Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

How do the Harley guys get away with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I hold them in for my special friends =)
Stanky butt bastid.....
Old 08-29-2010, 08:00 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
A friend got pulled over and ticketed this weekend for his Agency Power exhaust. It's really not that loud, it's more a factor of this state stepping up enforcement because the state budget is running at a shortfall.

How do the mid-life crisis Harley guys get by? Every time I'm next to one of those abominations, I have to roll the windows up and turn the stereo loud and you can always hear one before you see it. I've even read that some Harley riders have to wear earplugs.

So how is it that cops harass the modified guys but not the Harley crowd?
My friend is not a revver. Anyone who has one knows that the AP single is very loud even under regular acceleration and it even drones on idle (it's kind of annoying actually).

I know for a fact that he wasn't driving like an idiot when he got pulled over, he rarely ever goes over 4K on the tach.

So I ask again, how do the Harley get away with it? I'm certain they do get pulled over but probably not at the rate of the modified cars. Also, I know that a lot of Harley riders like to rev so I wonder if they get cited for that.

So.... which one is it?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
So.... which one is it?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn ricers.

Remember, it's always the guy who wasn't doing anything that got the ticket.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
mid life crisis harley guys? ur a fcking idiot. Im 23 with a GSXR1000 and a HD Custom. Maybe u and ur friends should stop driving like morons/ricers and obey the law. THat includes not driving around at 6K rpm and reving up at every car thats faster
Wow I was surprised by some of the harsh comments in here. Yeah sure, maybe the OP shouldn't have singled out a demographic and just singled out loud motorcycles in general, but the ricer retorts were overly harsh.

I do know it is somewhat rare in MD for someone to get a fix-it-ticket for loud exhaust, but I regulary hear HD bikes that are obnoxiously louder than anything on the road and it always bothers me that there is no penalty for them.

On an often basis I see loud HD owners (sport bike guys do it every once in a while too) sit at lights and bring their revs up and down and it is not some crazy cam-idle either, it is all wrist throttle action.

Additionally the only HD owners I see driving the speed limit are the old folk and the regular folk owners.

I definitely feel they get away with a lot more than what import car owners do. I've never gotten one, but I was paranoid while I had my motordyne dual shockwaves on that I'd get some unwanted attention because in regular driving that system is LOUD.

Locally in my area, muscle/domestic car owners get away with it too. Granted the only import owners I've met getting hit up with loud exhaust tickets were some really bad put-together hondas or super loud Subarus (some of the loudest cars on the street). There is a local mustang GT that is running open piped with long tube and I swear I have never heard anything louder with four wheels and license plate on it. I met him at the local weekly car show and he has never been pulled over questioned about the exhaust.

I'm all for someone getting a ticket for driving like a douche and if the cop wants to throw in an exhaust violation to be dick about it, fine. I just dont get why they bother for daily driving conditions when the person is driving normally.

Jeffie, I feel you about douche bikers too. I dont ride, but I grew up around my dad who has always had bikes and always drove responsibly, so I just wish death upon the idiots on the highway pulling tricks...in fact sometime I want to cause it. I hate lane cross-cutters too, use the shoulder or just wait like everyone else.

I'm just more worried about a tint violation, mine is just under legal.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 AM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Damn ricers.

Remember, it's always the guy who wasn't doing anything that got the ticket.
Damn Skippy. Me and my lawyer will be standing in front of a judge October 8th.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Damn Skippy. Me and my lawyer will be standing in front of a judge October 8th.
Don't cause other cars to hit their brakes

While you're there, take pictures of the Asian officer.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one of the loudest exhausts you can get for the Z. With this setup Ive never been harassed for the exhaust by any cops.

When I was NA, down in Ocean City for the import car show weekend, among hundreds of other imports-most 4cylinders with fart cans, I was CRUISING down the inlet, 3rd gear barely above idle. Civics and Neons sped by me the entire time. Cop pulls me over out of the blue. Why? He gave me a ticket for exhaust.

Some cops just have it out for some people for different reasons, Ive never been driving so calm in my life and been pulled over....
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 AM
PikeZ_350

There really are fuc*ing douchebags on this forum....I mean seriously. Why do some of you feel the need to be a dick to people, all the time? The ricer comments are hilarious....we all need to wake up and realize that WE ARE ALL RICERS!

I have an AP single, and Megan Racing y-pipe. Is it loud? Yes. Does it sound good? Yes. Am I "ricer" because I have it? No. I don't drive like an idiot...I've never had trouble with cops caring about my exhaust. They actually probably LIKE it...compared to the POS honda civic's that are louder than my Z, sounding like a weed-eater driving down the street revving to 9k to impress the mini-van next to them.

There will ALWAYS be "those" cops that will give you a ticket for BS.....because they can get away with it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 AM
350zfan1

Originally Posted by Alberto
I have one of the loudest exhausts you can get for the Z. With this setup Ive never been harassed for the exhaust by any cops.

When I was NA, down in Ocean City for the import car show weekend, among hundreds of other imports-most 4cylinders with fart cans, I was CRUISING down the inlet, 3rd gear barely above idle. Civics and Neons sped by me the entire time. Cop pulls me over out of the blue. Why? He gave me a ticket for exhaust.

Some cops just have it out for some people for different reasons, Ive never been driving so calm in my life and been pulled over....
^^^^^

Your car is loud .......pshht never .

You would figure when you turbo a car it gets quiet not more loud in your case .
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 AM
GalvatronType_R

Okay, fine, my friend's AP single is loud but not relative to other aftermarket exhausts I've heard. Also, again, he rarely goes above 4K on the tach (he's a gas mileage cheapskate) and even though I wasn't there, I'm certain that he wasn't revving when he got pulled over.

He's also not a ricer, besides the exhaust, popcharger, and front lip, those are the only mods on that car.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

blah blah blah. we wouldnt there so we dont know. If i take my car to 4k RPM its loud as ****. And the comments by Pikes saying were all ricers then does my loud exhaust make me a ricer=No is pretty confusing post. if ur friend was driving like a idiot and reving his car for the cops to hear him then ALL the ricers before did. One person always ruins it all. My buddy got his dick sucked at a strip club and got drunk and told his gf. Now neither one of us can go back. They had great food there 2
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 AM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

blah blah blah. we wouldnt there so we dont know. If i take my car to 4k RPM its loud as ****. And the comments by Pikes saying were all ricers then does my loud exhaust make me a ricer=No is pretty confusing post. if ur friend was driving like a idiot and reving his car for the cops to hear him then ALL the ricers before did. One person always ruins it all. My buddy got his dick sucked at a strip club and got drunk and told his gf. Now neither one of us can go back. They had great food there 2
Why did he tell his gf? That's all i got out of that post sorry.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

Originally Posted by illjim69
But if they are going to pull people over for "loud exhaust", then just about every bike in America needs a fix-it ticket.
I always wondered about the OP's topic. The issue has nothing to do with reckless/ricer/bikers it has to do with why motorcycles are allowed to have obnoxiously loud exausts.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by Alberto
This is what it boils down to.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
xzotklr

A friend got pulled over and ticketed this weekend for his Agency Power exhaust. It's really not that loud, it's more a factor of this state stepping up enforcement because the state budget is running at a shortfall.

How do the mid-life crisis Harley guys get by? Every time I'm next to one of those abominations, I have to roll the windows up and turn the stereo loud and you can always hear one before you see it. I've even read that some Harley riders have to wear earplugs.

So how is it that cops harass the modified guys but not the Harley crowd?
Harley = American
Nissan = Not

Simple!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by PikeZ_350
There really are fuc*ing douchebags on this forum....I mean seriously. Why do some of you feel the need to be a dick to people, all the time? The ricer comments are hilarious....we all need to wake up and realize that WE ARE ALL RICERS!

I have an AP single, and Megan Racing y-pipe. Is it loud? Yes. Does it sound good? Yes. Am I "ricer" because I have it? No. I don't drive like an idiot...I've never had trouble with cops caring about my exhaust. They actually probably LIKE it...compared to the POS honda civic's that are louder than my Z, sounding like a weed-eater driving down the street revving to 9k to impress the mini-van next to them.

There will ALWAYS be "those" cops that will give you a ticket for BS.....because they can get away with it.
EXACTLY the point of this thread!!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 AM
WYZIWYG

Don't really care about the rest, just need the club name/address.

thanks,

Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
MDHRZ

How do the mid-life crisis Harley guys get by? Every time I'm next to one of those abominations...
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I just don't worry about the loudness of the other folk's motors. My Z has the stock exhaust so I don't get hassled when driving. My other car is a Grand Caravan and they don't hassle me when driving that either.

It appears the loud exhaust just draws attention to your car. Therefore, just don't make it loud and they will leave you alone.

Quick Reply: How do the Harley guys get away with it?