Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Ticket in PG county MD

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
spacemn_spiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket in PG county MD

I got a citation for aggressive driving in MD. I have not gotten a ticket before. I was cited for doing 65 in a 45 zone, illegal lane change, tailgating and not having proper stickers for my registration which expired 5 days ago. It will be 5 points on my license. Fine is $370.

I read through some of the posts here. Some of the suggestions mentioned to other were getting a copy of clean driving record and then doing a course. I dont know what kind of course and couldnt find more information about it. Where would one do the course?

So far my option seems is Requesting a Waiver Hearing to Plead “Guilty with an Explanation”. This hopefully will allow me to get some points taken off and the fine possibly reduced. http://www.courts.state.md.us/distri...affic.html#wvr

Some folks mentioned getting the speedometer calibrated, how would this help my situation. Any other options?

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 08-06-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 AM
NissanZ03

Damn thats pretty steep. I've never heard of getting your speedometer calibrated but I have heard that the officer needs to calibrate his radar gun before he can take a proper measure and it has to be documented. Maybe it could be a good place to check if it was documented properly?

Also, with the way he described your driving it sounds as if you were near other cars. A good argument would be that if you were so close to the other cars and traveling at a relatively similar speed, whose to say he didn't get the reading from another car right near you? I mean in order to be found guilty for the speeding part at least they have to be sure that it was you.

I also recall hearing that in order for an officer to have a strong case for a no signal write up, he would have to have witnessed 3 improper lane changes. I'm not sure at all if that is true, but it wouldn't hurt to check it out. I mean you could always say that you did signal.

Just figured I'd try and help with a little input, but if you have already decided to plead guilty, I guess you'll be looking at one of those 6-hour insurance company classes
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 AM
KAT_Ayanami

He god illegal lane change and driving too closely.

That means that the officer must have been on his car I guess. And not with the radar.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:39 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I would suggest hiring a good lawyer. It looks like you were doing a bit of "spirited" driving when you should have been driving carefully. I doubt pleading guilty with an explanation would help your cause. I mean........what kind of explanation is there for driving the way you were charged?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defintion worth getting a lawyer to help you get some of the charges out or reduced at least.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
langtubip
not fast enuff

+1 on getting a good lawyer... 5 points is a lot.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts

+1000 Lawyer up and use them as a mouthpiece on your day in court. I got a $510 citation for "reckless" after I passed someone going 38 in a 50 zone. Cop blatantly made up a lie and then told me to go fight it in court.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
spacemn_spiff

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the consensus is that I should get a lawyer. I was hoping to plead guilty and request PBJ. I was going to show my excellent driving record and hoping that it would work.

I have to accept it that I was doing a bit of spirited driving, it was for a short distance. I was in the left lane which was slow and the right most was empty, I shouldnt have sped and passed on the right lane. I had to brake a little hard after getting back in the left lane at the stop light, thats where I got the following too closely. Oh well, learnt my lesson, its going to be grandma driving the Z.

Any suggestions on the which lawyer should I contact? How much would a good lawyer charge?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good traffic lawyer will be $300-500

Well worth the insurance increase and immediate guilty plea if you get caught later, as judges will have no sympathy without a clean record.

If the cop used his speedometer to judge your speed, he will have to prove when his SPEEDO was last calibrated. Remember as tires wear down or if the agency is happening to run a size tire that is not in spec for whatever reason that will throw off his speedo reading and in turn the speed he thought you were going.

I got off easy on this same thing with a 98mph in a 55mph zone. Cop had his radar certificate but no this speedo judge threw it out.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
langtubip
not fast enuff

might wanna check to see if he got you with laser or radar too
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by Alberto
Good traffic lawyer will be $300-500

Well worth the insurance increase and immediate guilty plea if you get caught later, as judges will have no sympathy without a clean record.
What do you mean by immediate plea, you mean I should get a lawyer which would mean not enter a guilty plea. I have clean record. Never had a traffic ticket.

Thanks Alberto. How are you doing? its been a long time since I came out to meets, I still remember your NA DB Z doing low 13s. With two kids, its hard to do anything else than being at home on time.

Originally Posted by langtubip
might wanna check to see if he got you with laser or radar too
How would I go about doing that? There is nothing on the paper ticket says that, is there?

Thanks for the replies.
This was a good lesson for me, I have to be so careful now with speed limits, scary. Dont want to get into anymore trouble.

The registration thing was a stupid mistake, paid for the registration renewal online and got the stickers. Then had a baby and completely forgot about the stickers like an idiot. Cop got me for not displaying stickers.

Anyone has lawyer suggestions for MD?

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 08-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pm wyziwyg he and a few others on here used the same traffic lawyer with good results. he is local as well .
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM
scrapser

I got a reckless driving charge in Virginia a few years ago for doing 87 in a 65 (the officer was in an unmarked car near Richmond on Interstate 95). The laws vary in each state but generally if you are going 20 mph over the limit it's considered reckless driving. In Virginia it is not a citation but a criminal offense. I hired a lawyer ($1500 flat fee) who previously was a prosecutor in Virginia. I have a clean driving record so he was able to get the charge dropped completely provided I take a safe driver course at a local Montgomery County police department for $35.

About a month ago I was driving on the NJ Turnpike and an unmarked trooper pulled me over for failing to signal while changing lanes in heavy traffic. From what he told me, apparently a lot of states are clamping down on unsafe driving practices that could be considered reckless driving. He asked me what my driving record was and I told him it was clean. So he cited me for "disregarding turnpike signs" ($85 fine - no points) to give me a break.

Driving spirited is a great feeling and a lot of fun but at some point you realize it's simply not worth the hassle. I consider myself lucky.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:22 AM
WYZIWYG

PM sent
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM
spacemn_spiff

Thanks WYZIWYG.

The thing I dont know is how did he get my speed. I was driving and so was he, he was a few cars behind and then came behind me. Are cops able to use radars when they are driving?

He really there was trying to nail me down. I wasnt driving close behind anyone, in fact there was no one in front of me and still got a violation.

I am now one of those guys who drive at speed limit on two lane road with a train of cars behind them.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 AM
scrapser

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
Thanks WYZIWYG.

The thing I dont know is how did he get my speed. I was driving and so was he, he was a few cars behind and then came behind me. Are cops able to use radars when they are driving?

He really there was trying to nail me down. I wasnt driving close behind anyone, in fact there was no one in front of me and still got a violation.

I am now one of those guys who drive at speed limit on two lane road with a train of cars behind them.
Police will pace you and use their speedometer to get your speed. It's not precise and lawyers will challenge the method in court if it comes to that. Radar from a moving vehicle does not exist from everything I have read. Or at least if it does, it is not in use by law enforcement. Same thing with laser.

To protect me from laser traps I installed a two-head laser jammer (Laser Pro Park) shortly after buying my Z. It has paid for itself many times over. I also have a Valentine V-1 which keeps me alert to radar traps, speed cameras, and red-light cameras that do not use laser.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by scrapser
Police will pace you and use their speedometer to get your speed. It's not precise and lawyers will challenge the method in court if it comes to that. Radar from a moving vehicle does not exist from everything I have read. Or at least if it does, it is not in use by law enforcement. Same thing with laser.

To protect me from laser traps I installed a two-head laser jammer (Laser Pro Park) shortly after buying my Z. It has paid for itself many times over. I also have a Valentine V-1 which keeps me alert to radar traps, speed cameras, and red-light cameras that do not use laser.
Thanks. I wasnt aware that radar and speedometer combined did not exist for moving cop cars.

I talked to one lawyer that I was referred to. He mentioned for aggressive driving ticket I didnt need a lawyer. I could just go to court and explain the situation with the hopes that Judge will listen and reduce the points.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will update how this turns out.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
Thanks. I wasnt aware that radar and speedometer combined did not exist for moving cop cars.

I talked to one lawyer that I was referred to. He mentioned for aggressive driving ticket I didnt need a lawyer. I could just go to court and explain the situation with the hopes that Judge will listen and reduce the points.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will update how this turns out.
You may not "need" one, but it's better to be overprepared than not. And, in most cases your officer may not even show up so you'll basically just waste half a morning driving to court for nothing.
I wasn't taking any chances that day, so I decided to just pay for representation. Good luck though...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
You may not "need" one, but it's better to be overprepared than not. And, in most cases your officer may not even show up so you'll basically just waste half a morning driving to court for nothing.
I wasn't taking any chances that day, so I decided to just pay for representation. Good luck though...
Ok will do. I will try to talk to lawyer and see if he would go with me. Last time he said that I wouldnt need him to go with me, it wont help. Let me ask him again.

I dont want take any chances either, I have my certified driving record with me. I also plan on taking my accident/incident free record from the insurance.

Do you think I should take the online driving course to help my case? Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My guy is out of Bmore, so driving to PG conty may cost you more, but it is well worth it. This guy got so technical with the judge it was hilarious. The cops head spun he didnt know what to say to this guy.

Isaac Klein

410-727-4880

Quick Reply: Ticket in PG county MD