Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

04fairlazdyz (*pics inside*)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009 | 02:20 PM
jasabeast

Originally Posted by 04fairlazdyz
Chen, u explained exactly why. U removed ur spoiler (which is for form, not function btw) and the front mount is for function. I bet my low z can out handle a stock height, or lowered z. And it looks good. My point is though, that we all do different things, just cuz that's what we like on our cars.not much more to it than that.
im lowering mine because the looks of a lowered Z is amazing thats that. it will handle better and i do plan on getting sways and other sorts of suspension mods. i want to eventually track my Z once i buy a DD.
Old 12-03-2009 | 02:47 PM
NNOCENT

I agree, my G was LOW.

It was so low that ANY bump on the road I was scraping intercooler piping, exhaust/piping, or scraping the FRAME of the car.

I tore two front bumpers in half.

But I was diggin the harsh ride.

Why do mini trucks drag frame and make sparks? Because they want to!

Are they eating away steel? Of course they are. Do whatever the hell you want with your car and stop chastizing others and talkin **** behind their backs.

/end rant
Old 12-03-2009 | 03:12 PM
jasabeast

Mike did you roll your fenders yet? lol
Old 12-03-2009 | 05:11 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

no one was downing him for taking his wing off, i was proving my point with that as an example. and i dont believe that wing only helps at 110mph+ i dont think subaru would put a wing for that reason, on a car thats a street driven production car. just my thought. but either way, no one was downing it (considering i love that look) but it proved my point
Old 12-03-2009 | 07:28 PM
Chen

no one was downing him for taking his wing off, i was proving my point with that as an example. and i dont believe that wing only helps at 110mph+ i dont think subaru would put a wing for that reason, on a car thats a street driven production car. just my thought. but either way, no one was downing it (considering i love that look) but it proved my point
The wing has its purpose. As soon as i took it off, i got on 495 and headed home. I remember feeling the rear end get loose a little bit and bounce around, the wing is functional at around 80mph, but i usually don't drive that fast.

I hear people complain and **** about scraping and what not. I like function over form and that's that.
Old 12-03-2009 | 11:39 PM
abui01

^ a buddy of mine took off his wing and ran @ Summit Point in his 05' STi. He then put the wing back on and got better times, the rear end was more planted and he could blast through the corners with much more confidence.

Lowering the vehicle's height past a certain degree hinders performance. Both control arms must be no less than 5-10 degree angled downward toward the ground for optimal handling. If the vehicle is in it's resting state and you look under your car, your control arms should not point toward the sky in any way shape or form. That's just way too low.

"Lowering the center of gravity" for better handling is somewhat true, but at the expensive of "over-lowering." If you want to do it right, it would theoretically be better to drop the transmission, driveshaft, and engine a bit lower the center of gravity. Just don't "slam" your entire car to achieve this, that's a bit noob if you want to "handle better."

One thing to keep in mind: the suspension is only as good as it's driver. Just because Joe got some Ohlins and Bob got some springs doesn't mean Joe handles better. If you're going for a "look" then that's another story, but if you really want to hang with the big boys around the road course, then you should focus your aim around "getting more traction." After all, a car that's "good at handling" translates to a car that has the most grip.
Old 12-04-2009 | 02:37 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by abui01
One thing to keep in mind: the suspension is only as good as it's driver. Just because Joe got some Ohlins and Bob got some springs doesn't mean Joe handles better. If you're going for a "look" then that's another story, but if you really want to hang with the big boys around the road course, then you should focus your aim around "getting more traction." After all, a car that's "good at handling" translates to a car that has the most grip.
Perfectly said!!!
Old 12-04-2009 | 05:09 AM
Chen

Originally Posted by abui01
^ a buddy of mine took off his wing and ran @ Summit Point in his 05' STi. He then put the wing back on and got better times, the rear end was more planted and he could blast through the corners with much more confidence.

Lowering the vehicle's height past a certain degree hinders performance. Both control arms must be no less than 5-10 degree angled downward toward the ground for optimal handling. If the vehicle is in it's resting state and you look under your car, your control arms should not point toward the sky in any way shape or form. That's just way too low.

"Lowering the center of gravity" for better handling is somewhat true, but at the expensive of "over-lowering." If you want to do it right, it would theoretically be better to drop the transmission, driveshaft, and engine a bit lower the center of gravity. Just don't "slam" your entire car to achieve this, that's a bit noob if you want to "handle better."

Yes, i think i've tried to say that a few times already.....
Old 12-04-2009 | 05:38 AM
jasabeast

Yeah this thread is getting out of hand.. when i said slam.. i didnt mean drag parts on the ground hahah.. simply just mean im going low enough to get rid of all wheel gap.. i just over exaggerated the lowness of what my Z is gonna be.. i guess i shouldnt have said slammed lol.. Im not gonna lie maybe if i goto a car show i will do a little "Hard Parking" and put the biotch on the ground but will raise it before the weekend is over so i can DD it again. Wont do that to much considering ill have to get an allignment every time i raise and lower the coils.

Last edited by jasabeast; 12-04-2009 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2009 | 05:51 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by jasabeast
Yeah this thread is getting out of hand.. when i said slam.. i didnt mean drag parts on the ground hahah.. simply just mean im going low enough to get rid of all wheel gap.. i just over exaggerated the lowness of what my Z is gonna be.. i guess i shouldnt have said slammed lol.. Im not gonna lie maybe if i goto a car show i will do a little "Hard Parking" and put the biotch on the ground but will raise it before the weekend is over so i can DD it again. Wont do that to much considering ill have to get an allignment every time i raise and lower the coils.
I would imagine if you are low enough to get rid of the wheel gap, you are already far beyond a simple alignment to make things "square" again. I would also assume your handling is on the verge of being unsafe for both the driver, and the various suspension products that are now geometricly unsound.

Eventhough you have the sensation of "better handling" due to the harsher ride, and lack of body roll, as stated above, that doesn't necessarly mean your handling is improved. I'd be really afraid to take a fast corner in your car and hit a bump or pot hold half way through it. There's no "give". The same thing happens when people set their sway bars as stiff as possible, and then wonder why they spun out into a ditch with no warning.

And yeah, to most of us, "slammed" brings visions of mini trucks with skid plates, so what did you expect? lol

P.S. What's "hard parking"?

Last edited by halfass872; 12-04-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2009 | 06:27 AM
jasabeast

Originally Posted by halfass872
I would imagine if you are low enough to get rid of the wheel gap, you are already far beyond a simple alignment to make things "square" again. I would also assume your handling is on the verge of being unsafe for both the driver, and the various suspension products that are now geometricly unsound.

Eventhough you have the sensation of "better handling" due to the harsher ride, and lack of body roll, as stated above, that doesn't necessarly mean your handling is improved. I'd be really afraid to take a fast corner in your car and hit a bump or pot hold half way through it. There's no "give". The same thing happens when people set their sway bars as stiff as possible, and then wonder why they spun out into a ditch with no warning.

And yeah, to most of us, "slammed" brings visions of mini trucks with skid plates, so what did you expect? lol

P.S. What's "hard parking"?
Hard parking is being so low its basically undrivable.. for like shows ever seen those cars where your like how do you even drive kinda like that.. lol... but idk im not trying to rip my exhaust off and sound like a civic.. so that may not happen idk lol.. Here is my cars height now i wanna get my rear a but lower and the front a tad more..
Old 12-04-2009 | 03:07 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

y does this conversation keep going? i explained the exact reason why. some like form, some like fucntion, i like my car low and thats that. i understand everyone has their own opinion, and thats my opinion. that was all chen asked about
Old 12-04-2009 | 03:21 PM
jasabeast

y does this conversation keep going? i explained the exact reason why. some like form, some like fucntion, i like my car low and thats that. i understand everyone has their own opinion, and thats my opinion. that was all chen asked about
Old 12-04-2009 | 07:38 PM
Chen

Yep, basically. The thing with VW's is that they ALL do the same thing...ALL OF THEM! Go retarded low and get wheels that usually cost more than the effing car! So, i thought going retarded low is a thing done with Z's now. I was just curious.
Old 12-05-2009 | 07:31 AM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by halfass872
+1

Z = the new minitruck
^^^
Yeah i dumpd the hell out all my old cars (rx-7,older supra, bmw).

But the Z isnt going to be.

All the money wasted on lowering our cars the right way not just springs and shocks/coilovers.

Subtle drop FTMFW...

Last edited by 350zfan1; 12-05-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:10 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by 350zfan1

All the money wasted on lowering our cars the right way not just springs and shocks/coilovers.

Subtle drop FTMFW...
Even if you lower it the right way, it's still not going to be sutible for DD in any road condition.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:20 AM
jasabeast

My front is pretty low and i have not hit anything... you must live on some ghetto azz roads..
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:32 AM
350zfan1

My front is pretty low and i have not hit anything... you must live on some ghetto azz roads..
Seem's like MD has them every were then.

Right around columbia , fort meade , annapolis , va ... .

Take a trip to atlanta and you guys will see some nice flat smooth roads that would make you cry for joy.

Oh and jason my v2 front is way lower than your stock bumper with-out lowering...

Last edited by 350zfan1; 12-05-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:51 AM
halfass872

Yeah the roads are pretty bad in some places here, but you'll find that in any overcrowded city.

I'm talking more like the unavoidable. Including, but not limited to Inclines/declines (gas stations), rainwater covered potholes that look like puddles, roadkill, getting caught in a sudden downpour causing minor flooding, debris in the roadway. Those all could cause damage on a stock height car, but on a "slammed" car could be catastrophic!

Like i said before. When you have to start planning your routes to avoid dips in the road, or chance ripping off your bumper because you ran over roadkill, that's when things become impractical. Not to mention the excesive wear and tear on your suspension, and the dangerous effects of having improper geometry.
Old 12-05-2009 | 12:14 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

i am slammed, with coilovers, edfc, sways, lower strut bars, front top strut bar, and i dd my car 110% i may scrape something once a week. its not that bad, if your smart. i learned the bad spots that i usually drive on. and like i said before, if i know where i am going has bad roads, or dont know, then we take the gf's lexus

Quick Reply: 04fairlazdyz (*pics inside*)