Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Mid-A Random-ness Discussion Thread: the Zequel

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advices and suggestions. Here's my situation.

The house is an APPROVED short sale and I'm willing to pay for that approved price. Built in 1957 with an extension previously done to the house. There's no HOA It's a 1 level rambler with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Huge piece of land I can literally build another house in the backyard. Taking a walk into the house quickly realizing it needs quite a bit of work in the house. They put up some silly wall probably to house labor immigrants like Robbie suggested. But yea now here comes my biggest concern which is related to loan. I'm doing a FHA loan since I can't afford a conventional loan at this point. With FHA an appraiser has to come out and determine the house is in livable condition. Right up the front I know the house needs a few small things done to be considered "livable". Say if I go ahead and spend 2, 3k to make the house livable in order to get the loan. How would I know the bank or the seller won't do anything shady and back out and I'd have put money to fix a house that doesn't even belong to me?

Robbie I sent u the address via Facebook
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Jgrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314

The house is an APPROVED short sale and I'm willing to pay for that approved price. Built in 1957 with an extension previously done to the house. There's no HOA It's a 1 level rambler with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. Huge piece of land I can literally build another house in the backyard. Taking a walk into the house quickly realizing it needs quite a bit of work in the house. They put up some silly wall probably to house labor immigrants like Robbie suggested. But yea now here comes my biggest concern which is related to loan. I'm doing a FHA loan since I can't afford a conventional loan at this point. With FHA an appraiser has to come out and determine the house is in livable condition. Right up the front I know the house needs a few small things done to be considered "livable". Say if I go ahead and spend 2, 3k to make the house livable in order to get the loan. How would I know the bank or the seller won't do anything shady and back out and I'd have put money to fix a house that doesn't even belong to me?

You should talk to your loan officer about the best way to do something like that.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Jgrizzle

It sounds like a real fixer upper E10. Maybe not the best for a first time home buyer. just my .02 You may be the most handy asian in the world and I may not know it.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
NNOCENT

you dont know, you used to be able to make improvements prior to closing, but not any more.

you should research a 203k FHA loan if there are significant improvements made.

if everything is little, and you have liquid cash above your downpayment, then i would jsut pay out of pocket to get the little things fixed.

the other concern is that even if they are little things, if they make the house non-standard FHA qualifiable, you MUST go the 203k route, or buy the house with all cash

Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
NNOCENT

Originally Posted by kyle22
They have .50 cent pitchers at my local bar tonight....they know how to get me
where?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

E10, I think i mentioned this b4 in another thread. Most of the women at my job are single/divorced and sometimes when they needed work done [simple stuff] they'd host painting parties or whatever parties. A group of four of us knocked out painting 3 rooms, a hallway and a bathroom in one day. Something to keep in mind if you decide to buy and need assistance with simple upgrades.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Driven1
Professional

Ill look at it soon and get back to you mang.

Do NOT put any money into something you don't own. Period.

By "livable" I assume they mean "able to be occupied". In new construction this is actually pretty loose and technically you don't even need to have flooring for a CoA (Certificate of Occupancy). Water, electric, heat and structural stability are pretty much the only "requirements" (I wont go into what some jurisdictions "require" though...meh ). In 1958 the national codes and guidelines hadn't yet been established so a hard look into the electrical infrastructure will be needed.

Ill be in Falls Church tomorrow at our condos for a settlement mang and Ill give it a drive by. If need be I can also go to the city and pull what docs they have on it as well (if any).

Edit: Is it currently occupied? Can you also send me a list of what you found/know needs to be done?

Last edited by Driven1; 10-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 PM
NNOCENT

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
E10, I think i mentioned this b4 in another thread. Most of the women at my job are single/divorced and sometimes when they needed work done [simple stuff] they'd host painting parties or whatever parties. A group of four of us knocked out painting 3 rooms, a hallway and a bathroom in one day. Something to keep in mind if you decide to buy and need assistance with simple upgrades.
CLAY,

If they are good lookin and willing to wear lingerie, I need my WHOLE house painted, and I have a few friends who may also neen interior paint work...

Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Driven1
Ill look at it soon and get back to you mang.

Do NOT put any money into something you don't own. Period.

By "livable" I assume they mean "able to be occupied". In new construction this is actually pretty loose and technically you don't even need to have flooring for a COA (Certificate of Occupancy). Water, electric, heat and structural stability are pretty much the only "requirements" (I wont go into what some jurisdictions "require" though...meh ). In 1958 the national codes and guidelines hadn't yet been established so a hard look into the electrical infrastructure will be needed.

Ill be in Falls Church tomorrow at our condos for a settlement mang and Ill give it a drive by. If need be I can also go to the city and pull what docs they have on it as well (if any).
Thank you sir!!! You can walk right into the house via the backdoor. It's unlocked
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
LOL oh boy now you have some good suggestions there
Old 10-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
HPX?
Originally Posted by kyle22
Hpx?
they make the upgraded air flow meters that most of the FI guys use as well as some of the more modified NA guys. gives a greater tuning ability and can read more airflow.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Jgrizzle

Only FI guys know about the ish Kyle. We arent cool enough. They teach it to you at the special FI meeting after you pay your $20000 entrance fee.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Barnabas

Only FI guys know about the ish Kyle. We arent cool enough. They teach it to you at the special FI meeting after you pay your $20000 entrance fee.

it isnt nearly that much
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

plus you need to prove that you're sick nasty

Last edited by bb1314; 10-27-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by NNOCENT
CLAY,

If they are good lookin and willing to wear lingerie, I need my WHOLE house painted, and I have a few friends who may also neen interior paint work...

Unfortunately, all the cute ones left/got married/had babiez and all the wildebeasts remained. :0(

Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Jgrizzle

plus you need to prove that you're sick nasty
E10 I think you forgot who you are talking to.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 PM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lmao!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn E10 you're balling once again.
Lmk if you need some work done I have some hook ups you know how I roll..lol

So you won't get raped by contractors although you probably want it.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
kori

random thought: i have a pharmacology test tomorrow and this site always distracts me from studying! LOL!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Barnabas

lol I have made it so far through college without studying.. why start now lol

Quick Reply: Mid-A Random-ness Discussion Thread: the Zequel