Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Reckless on Skyline!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Dj Xyanyde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reckless on Skyline!

I was up on Skyline Drive again this past weekend with my old prelude group for the annual cruise and camping trip, the group got split up when some little red toyota cut me off when it came out of a little scenic outlook area.

The little red car was driving literally 15 miles an hour and the rest of the group in front of the toyota kept on moving. Being stuck behind the red car, we got further and further from the group and had no idea where/when they were stopping!

The first passing zone I came across (after literally 40 minutes at super slow speed) I signaled, and passed the red car. In the lane that I crossed into was a park ranger in her suv driving toward me about a quarter mile up. She turned on her lights, turned around and pulled me over.

She gave me a ticket for going 87 in a 35. She said because I was nice she dropped it down to 80, and THEN she gave me another ticket for excessive speed.

Can they even clock you while they are driving the opposite direction?

Of course you know me, I filmed the whole part with her talking. She says something like "our antenna is in the front, thats how we do it up here, we can be moving and still get accurate readings"

I know I wasnt going 35, I was passing... but theres no way in hell, even with a JDM 350z. I just went around a car! What should I do? Ive got until 11/03 to figure out my plan of attack. Oh! And court is allllllll the way down on the far end of Skyline... wow.

------------------------------UPDATE UPDATEEEEEE!!!!----------------

Had court tuesday, all the way in harrisonburg, VA... Drove the new Z down there. It was a great morning drive!

Anyway, long story short. The judge clowned the park ranger for giving me two tickets for the same thing. Made her feel like a fool in front of all her friends, not to mention all of the other people there on trial!

The judge made her pick one charge. Reckless or excessive speed.

Hanging her head dejectedly, she chose excessive speed. The judge apologized to me for the inconvenience and lowered the fines and such. SO I keep my license, everything is happy and lovely, and I will see you all at some meets with my new bad *** Z.

Last edited by Dj Xyanyde; 12-03-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: UPDATE!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you see the speedo on the video?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Dj Xyanyde

no, I didnt know I was going to get pulled over, and didnt decide to film the little red car going slow.

I only got the conversation between her and I.

I was rolling with a bunch of preludes, they couldnt have gone that fast, lets be serious.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

Yes you can be clocked while traveling the opposite direction. We have them on base. They work very well if calibrated correctly.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:56 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never heard of being clocked going in the opposite direction, but if you got caught going 87 and she gave you a ticket for 80, that ticket is legally invalid because she'll be asked to show proof of 80mph at that given time.. but that MPH reading does not exist, 87mph is the "supposed" clocking speed. It's great that she lowered it down to 80, but by doing so she just F'd herself. Bottom line: If the officer tickets you at 80, she MUST show proof of 80mph.

Other than that, you can ask her when was the last time she calibrated her radar? If it's not calibrated, you can get her on, "So you assumed I was going 80+ but you have no proof of it? Cars traveling in the opposite direction by any means *seems* a lot faster than it actually is." As long as you don't admit you're going 80 or 87, and as long as the ticket doesn't say 87mph + no proof of u even breaking the limit, then she can't get you for squat.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
halfass872

I've gotten ALOT of traffic tickets back in the day. I can say i've pretty much gotten a ticket for everything traffic related with the exception of DUI and vehicular manslaughter. And if there's one thing i learned, it's your word against theirs.
This isn't a high profile murder trial, so the judge is gonna hear you out, but ultimatly is already gonna have a pre-determined "sentence" for you based on your previous record (if any) and your disposition.

Your options are....

1) Spend the whole time at the bench trying to call out the cop on her "mistakes", then plan on pi$$ing off the jugde and in turn spend a little time in jail and the maximum fine.

2) If you have a decently clean record (Nothing in the past 3/4 years)....plea guilty, don't try to re-write the law books for them, and you'll prob get off with the minimum fine and some suspended jail time, if any.

3) If you really want to call out the cop, and your record isn't so clean, get a lawyer and let him do it for you. that keeps you from looking like a douche, and the lawyer can do a "plea agreement" with the prosecuter before hand so you'll already know what you are getting. (They do that because it saves time and money by avoiding people appealing and or continuences and usually means a bigger fine, but no jail time)

At a minimum, defiantly expect to loose your license for at least 30 days, but for 80 in a 35 it will probably be 90 days.

Good luck!

Last edited by halfass872; 10-12-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
shocka04

Yeah, they can def clock you going the opposite direction. And usually when they lower the speed on ticket, they note that they lowered it from whatever speed so what abui said may not work. When I got a ticket that was lowered, the judge knew the speed I was clocked at and that the cop had lowered it.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
vtchang

Last time I was in FFX court (March), cops are required to get their guns inspected every month and are trained to use them. The cop even brought his calibration certificate to court. Don't know about getting clocked going the opposite direction, maybe something to look into WITH A LAWYER. As with any ticket, you gotta get a copy of your driving record (if it's relatively clean), get your speedo checked, and register for a class. All of these measures will help convince the judge or peers (if you wish) that you're on the way towards being a better driver.

Getting off on a technicality may work but seeing that it's reckless, you'll have a better chance of just getting off on a reduced charge. Don't kid yourself thinking you're going to get completely off. Times are changing, more drivers on the road = more hazardous roads = need for stricter enforcement on the roads. Not just that but the state needs money. I got 9 over on a 55mph on another occasion and i am convinced that it was because the b4st4rd county needed my $135. If you can get completely off, consider yourself lucky. VA is no joke with reckless, it's 6 points and up to 2500 in fines + court fees + lawyer fees. If you have a record, i'd recommend getting a jury of peers as they are more sympathetic towards people that need to drive to work.

11/02 is right around the corner, you can always get an extension or worst come to worst, you have the right to appeal.

GL.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
CH³NO²
Banned

Being this was in a National Park......do you have to go to Federal Court in Alexndria or Richmond? They operate completely different than State Courts.

80 in a 35 is BAD! Judges frown on people going 45 mph over the limit in a park with kids, bikes, hikers, familys, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I know the cops in the northwest have the K band speed detector...it's a crazy setup and it does work I had the not so pleasant chance at seeing it work in a pitchblack subby...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by ch³no²

80 in a 35 is bad! Judges frown on people going 45 mph over the limit in a park with kids, bikes, hikers, familys, etc.

Good luck!

+10000
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
KAT_Ayanami

I would say:

Chances to go to jail or getting a misdemeanor = GET A LAWYER.

Yes, most of them only recite the same couple of sentences in court and get a big chunk of money for it. But hey! If it saves me from going to jail, then why not!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
ILight

Originally Posted by abui01
ive never heard of being clocked going in the opposite direction, but if you got caught going 87 and she gave you a ticket for 80, that ticket is legally invalid because she'll be asked to show proof of 80mph at that given time.. but that MPH reading does not exist, 87mph is the "supposed" clocking speed. It's great that she lowered it down to 80, but by doing so she just F'd herself. Bottom line: If the officer tickets you at 80, she MUST show proof of 80mph.

Other than that, you can ask her when was the last time she calibrated her radar? If it's not calibrated, you can get her on, "So you assumed I was going 80+ but you have no proof of it? Cars traveling in the opposite direction by any means *seems* a lot faster than it actually is." As long as you don't admit you're going 80 or 87, and as long as the ticket doesn't say 87mph + no proof of u even breaking the limit, then she can't get you for squat.
I had a family member get a ticket a few years ago and his lawyer said most of the time cops radar guns aren't calibrated as often as they are supposed to be. When it was brought up in court the cop didn't have proof of the last time it was calibrated so the ticket was dropped.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Chen

whoa! 90 days in jail??
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck man!! def let us know how the progress goes
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM
abui01

Originally Posted by ILight
When it was brought up in court the cop didn't have proof of the last time it was calibrated so the ticket was dropped.
I also had a friend hire a lawyer and he busted the cop on not having his radar calibrated and all reckless charges were dropped on the spot. It's possible to get off, but I highly suggest ya get the lawyer. There goes 1k of mod money =X
Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

Just to let you know you can be written a ticket for speeds greater than reasonable. Ive wrote several tickets like that, thats ... they teach you when you learn your radar to ... visually recognize with in 5mph how fast they were going. You cant get certified otherwise.

With speed greater than reasonable. You do not need an actual speed on it. That is Maryland state law. Which I do enforce for non DOD personnel
Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 AM
halfass872

OP, if you aren't in jail, let us know what the outcome is.

And don't lie!! lol

Luckily for us, Virginia court case information is public info, and can easily be found on the web, including the outcome of the case. So we'll know!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Lv2DC_Z
Which I do enforce for non DOD personnel

Sweet!! DOD FTW!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

O i can still write you at dod ticket lol

Quick Reply: Reckless on Skyline!