Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Mid-A Random-ness Discussion Thread: the Zequel

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Shin Beats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Why are you so worried about your beats being stolen? I've posted many videos/mp3s of my stuff over the years, some of them getting 20,000+ downloads.

I put my name in the file data and if its a video I'll have Jeff Northam listed. but that's it. If someone really wants to steal it, they can go right ahead.

What I do find ironic is how you sampled your background music from other peoples work and put it in your own. So you stole music, laid a beat on top, then recorded it with a tagline so no one steals it again.

Next Saturday around 8pm we plan on going to Cafe Asia in Arlington VA. I have a handful of people going, but since it's a very large place that has 3 bars and later at night a dance floor, it can fit a lot of people. If anyone wants to join in. Just show up. Doubt we'll sit together but after dinner we can all hang out at the bar.

Be warned, street parking is almost always taken, there's parking under the building but it's paid parking. Car pooling is always a good idea.
You deal with very different clientele(sp?) than me, Jeff. I know if I can rip something from youtube, then so can they.

I'll be out of town this weekend. Uncle got a C6 Z06 and me and my dad are going to New York to check it out.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't wreck it^
Old 11-27-2011, 05:57 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shin Beats
You deal with very different clientele(sp?) than me, Jeff. I know if I can rip something from youtube, then so can they.

I'll be out of town this weekend. Uncle got a C6 Z06 and me and my dad are going to New York to check it out.
Ooooo time to raceeee!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Shin Beats

lol no racing. I'd only race if I had one of our FI Z crew's cars.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 PM
user 7373

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope he isn't going to let you drive it, we don't need a repeat of jeffs vid
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shin please drive it on video. Show me how to power shift 1-2 son...
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shin I want you to write a song about how surprise you are to see an Asian man with an oversize pen1s.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Jgrizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
Shin I want you to write a song about how surprise you are to see an Asian man with an oversize pen1s.
This made me laugh. So random
Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
This made me laugh. So random
What in God's name?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you find it ironic that you rip stuff from mp3s/youtube/tv/wherever, then cut it up then use it in your own music production. Only to lay a beat on top of it then reverb it out to hell then call it your own? Then have to make sure no one does the same to you?

What do you mean by I have different clientele? How does that keep people from stealing? You steal from movies soundtracks/classical music. I'd say that's pretty different clientele all together.

The clip that Alberto posted. Where did those strings come from?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Shin Beats

You should check out fair use laws, Jeffery. None of my beats are available for commercial use, so I'm not doing anything illegal.

I'm sure if I was doing anything illegal then YouTube would take my beat channel down as well as all the other producers on YouTube who sample. But we're not doing anything illegal because most of the beats being produced are mixtape only.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Shin Beats

I would also like to note there's a little more than cut and reverb done to the samples that I select.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
WYZIWYG

Berto, Jeff: can I mix a HTIB setup with a decent set of tower speakers to go with the TV and the PS3? I'm looking over the BB site right now.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yes you can but that takes the idea out of the simple HTITB

If you like the idea of towers, you may as well do rear speakers, and if you're going to piece that out you may as well find a decent receiver and subwoofer and piece it all out.

I wouldnt spend money on towers and not make it a 5.1 IMO

Last edited by Alberto; 11-28-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by Alberto
Yes you can but that takes the idea out of the simple HTITB

If you like the idea of towers, you may as well do rear speakers, and if you're going to piece that out you may as well find a decent receiver and subwoofer and piece it all out.

I wouldnt spend money on towers and not make it a 5.1 IMO
What's 5.1? And just to keep it simple, should I just go with the HTIB and then maybe add more if I want a better sound?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
What's 5.1? And just to keep it simple, should I just go with the HTIB and then maybe add more if I want a better sound?

1 Front left, 1 front right
1 rear left, 1 rear right
1 center + 1 sub.

1-2-3-4-5 + 1

Rear speakers can be cheap. I'd put most of your money into a good center speaker and good front left/front right. With nice front speakers you wont need a sub. In fact since you're in a condo I wouldn't even think about doing a sub.

I skipped the sub in my apartment, now that I can crank up my speakers I've found that they do more then enough to keep me happy so I still haven't bought a sub and have zero plans on buying one unless I redo my whole system for the next house. But that is vary far off.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
c'mon Clay!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
jeffie7

You should check out fair use laws, Jeffery. None of my beats are available for commercial use, so I'm not doing anything illegal.

I'm sure if I was doing anything illegal then YouTube would take my beat channel down as well as all the other producers on YouTube who sample. But we're not doing anything illegal because most of the beats being produced are mixtape only.
So if I download Windows 7 and put it onto a CD and sell it on the street. does that make it ok since I'm not selling it through a store front?

Check out your youtube page. You speak about your beats being for sell all over it.

Why has youtube not taken any of your videos down? Because they don't care. You get 20-100 views on your videos. If you start getting big into views, you might see some of your stuff coming down. I've had a handful of my videos get yanked or the audio muted because I had music on the radio in the background. It happens when you start getting ad support with youtube as with views from people other then linked friends.

Can you use other peoples work in your own videos if you're not selling them? Sure, but if they say anything about it, it will be pulled. Chances are you wont have any issues. If you start selling beats at $10.00 $50.00 $100.00 or $1000.00 a pop and someone puts two and two together you better bet you'll find yourself in a lawsuit. Even if it was sold to your best friend. If money changed hands..... That's all that matters.

Like I said before. Even all of my samples that get mapped out to my keyboard where I have to play each note one by one and write my own music. If I don't publish their info in any items I've sold I can be sued. Even if I wrote 100% of it.

Doesn't matter who buys it, what matters is I'm making money off it.

So how does a typical day in the world of Shins recording studio go? Fill us in on the hard work that goes into making a beat.

P.S did you check out my links? Pro tools is $749 down from $1250 They even have an audio interface for $199.99 down from $299.99 although you might not need an Audio interface if you just keep ripping samples/clips from youtube.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

For most people though, who dont absolutely require true surround 5.1, a good HTIB will work. Thats what I use for my living room, the sub is awesome for when you want to turn it up though.

My basement with my actual surrond sound, 500W sub, etc, when playing COD is hard fawking hitting.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by pfregeolle
c'mon Clay!
lol pretty much sums it up.

Buy a legit receiver that is the base for any good setup. HTIB are cheap and when 1 item breaks, it's trash. If looking for something to work for the time being... It's not a bad option, but down the road when you want to upgrade it, you will replace 100% of it.

A good receiver should last you 10-15-20 years. The JVC my parents has from the early 90s is still kicking ***, only downside to it is it doesnt have HDMI support. So over 20+ years the biggest upside to receivers has been added HDMI.

Clay how much are you looking to spend on everything? TV, receiver, speakers, cables, repeaters (if doing it legit) and stand?

Quick Reply: Mid-A Random-ness Discussion Thread: the Zequel