Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Mid-A Random-ness Discussion Thread: the Zequel

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"Play like the rest of them, but work hard like a Mexican" ?? Hahaha
Old 11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Shin Beats

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
So if I download Windows 7 and put it onto a CD and sell it on the street. does that make it ok since I'm not selling it through a store front?

Check out your youtube page. You speak about your beats being for sell all over it.

Why has youtube not taken any of your videos down? Because they don't care. You get 20-100 views on your videos. If you start getting big into views, you might see some of your stuff coming down. I've had a handful of my videos get yanked or the audio muted because I had music on the radio in the background. It happens when you start getting ad support with youtube as with views from people other then linked friends.

Can you use other peoples work in your own videos if you're not selling them? Sure, but if they say anything about it, it will be pulled. Chances are you wont have any issues. If you start selling beats at $10.00 $50.00 $100.00 or $1000.00 a pop and someone puts two and two together you better bet you'll find yourself in a lawsuit. Even if it was sold to your best friend. If money changed hands..... That's all that matters.

Like I said before. Even all of my samples that get mapped out to my keyboard where I have to play each note one by one and write my own music. If I don't publish their info in any items I've sold I can be sued. Even if I wrote 100% of it.

Doesn't matter who buys it, what matters is I'm making money off it.

So how does a typical day in the world of Shins recording studio go? Fill us in on the hard work that goes into making a beat.

P.S did you check out my links? Pro tools is $749 down from $1250 They even have an audio interface for $199.99 down from $299.99 although you might not need an Audio interface if you just keep ripping samples/clips from youtube.
Jeff, you don't produce for rap artists, so I'm not sure if you know how this all works/the difference between actually composing something and making a beat. I've actually spoken to this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/Movm3ntmov3in

He has produced for DipSet and does the same type of beats that I do, and he gave me the basic rundown of the rules and regulations for selling a beat. According to him, I can sell the beat as long as it's only being used for promotional purposes (such as, a mixtape being distributed on datpiff.com, or the likes).

He has more views than me. His stuff hasn't gotten taken down and we do the same thing.

What now?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got myself a Samsung 55" LED 240hz TV, 7.1 Pioneer receiver and all Onkyo speakers. Just bought a Logitech universal remote. I'm as happy as any fat man could get.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:46 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shin Beats
Jeff, you don't produce for rap artists, so I'm not sure if you know how this all works/the difference between actually composing something and making a beat. I've actually spoken to this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/Movm3ntmov3in

He has produced for DipSet and does the same type of beats that I do, and he gave me the basic rundown of the rules and regulations for selling a beat. According to him, I can sell the beat as long as it's only being used for promotional purposes (such as, a mixtape being distributed on datpiff.com, or the likes).

He has more views than me. His stuff hasn't gotten taken down and we do the same thing.

What now?
Wow some of his older videos have 900 views!!!!!!!

So what you're saying is this one guy told you the rules of music ripping off and that makes it ok?

So rap artist have their own set of laws?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

lol pretty much sums it up.

Buy a legit receiver that is the base for any good setup. HTIB are cheap and when 1 item breaks, it's trash. If looking for something to work for the time being... It's not a bad option, but down the road when you want to upgrade it, you will replace 100% of it.

A good receiver should last you 10-15-20 years. The JVC my parents has from the early 90s is still kicking ***, only downside to it is it doesnt have HDMI support. So over 20+ years the biggest upside to receivers has been added HDMI.

Clay how much are you looking to spend on everything? TV, receiver, speakers, cables, repeaters (if doing it legit) and stand?
Sorry, I was always more into car audio than the home stuff since technically this is my 1st "home" and since my neighbors are so close I always have to be cognizant of not turning my sh*t up too loud. I've had the same HTIB and old tube TV for the past 11 years. It came with some small bookshelf speakers, a cheap receiver, and a subwoofer that always sounded pretty crappy. But it's what I could afford at the time so I bought it. I guess I just need to head up to BB and actually see/hear this stuff in action before making any decisions. Price? $600-800 or is that too cheap?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by bb1314
Got myself a Samsung 55" LED 240hz TV, 7.1 Pioneer receiver and all Onkyo speakers. Just bought a Logitech universal remote. I'm as happy as any fat man could get.
Nice! Looks like the Mid-A is going all out this Christmas!!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Shin Beats

Look at his total upload views, please.

And like I said..he has ACTUALLY PRODUCED for DipSet.

On top of that, if you ever listened to a DipSet mixtape, they have TONS of samples from random classical/theatrical pieces in their beats..for their mixtapes. They would be getting sued out of their asses (as well as their producers) if what Movm3nt is saying wasn't true.

http://youtu.be/BdJZhyMvKzI

That uses a sample from Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
jeffie7

Look at his total upload views, please.

And like I said..he has ACTUALLY PRODUCED for DipSet.

On top of that, if you ever listened to a DipSet mixtape, they have TONS of samples from random classical/theatrical pieces in their beats..for their mixtapes. They would be getting sued out of their asses (as well as their producers) if what Movm3nt is saying wasn't true.

http://youtu.be/BdJZhyMvKzI

That uses a sample from Final Fantasy VII's soundtrack.
That tells me they're still so small that the bigger companies don't want to waste time going after them.

Bottom line, you rip off youtube videos/songs and then use them for your own work then are worried about someone doing the same to you.

I removed you from AIM because of debates like this, it will never end. You're right. Keep ripping people off, you'll never have any issues if you were to ever get big As long as your idea of big is like the videos you just linked.

Here's an example of someone who isn't big yet but will be big. Check out her video views...

http://www.youtube.com/user/maddijanemusic

Just in case you can't figure out the #s. her newest movie is 20 days old and it has been viewed 1,725,208 times.

Last edited by jeffie7; 11-28-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Shin Beats

How do you know what I buy and what I don't? I have purchased albums from Immediate Music and Two Steps from Hell before.

I am not ripping anybody off if it's legal, and I'm not making thousands of dollars from this yet. And it's cool if you want to be a little girl and delete me off of AIM and whatever, I'm not worried about that anymore.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Shin Beats

Oh yeah DipSet sure is small.

http://youtu.be/g-9890dkOuA

ITT: Having $380,000 Phantoms=small.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 PM
jeffie7

How do you know what I buy and what I don't? I have purchased albums from Immediate Music and Two Steps from Hell before.

I am not ripping anybody off if it's legal, and I'm not making thousands of dollars from this yet. And it's cool if you want to be a little girl and delete me off of AIM and whatever, I'm not worried about that anymore.
Because you've told me you rip most your stuff off programs/samples/clips, and thats when I told you if you ever plan on getting big to start doing it legit.

I used the little girl as an example of a person who pulls views on youtube. not a massive 15K views like that guy who made it big, video.

So how much have you spent on software/samples? Honestly?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
jeffie7

Oh yeah DipSet sure is small.

http://youtu.be/g-9890dkOuA

ITT: Having $380,000 Phantoms=small.
Glad he can show off some bling. That is the end goal for you isnt it?

You're right I'm wrong. He's big, who here hasnt heard of him before.
So you keep on writing your big hits and when you get big I look forward to seeing your post/videos of all your whips.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:13 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Price? $600-800 or is that too cheap?
With or without TV?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
WYZIWYG

That tells me they're still so small that the bigger companies don't want to waste time going after them.

Bottom line, you rip off youtube videos/songs and then use them for your own work then are worried about someone doing the same to you.

I removed you from AIM because of debates like this, it will never end. You're right. Keep ripping people off, you'll never have any issues if you were to ever get big As long as your idea of big is like the videos you just linked.

Here's an example of someone who isn't big yet but will be big. Check out her video views...

http://www.youtube.com/user/maddijanemusic

Just in case you can't figure out the #s. her newest movie is 20 days old and it has been viewed 1,725,208 times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diplomats

Never really cared for Cam'Ron, Jim Jones or Juelz. They make mediocre music that's already been forgotten by a really fickle hip hop audience. I'm not jumping into this sampling debate, but I will say that some of the best music of the early-mid 90s featured layered sampling. Listen to any early Public Enemy to see what I mean. The Bomb Squad basically built a "wall of sound" out of hidden sampled material that was looped, played backwards, distorted, etc... It's become so expensive to pay the original artists that most of the music that we grew up on can never be duplicated today.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
WYZIWYG

With or without TV?
LOL, the TV has already been purchased. Just waiting on it to get here now. You think I should just get a receiver, towers and a sub? And call it a day?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Shin Beats

Jeff, for all the money you've invested into music, how much have you made back from it?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM
jeffie7

Never really cared for Cam'Ron, Jim Jones or Juelz. They make mediocre music that's already been forgotten by a really fickle hip hop audience. I'm not jumping into this sampling debate, but I will say that some of the best music of the early-mid 90s featured layered sampling. Listen to any early Public Enemy to see what I mean. The Bomb Squad basically built a "wall of sound" out of hidden sampled material that was looped, played backwards, distorted, etc... It's become so expensive to pay the original artists that most of the music that we grew up on can never be duplicated today.
I know a lot of people in the business and depending on where its from, they just get the ok from the company that holds the copyright. If a song has a clip of something else in it and it brings back exposure to the original song. It's a win win for everyone.

Sometimes people do want a flat 1 time payment or a % of the take, other times they don't care and like the extra exposure.

Bottom line, without written permission you're open for being sued.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Shin Beats

+1...that's why I will probably never go commercial.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
jeffie7

Jeff, for all the money you've invested into music, how much have you made back from it?
I could be in the hole $10K I could be pocketing $50K+ Maybe I've broke even? What does that matter? Does it justify using pirated software/ripped off clips if I haven't made any money off it?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM
jeffie7

LOL, the TV has already been purchased. Just waiting on it to get here now. You think I should just get a receiver, towers and a sub? And call it a day?
I'd get receiver, FL, FR, RL, RR, and Center channel speakers.
I wouldn't worry about a sub until after you set everything up and feel that you still need it. My cheap sony speakers pump out more then enough bass to the point where I don't feel I need a sub.

$600-800 should be more then enough for a legit receiver and a good center/FL/FR speakers as with some ok rear speakers.

Quick Reply: Mid-A Random-ness Discussion Thread: the Zequel