Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Im in the market for a new chefs knife.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Jgrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im in the market for a new chefs knife.

Got any recommendations? Im looking for people who actually know about this stuff so dont just post random ish about Wustoff and J. A. Henkels. I was leaning toward more a Japanese style like maybe the Tojiro Flash 8.5in. Anyone have anything they like?

Jeffie? Any other chefs out there have some experience?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom used to sell Cutco and has there full knife set forever warranty on them and they are some of the best knifes I have ever used.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you care about looks or just function?

I like the Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch. No-slip handle, holds an edge well, priced well. The only thing I don't like is veggies stick and climb up the side when dicing. Might pick up a Granton Santoku from them soon to see if the grooves help with that.

FWIW This line has consistently won recommendation/praise from Cook's Illustrated.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
woodrow88

jeffie is your man to goto sir
Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Chen

Originally Posted by Barnabas
My mom used to sell Cutco and has there full knife set forever warranty on them and they are some of the best knifes I have ever used.

Cutco called me today and asked if I wanted to be a seller for them haha. I hear their products are supposed to be awesome!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

They are VERY nice!!! I wish I could afford a full kitchen set from them.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Chen

Originally Posted by Barnabas
They are VERY nice!!! I wish I could afford a full kitchen set from them.
How much do they go for? Just race the dude with the Hyundai for monies and get them!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
dkmesa350z

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
Got any recommendations? Im looking for people who actually know about this stuff so dont just post random ish about Wustoff and J. A. Henkels. I was leaning toward more a Japanese style like maybe the Tojiro Flash 8.5in. Anyone have anything they like?

Jeffie? Any other chefs out there have some experience?
Was going to say my lady is very satisfied with the Wusthof I got her a year and a half ago.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
MDHRZ

PM Jeffie
Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get a machete they last forever and you can hit stuff pretty hard
Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Was going to say my lady is very satisfied with the Wusthof I got her a year and a half ago.
Don't get me wrong, I've loved my wusthof for the last 5 years. I've used the hell out of it. I just know how people are. They will just regurgitate what they "think" is good without ever using multipile kinds of knives. I've loved the European knives I've owned I'm just looking for Japanese folded steel or something like that.

And I was thinking more samurai sword than machete. Might as well go all out.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
jamesdean

We have both of those ,the wife says Wusthof is the way to go in her opinion. She is a professional chef btw for what its worth. She isnt familiar with the jap knife and also advised if your really looking for a high quality knife Henkels isn't it...made some comment in referance to Walmart chef knife or something. Also would depend on budget for her to be more specific and type of knife,blade etc... to her asking for the best chefs nice is like asking for the best mod to do to a Z without knowing about the car etc..

Last edited by jamesdean; 07-07-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever fits your hand the best. Just remember you get what you pay for, I would get the pro line of whatever knife you get, at least just for the chef knife.

I use mostly all h k henkels pro S knives, I've used them for about 5 years now, great knives. although I'm thinking about making the change to shun knives. I haven't been able to get my hands on a set for use yet.

Here's the thing with cutco knives. People who don't cook, who are not restaurant people, love them.
however I don't know of a single person who cooks for a living, or is even is a bigg time home cook (not mom that enjoys cooking) but legit cooks. not a single one uses them.
Plus cutco is sold by random sells people so you always hear how great they are from a person who either sells them or at one point sold them. Come to think of it I dont know anyone personally that owns a set that didn't sell them lol.

IMO Cutco is about as good as bose sound equipment. People who are not in the know love them people who are in the know go, meh. well, ok, maybe not that bad, they are not bad, but I'd never give up my henkels for a set.

In the end, its all about the fit, you will use the knife that fits your hand the best.

Get out there and get as many knifes in your hands, try to buy the knife that fits you best, i could last you 10-20-30 years.

Last edited by jeffie7; 07-07-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Z33@SIM

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Whatever fits your hand the best. Just remember you get what you pay for, I would get the pro line of whatever knife you get, at least just for the chef knife.

I use mostly all h k henkels pro S knives, I've used them for about 5 years now, great knives. although I'm thinking about making the change to shun knives. I haven't been able to get my hands on a set for use yet.

Here's the thing with cutco knives. People who don't cook, who are not restaurant people, love them.
however I don't know of a single person who cooks for a living, or is even is a bigg time home cook (not mom that enjoys cooking) but legit cooks. not a single one uses them.
Plus cutco is sold by random sells people so you always hear how great they are from a person who either sells them or at one point sold them. Come to think of it I dont know anyone personally that owns a set that didn't sell them lol.

IMO Cutco is about as good as bose sound equipment. People who are not in the know love them people who are in the know go, meh. well, ok, maybe not that bad, they are not bad, but I'd never give up my henkels for a set.

In the end, its all about the fit, you will use the knife that fits your hand the best.

Get out there and get as many knifes in your hands, try to buy the knife that fits you best, i could last you 10-20-30 years.
agreed 100%

everyday Im hustlin with dis
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM
jeffie7

tempting.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Chen

Just get one of those and you'll be set!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Jgrizzle

Originally Posted by jamesdean
We have both of those ,the wife says Wusthof is the way to go in her opinion. She is a professional chef btw for what its worth. She isnt familiar with the jap knife and also advised if your really looking for a high quality knife Henkels isn't it...made some comment in referance to Walmart chef knife or something. Also would depend on budget for her to be more specific and type of knife,blade etc... to her asking for the best chefs nice is like asking for the best mod to do to a Z without knowing about the car etc..
Oh I completely understand. I think what I was looking for is maybe a little more info on the blades themselves. I know about hardness and shaprness ratings and stuff like that. Im looking for info on ceramic vs carbide etc. Not what I can look up on the net but maybe some real life experience. Its like everything else out there everyone will be haters or nut huggers i was just trying to see what I could find out. For example I know I some materials will rust if you use them on acidic things like tomatos and onions while some will just get a nice petina on them.

So basically what im looking for is a knife for everyday use preparing 1-2 meals a day that can handle most of my veggie and meat cutting. I was looking for something about 8.5inches (sorry Chen). Ive noticed i dont like really blade heavy knives and I want a handle a little on the long side. I dunno if that helps.

got a place that has a wide range of knives I can go "test drive" only things I can use is what my chef friends have, and that represents a decent amount of knives.

tempting.
That thing is beautiful. thats the style im looking for I think (FWIW)

Thanks for the input guys

Last edited by Jgrizzle; 07-08-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 AM
jamesdean

I will ask her opinion this evening when I see her again, I know around the house she just uses knives she gets free from work lol. She's not much into status or anything like that plus if they go bad she jsut brings another one home...perks of her career..although I prefer the perk of all the Fab food she brings home. Its fantastic to eat like a king and spend less than 50 a week at the grocery lol.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Jgrizzle

I will ask her opinion this evening when I see her again, I know around the house she just uses knives she gets free from work lol. She's not much into status or anything like that plus if they go bad she jsut brings another one home...perks of her career..although I prefer the perk of all the Fab food she brings home. Its fantastic to eat like a king and spend less than 50 a week at the grocery lol.
Thats awesome. Im into status either. I dont need the rarest wheels made from alloys flown in from Mars. I could care less whats on the label. However, "Price" and "quality" probably go hand in hand when it comes to knives....... Im guessing anyway.

Im gonna try to get my hands on one of those shun chefs knives. I like the damascus look but apparently they dont rust like true damascus knives.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 AM
jeffie7

lol thats pretty funny coming from a pro chef. Did she use the lower end Henkels? they do make entry level knifes that I wouldn't touch. However the pro S line is damn near the same as the Wusthof, about the same price, damn near the same edge on the blade and same handle. both are made in Germany and both should even have the same blade angle.

Sounds like someone talked smack about them and she followed the trend. I'd gladly spend 200-300-400 on a good chef knife and didn't see a big difference in either of the German knifes, however in the end, the #1 thing is what fits your hand the best.

Like I said I'm most likely going to make the switch from henkels but to say they're not a good knife or saying walmart like? sounds like opinion she picked up from kitchen talk of a person who just disliked them for some reason.

Im gonna try to get my hands on one of those shun chefs knives. I like the damascus look but apparently they dont rust like true damascus knives.
Just keep in mind the Shun knives are Japaneses and unlike the German knives they have a much thinner blade more razer like, This isn't always a good thing, it will mean having a higher risk of damaging the knife, having to hone the knife a lot more due to rolling the blade edge that much easier, and over all the upkeep will be more, plus you'll feel weird hacking through bones and doing any major butchering.

Ive noticed i dont like really blade heavy knives and I want a handle a little on the long side. I dunno if that helps.
A knife should be balanced and the handle doesn't need to be all that big if you're holding the knife correctly, you're thumb and index finger will hold the blade, the rest of your hand does very little gripping if any at all. it's just kinda there.

Quick Reply: Im in the market for a new chefs knife.