yet by then but the drive will be just as beautiful. One thing I did notice was that the speed limit through the national forest is 35 mph. I would love to go along - but I have a summer long planned birthday to attend that Sat... Dang!! You all have fun and be safe up there.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Darkpath
Hey fellas - I was up on the Skyline during labor day scouting the place out for this year. Was hoping to put a run together later in the month of Oct during foliage. From what I saw last week colors won't be changed yet by then but the drive will be just as beautiful. One thing I did notice was that the speed limit through the national forest is 35 mph. I would love to go along - but I have a summer long planned birthday to attend that Sat... Dang!! You all have fun and be safe up there.
Posted speed limit there is pretty much a suggestion. Depends on how concerned you are about getting a ticket. We are all usually pretty lucky.

I think David planned the trip earlier this year because there were so many "leafers" last year. It was like sitting in traffic for 4 hours straight!! It was still fun, but we had to "hold back" traffic in order to get only a few small spurts of speed.

The fall colors are great, but i'm pretty sure most of us would rather have room to do some spirited driving through the hills.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM
halfass872

bump it up!!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Darkpath

Posted speed limit there is pretty much a suggestion. Depends on how concerned you are about getting a ticket. We are all usually pretty lucky.

I think David planned the trip earlier this year because there were so many "leafers" last year. It was like sitting in traffic for 4 hours straight!! It was still fun, but we had to "hold back" traffic in order to get only a few small spurts of speed.

The fall colors are great, but i'm pretty sure most of us would rather have room to do some spirited driving through the hills.
Let me suggest something a little different for next year then... How bout we make a weekend out of it since it is a bit farther. Let the cruise be west of 64 just a bit beyond Lexington in the area of "The Homestead". I was out there last summer. That whole area is filled with twistys that rival the Dragon and the speed limits are not so restrictive.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are right in your reference that the posted speed limit sign along Skyline are suggestive in nature... Not trying to be a damp towel here, but they are suggesting that you observe the speed limit or suffer the consequences... From what I have heard from many differing sources upon return and recounting my trip on Labor Day weekend (reporting speeds of merely 55 - 65) was told that I managed to merely get away with it! I was told that a ticket up there will make you want to suggest to a judge that he pull his head out of the clouds or perhaps some other location. But doing so won't make the ticket any cheaper.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM
blaze0303

1. Halfass872 (Addam)
2. citymunky (Jon)
3. my350isblack (Joey)
4. AmorZ_Fati (Phil + Gf)
5. Cabad85 (Chris)
6. Blaze0303 (Daniel) gonna attempt to make it.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Darkpath
Let me suggest something a little different for next year then... How bout we make a weekend out of it since it is a bit farther. Let the cruise be west of 64 just a bit beyond Lexington in the area of "The Homestead". I was out there last summer. That whole area is filled with twistys that rival the Dragon and the speed limits are not so restrictive.
That's not a bad idea for those that want to go that route, but IMO it's not a big enough of an event that people are gonna want to take both days off AND pay for a hotel.

Remember a majority of the members that participate in this are from NOVA, so it's only a short drive for them. We (Southside members) choose to drive the distance to attend. If this were ZdayZ it'd be a different story.

And as far as the speed limits are concerned, we are usually hard pressed to really exceed the posted limit for any length of time on the fall cruise anyways. If ya drive smartly, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by halfass872; 09-23-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 AM
CookyKutter

1. Halfass872 (Addam)
2. citymunky (Jon)
3. my350isblack (Joey)
4. AmorZ_Fati (Phil + Gf)
5. Cabad85 (Chris)
6. Blaze0303 (Daniel) gonna attempt to make it.
7. CookyKutter (TomIE) and GF and her G(skirtz)
Old 09-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Darkpath

Really wish we could go this year... Can't get out of the gig tho it has been planned since mid-June... I may still make the trip again and play 'leafer' for a day. Maybe instead of the Skyline we'll drive down the Blue Ridge parkway. Going for a drive is about the only thing one can do in this economy. Least we are doing that in a Z!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:41 AM
baspence

going to try to make it again this year... only snag is I'm reporting to a new unit on the first so I'm not sure if I'll be able to go or not, might have to stand duty. Oh, and KDW2's are awesome. I've had some on for about 4k miles now and I love them so far. Hope I get to test this on Sat.

Everyone cross fingers that the Leafers aren't out in full force this year!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 AM
FORZWIN

The biggest problem I have with tearing down skyline drive are abundant cyclists and "leafers" that lie behind every blind corner, we had some close calls when I went, including wildlife. The guys interested in tearing it up, usually make their way to the front of the pack and meet up at the next stop.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem I have with tearing down skyline drive are abundant cyclists and "leafers" that lie behind every blind corner, we had some close calls when I went, including wildlife. The guys interested in tearing it up, usually make their way to the front of the pack and meet up at the next stop.
Skyline isn't really meant for tearing through the turns as you'll constantly run into families who are there to sight seeing and driving at 30mph. Not to mention park police is also there. The real fun happens on 211.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by abui01
Skyline isn't really meant for tearing through the turns as you'll constantly run into families who are there to sight seeing and driving at 30mph. Not to mention park police is also there. The real fun happens on 211.
+10
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
swordsman54

What route are you planning for the trip up? If we don't have enough interest from the central/richmond area we may just meet up with you guys in-route. Right now I believe there is only two of us.
Hey man, I was trying to get some people from driver and myg37 to meet up in richmond for a drive up...I've got a couple of people so far, but that would be pretty cool if we could get the 757 crew to meet us up and have a huge group drive up to Manassas.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by swordsman54
Hey man, I was trying to get some people from driver and myg37 to meet up in richmond for a drive up...I've got a couple of people so far, but that would be pretty cool if we could get the 757 crew to meet us up and have a huge group drive up to Manassas.
It's a good idea. But remember we have to leave here at the buttcrack of dawn as is. So to go out of our way even a little, and still make it to Manassas on time, would require us to leave even earlier which is would be a hard lump to swallow.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
swordsman54

It's a good idea. But remember we have to leave here at the buttcrack of dawn as is. So to go out of our way even a little, and still make it to Manassas on time, would require us to leave even earlier which is would be a hard lump to swallow.
Yea, I get what you mean. Maybe the 804 people can meet up with you guys if you end up taking I-95.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 PM
AmorZ_Fati

which is would be a hard lump to swallow.
thats what she said
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 PM
halfass872

FYI due to a prior engagement that i had forgotten about, i won't be making the fall cruise this year.

In my place Cabad85 (Chris) from G35 driver will be taking over the Southside caravan for me this year. I'm sure alot of yal remember him from prior cruises, he had the G37 sedan that was playing blocker for us so we could actually have some fun, and not be stuck behind leafers the whole time!! lol

See yal next cruise!!!

Quick Reply: Southside Hampton Roads Caravan for October 4th Skyline Drive Cruise