Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Picked Up Z at D&V Autobody

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 PM
scrapser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked Up Z at D&V Autobody

Editted to add:
I started this thread to report my experience with D&V for other potential customers. The work is all done and I want to make sure anyone who reads this first post does not leave it thinking I had a bad experience. The initial issues have all been resolved. Kevin and I have established a solid relationship and the work they have done is absolutely outstanding in terms of my car and their customer service. I would not hesitate to bring my car to them in the future and highly recommend them to anyone needing repairs or modding.

Initial Post begins here:

I got my Z back today. Overall I'm still sorting out exactly how I feel about the work that was done. They painted the nose, hood, and front fenders...removed three minor dents in the hatch using paintless dent repair...plus installed a Ventureshield clear bra. I had a couple scuff marks on the right rear corner near the gas cap, a rock chip on the roof, and a minor scratch on the driver side rear view mirror.

The paint work on the front was perfect as was the dent removal...everything else is where things go sideways. The clear bra does not wrap around the edges...anywhere. The scuff marks, rock chip in the roof, and scratch on the rear view mirror are all still there only now there is clear bra material installed over the mirror scratch.

I told Kevin a minimum of three times I wanted a clear bra that wraps around the edges. He told me the first time we discussed it that the contractor uses precut sheets but that he would tell the guy I wanted a wrap around installation. I never told him to install the precut style if the wrap around style was not available and obviously he didn't call me to tell me it wasn't and ask if I wanted it anyway.

When I picked up the car Kevin was out for the day and when I tried to discuss the clear bra issue with the guy who was there, his response was, "Well, I don't know what you and Kevin discussed." I will call Kevin on Monday to discuss things but right now I'm not sure where this will go or whether it is worth pursuing.

I guess from a strictly paint and body work perspective they do a good job but the rest of it leaves me disappointed and questioning their integrity. Kevin told me the work would take 10 days then called me after 3 1/2 days to tell me they were almost done and I could pick up the car today...exactly one week after I dropped it off. He said the reason was business is slow but when I was there to pick up the car they were so busy they could hardly pay attention to me. When Kevin called me to tell me the car was almost done he also asked me to pay an extra $180 dollars because he underestimated the type of paint work that was needed (three stage instead of two stage).

I won't say I wouldn't go there again but I'm also wide open to trying Base Autobody because D&V has not earned my trust.

Last edited by scrapser; 09-10-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Follow-up reporting
Old 08-20-2011, 12:32 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW this is literally the first and ONLY negative comments I've seen about D&V from the Z/G crowd. Everyone makes mistakes and Kevin is notorious for doing things right. So I hope you get things taken care of. Please keep us updated.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM
lgear080

If you paid more than a written quote, you're missing the point.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
scrapser

Originally Posted by lgear080
If you paid more than a written quote, you're missing the point.
Care to elaborate on what you mean by that?

For me an estimate is an estimate and that's what he gave me to begin with. I agreed to pay the extra money after he explained the details. To me that's part of the give and take in getting work done. So no biggy there. Given that D&V has the reputation they have and that they do a lot of work on Z cars, I can only say I was surprised he did not know the car required a 3 stage paint job (it's a stock color after all). If that was the only anomaly I would not have mentioned it but since there were so many little things that got passed over plus the clear bra issue, it becomes another straw on the camel's back.

I will add that when I was getting my estimate, another customer arrived to pick up his customized Mustang GT500 and we all paused to look at it plus the R8 he arrived in with his friend. The owner immediately noticed there was a missing part in the grill work which was a little embarassing for Kevin. I had my own inner thoughts but put it down to mistakes are not impossible. Now I get my car back with my own set of issues. It could still be a coincidence so each can take from it what they will.

I'm just sharing my experience and will update with the outcome of my talk with Kevin on Monday. I do not doubt they are sincere in their work just a bit surprised at how my experience has turned out so far given their reputation.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:12 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure Kevin will take care of you one way or another.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 PM
lgear080

I think that a quote is binding.

Was the estimate written?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 AM
scrapser

I talked to Kevin this morning. The clear bra will be redone and we are re-negotiating the rear view mirror and scuffs near the gas cap. Kevin wants me to be satisfied and I told him I was not angry but only surprised and frustrated. The clear bra installed was a precut kit. The material covers each part but leaves roughly a 3/16" gap to the edges of each panel. So you end up with roughly a 3/8" exposed region where any two panels meet (i.e., hood and fender, hood and nose). To me this is a waste of money.

As a side note, on Sunday I found a Ventureshield installer in Columbia, MD who is discussed on a Corvette and again on a BMW forum and gets rave reviews. He is a perfectionist and does a lot of work on exotic cars. He did a Corvette's entire hood and frontend for $1100. 100% covered. I wish I had known about him beforehand. His name is Cliff and his company is Auto Armour. On the other hand, I thought it would be great having D&V do the clear bra as I would not have to worry about rock chips driving from there to wherever the clear bra would be installed.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 AM
scrapser

This is a follow up to my last post. Since talking to Kevin first thing Monday morning, I gave the guy in Columbia, MD a call regarding clear bra installations mainly to learn more about what honestly can be expected. His name is Cliff. It turns out he has done contract work for D&V (mainly Ferrari's) and they know each other. I asked him about his work and was very impressed. He would cover the entire front of the car (100% coverage) with the clear bra covering about 24" of the hood and fenders, everything wraps around edges, and no relief cuts in the material. He uses his own custom cut sheets that he designed on his CADD system. The cost would be $650.

Kevin has offered to redo the clear bra installation. I called him back and asked if Cliff could do the work but he declined stating there would be additional costs by switching vendors. I told him I understand. So he's going to talk with his installer to see what he can offer in terms of better coverage like I was expecting. It's on me whether to accept the redo, keep what I have, or go see Cliff.

As far as the mirror scratch and scuffs near the gas cap...I've decided to go all the way and have them repaint these areas instead of just trying to touch them up. There's only so much they can do there anyway without repainting and since the car looks 95% perfect I figure what the heck...I'm in this far I may as well go for it.

I want to say that Kevin and D&V have done an excellent job on the paint work. I have no complaints. I think all this other stuff is really a matter of how well we mutually understood what was expected and some communication failures. Kevin conceded he may not have communicated to the installer that the expectation was to have a wrap around installation.

Live and learn.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
abui01

Avoid computer cut sheets at all costs. Never accept ANYTHING that is computer cut. As stated, it leaves a small gap (where you WILL get chips) and then it'll look extra retarded since the only places that got chips is around the edges of your entire car.

Honesty, it shouldn't be your problem if it incurs extra costs to have someone more competent complete the job, esp if they've worked w/ D&V before. Every business should know, customers come first. Without customers, there wouldn't even be a business. I understand D&V is looking out for their best interest to save $$$ while keeping the customer satisfied, but it should be after *your* best interest, i.e. Cliff completing the job.

From what I learned, it's important to be EXTRA specific when dealing w/ anything automotive - all the way down to saying, "I only want THAT mechanic to touch the car, no one else." Jot down a list of things you want SPECIFICALLY done + tape it on your dashboard so it's idiot-proof. That way, you'll save yourself a lot more headaches of going back and forth for fixer-upper jobs. Time = Money, a luxury that most of us don't have.

Last edited by abui01; 08-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by abui01
From what I learned, it's important to be EXTRA specific when dealing w/ anything automotive
That is the lesson that everyone here needs to learn.

I hate to say this out loud but 99.9% of people that are in the automotive business are junkies. I don't know how many times I tried to explain to a body shop manager or a mechanic about something specific and they gave me the "I got you dawg" and the jobs turned out to not be exactly what I wanted.

Be specific! Don't worry about repeating yourself 50 times as a customer! And be **** when necessary! In the end it only helps both ends.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM
scrapser

Originally Posted by abui01
Avoid computer cut sheets at all costs. As stated, it leaves a small gap (where you WILL get chips) and then it'll look extra retarded since the only places that got chips is around the edges of your entire car.

That's exactly why I didn't want a precut kit and what I told Kevin when I came in for the estimate. It's clearly a waste to cover only the easy areas and then have rock chips appear in all the gaps which is what will happen.

Honesty, it shouldn't be your problem if it incurs extra costs to have someone more competent complete the job, esp if they've worked w/ D&V before. Every business should know, customers come first. Without customers, there wouldn't even be a business.

I agree but it's really a matter of how much Kevin cares about me as a customer. I told him I don't have money to throw around like his exotic car customers do. $875 for them is not the same as it is for me. This is the only part of all this where I wish he would be a bit more compassionate.

His offer to have the clear bra done over is his solution to the problem. He told me his installer doesn't do custom which confuses me because that is what he is now offering as the solution. Cliff told me the installer is a friend of Kevin's and not a dedicated clear bra installer like he is. Clear bra installations are an art form of sorts. Listening to him describe the details of how he installs them makes it obvious he knows what he's talking about.

From what I learned, it's important to be EXTRA specific when dealing w/ anything automotive - all the way down to saying, "I only want THAT mechanic to touch the car, no one else." Jot down a list of things you want SPECIFICALLY done + tape it on your dashboard so it's idiot-proof. That way, you'll save yourself a lot more headaches of going back and forth for fixer-upper jobs. Time = Money, a luxury that most of us don't have.

This is the biggest lesson I have learned from my experience. I can only make the best of it at this point.
Please see above comments.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 AM
scrapser

Here's an update on my car. I picked it up last Thursday evening. There were two areas on the car that I hoped D&V could spruce up without having to repaint but it didn't work out. Since the clear bra installed was not what I expected, Keving gave me a break on the cost of doing these two areas over. The car now looks perfect and I am very pleased. I never questioned the quality of workmanship D&V provides and would highly recommend them to anyone wanting work done on their Z.

As to the clear bra, I'm getting it done over by Cliff in Columbia, MD in the next week or two. I'm not exagerating when I say my car looks brand new at this point.