Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Home Security System recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RaeZ
And remember kids, if you don't kill them they can sue you....
If they can prove that they were trying to leave, yes. You cannot shoot someone who is trying to leave.

If someone gets shot anywhere other then the front, its a problem.

Good ole times in Maryland

Hours earlier, someone had broken into John Pontolillo's house and taken two laptops and a video-game console. Now it was past midnight, and he heard noises coming from the garage out back.

The Johns Hopkins University undergraduate didn't run. He didn't call the police. He grabbed his samurai sword.

With the 3- to 5-foot-long, razor-sharp weapon in hand, police say, Pontolillo crept toward the noise. He noticed a side door in the garage had been pried open. When a man inside lunged at him, police say, the confrontation was fatal.
"He was backed up against a corner and either out of fear or out of panic, he just struck the sword with force," said Baltimore Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. "It was probably with fear for his life."

Pontolillo, who rents the house in the 300 block of E. University Parkway in the Oakenshawe neighborhood, struck the intruder no more than twice, police say, nearly severing his left hand and inflicting what police termed a "spear laceration."

The intruder, Donald D. Rice of Baltimore, a 49-year-old repeat offender who had been released from jail only Saturday, died at the bloody scene.

Pontolillo, 20, of Wall, N.J., whose identity was confirmed by law enforcement sources, was released late Tuesday afternoon. Guglielmi said it would be up to the state's attorney's office to determine whether he will be charged in the incident.

In a statement Tuesday, Hopkins officials told students there had been more than a half-dozen burglaries in the area recently, and that police presence would be bolstered.

Diego Ardila, a Hopkins student who lived with Pontolillo in the three-story, five-bedroom house during the summer, said Pontolillo owned a samurai sword and generally kept it in his room. He described Pontolillo as somewhat outgoing, but said they didn't talk a lot.

"You don't expect to hear that someone you know killed a guy with a samurai sword," said Ardila, 19. "From what little I know of him, he wasn't some guy going out to kill."

It is legal to possess a sword in Baltimore, Guglielmi said, and "individuals have a right to defend their person and their property." He declined to comment on whether its use in this case was appropriate.

University of Maryland professor David Gray, who specializes in criminal law, said prosecutors must weigh whether Pontolillo felt his life was in danger or whether he became the aggressor.
That was 2009 so clearly the law has been in place for awhile. I remember reading that no charges ever came up.

For the record. I already have a sword =) however I'm going for my 12 gauge before anything else.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember that case but dont know for sure if he was or wasnt charged.

POS got what he deserved.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Goo$e
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaeZ
And remember kids, if you don't kill them they can sue you....
+1 Shoot to Kill

only 1 side to the story to tell
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Kirkster

If you shoot someone in MD, even in your home you will be headed to jail for the night (at least).

Steps to remember if you shoot someone (or brandish a weapon and the guy runs).

1) Call the cops (even if the guy runs away call the cops).
2) CALL YOUR LAWYER right after you get off the phone with the cops.
3) Photograph the scene as it is for your LAWYER, don't tell the cops, just your lawyer that you have photos of the scene (its for your own protection).
4) When the cops arrive, be helpful but say as little as possible to the cops until your lawyer arrives. The cops are not your friend and have no interest in acting in your best interest, that is what your lawyer is for...
5) It is not going to be cheap. In fact it is probably going to cost about as much as Alberto has spent doing turbo's on his Z...

If I forgot to mention it. Never Ever talk to the cops without your lawyer present. I would issue just a simple statement about being in fear for my family and ask for my lawyer. And then break out the checkbook for the retainer fees...

Last edited by Kirkster; 01-10-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Chen

Get some pomeranians, they bark at every little thing and a shotgun and samurai sword
Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit, I have a samurai sword + metal nun-chucks. It makes you sound more of a badass in the papers the next morning.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bb1314
Any recommendations on home security system? Pros and cons? I have a detached garage that I also want to link the system to. I know nothing about it. I know there's got to be an expert or two in this topic in Mid-A!
i was simply going to say buy a gun and practice with it.... but now that i see you have a detached garage... gun with a scope...

Originally Posted by abui01
I have to admit, I have a samurai sword + metal nun-chucks. It makes you sound more of a badass in the papers the next morning.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA so true

Last edited by tonyzS/C03; 01-14-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Chen

Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Z_HighSpeed

except the headlines will probably read "home owner attempts to stop man in house with ninja sword, only to be shot and killed."

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 AM
tonyzS/C03

Originally Posted by Novesh
except the headlines will probably read "home owner attempts to stop man in house with ninja sword, only to be shot and killed."

maybe, but it still makes a good head line, a while back there was an artical in the paper in my home town about a guy attacking a lady with nunchucks... she defended herself successfully, but everyone remembers the guys with the nunchucks lol
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Last edited by Z_HighSpeed; 01-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
tonyzS/C03

Originally Posted by Novesh
I rather have the headline read:

"Home owner survives deadly encounter during an armed home invasion, shoots criminal with shotgun, in face"

yup that ought to slow down anyone thinking about breaking and entering...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Etan - My boy up here owns a security system company. When he gets back from playing the Borgata winter open I will see if he will give you a system and install if you sign a monthly monitoring contract. Here is his website:

http://cialarm.com/

If I forget, please send me a PM next week to remind me
Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Cass007
Etan - My boy up here owns a security system company. When he gets back from playing the Borgata winter open I will see if he will give you a system and install if you sign a monthly monitoring contract. Here is his website:

http://cialarm.com/

If I forget, please send me a PM next week to remind me
Good lookout! Will do!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

So I've been having these dreams about getting my cars jacked. Back on this topic... Anyone knows of any DIY way to install a home security system?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

Sadly, I'm sort of in the same boat now. My POS Section 8 neighbors had some crazy guy outside my door screaming his head off. After 20 mins of this, I got up to confront him and the douche who's living there illegally BTW. I told them I'd call the cops if he couldn't handle his company. He promised he would and then the noise went away shortly afterwards.

I come out the next morning to find frozen, bloody spit on my door.
Took a picture and fired off a nasty email to the HOA. Turns out these are the same idiots that wiped sh*t on the wall outside my unit, left a bag of sh*t in front of another neighbors door when he complained about them and have been leaving trash all around the property and smashing 40oz bottles in our parking lot.
We all complain and the first thing we hear from the police and the condo board is "Do you have proof?" or "Did you see them actually doing this?"

So apparently I'm supposed to camp out all day/night and jump out with camera in hand the next time some retard wants to wipe bodily fluids on my wall/door?
I've been reading about Peep hole cameras and this sounds like it'd be ideal for my situation. Anyone who can help or knows what I can do PLEASE PM me!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Sadly, I'm sort of in the same boat now. My POS Section 8 neighbors had some crazy guy outside my door screaming his head off. After 20 mins of this, I got up to confront him and the douche who's living there illegally BTW. I told them I'd call the cops if he couldn't handle his company. He promised he would and then the noise went away shortly afterwards.

I come out the next morning to find frozen, bloody spit on my door.
Took a picture and fired off a nasty email to the HOA. Turns out these are the same idiots that wiped sh*t on the wall outside my unit, left a bag of sh*t in front of another neighbors door when he complained about them and have been leaving trash all around the property and smashing 40oz bottles in our parking lot.
We all complain and the first thing we hear from the police and the condo board is "Do you have proof?" or "Did you see them actually doing this?"

So apparently I'm supposed to camp out all day/night and jump out with camera in hand the next time some retard wants to wipe bodily fluids on my wall/door?
I've been reading about Peep hole cameras and this sounds like it'd be ideal for my situation. Anyone who can help or knows what I can do PLEASE PM me!
Every time police are called to any section 8 housing there is supposed to be a report made and someone should notify the housing association/authority (depending on which one it is for your area).

Keep calling the police, keep making reports with every incident and keep calling the HOA and telling them there are issues.

What you saw and what you heard are proof, regardless of what someone tells you - real issue is if there was an actual crime committed.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

When I was in college I lived in this big frat house for a few months. One random night some drunk kid from the other frat house across the street smashed our window with a keg. I saw the entire thing through the windows on the 2nd floor. When we called the police they said that's not really proof since there's no picture or video. Seriously... it was year of 2002. Not that many people even had cellphones let alone photo capability on their cellphones to snap random events.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by bb1314
When I was in college I lived in this big frat house for a few months. One random night some drunk kid from the other frat house across the street smashed our window with a keg. I saw the entire thing through the windows on the 2nd floor. When we called the police they said that's not really proof since there's no picture or video. Seriously... it was year of 2002. Not that many people even had cellphones let alone photo capability on their cellphones to snap random events.
Sounds like they did not want to take it anywhere or arrest anyone.

If you see a crime occur, and you tell the police you are willing to make a statement and then testify to that statement in court, that is as good as any camera.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Z_HighSpeed
Sounds like they did not want to take it anywhere or arrest anyone.

If you see a crime occur, and you tell the police you are willing to make a statement and then testify to that statement in court, that is as good as any camera.
Right that's what it felt like. It was PG County and a college town. The police probably had tons of BS to deal with.

Quick Reply: Home Security System recommendation?