Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

2 questions about the Z engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 207 Likes on 154 Posts
Default 2 questions about the Z engine

I picked up the latest edition of DSport and there's a feature [p.110] on Chris Forsberg and his new 370Z. The article basically says that rather than spend the cash and time trying to build up the VQ37DE and twin turbo it, they opted just to drop in a V8 for way less time and money.

Now, this is to all you TT guys. Knowing what you know now and all the time, money and heartbreak spent on going turbo or even twin turbo would you have rather just dropped a V8 engine in your 350 and called it a day?

And let's say [hypothetically] I wanted to do this in the future and keep a Nissan engine. Could I simply just buy a V8 engine from say a Nissan pickup and swap it in there and save myself the headaches you guys suffered and still have some sense of reliability?

Still reading the article, but that was the 1st thought that came to mind. Just curious if that route would be easier.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For me i rather just buy a fast car to begin with forget about Mods and FI ********. The potential for headaces down the road it just not worth it. Ive read about to much FI nightmares on here .

Last edited by kham25; 10-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
NNOCENT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- If you want to drift, it seems like most people just drop in an LS series V8 like Cass.

- If you want more power for the street, several Vortech V3 guys are making close to 500 at the wheels on a stock VQ block (plus supporting mods)

- If you want more power for the street over 500, you are looking at a bare minimum of a stage 1 built short block plus a turbo/twin turbo kit (plus supporting mods)

- VK56 swaps (V8 Nissan Titan engine) are less common than LS v8 swaps, but there are mount kits readily available for purchase.

They are all means to an end, just different ways to take the journey. You need to better define what your expectations are from the car to better define what you want to achieve.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by NNOCENT
- If you want to drift, it seems like most people just drop in an LS series V8 like Cass.

- If you want more power for the street, several Vortech V3 guys are making close to 500 at the wheels on a stock VQ block (plus supporting mods)

- If you want more power for the street over 500, you are looking at a bare minimum of a stage 1 built short block plus a turbo/twin turbo kit (plus supporting mods)

- VK56 swaps (V8 Nissan Titan engine) are less common than LS v8 swaps, but there are mount kits readily available for purchase.

They are all means to an end, just different ways to take the journey. You need to better define what your expectations are from the car to better define what you want to achieve.
Definitely more power, but I also want reliability. That's why I was wondering about remaining within the "family" and looking at the Titan engine. Seems like it would accomplish the extra power and be able to take it since it's basically built for that anyway. Every now and then I read through the FI forums for my own research and just to learn more. It seems like building the VQ up would be a tremendous waste of money and I know alot of guys have blown their engines since it seems like it's all trial and error. Correct me if I'm wrong...
And like I said, I'm still learning and weighing options. And whatever I do, it'll be a long way from now. Just interested in hearing other folks' opinions on the matter.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Too much to type. Next time we see each other remind my drunk *** and I'll answer this lol
Old 10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by Alberto
Too much to type. Next time we see each other remind my drunk *** and I'll answer this lol
If you're drunk, chances are I'll be near dead and probably won't even remember making this thread. LOL
Old 10-31-2011, 03:13 PM
C5_vette

if you are considering a V8 swap then LS > VK56 any day IMO.... you can stay N/A with an LS2 swap and have plenty of power and reliabilty.....(you can get everythign you need out of a used GTO drop out fairly easily)

ofcourse you could boost the LS motor as well, but the beauty of that swap is the ability to stay N/A and make great usable power........ there are a ton of guys on this forum doing the LS swap with the Sikky kit, check out their threads

you can talk to the Mid-A guys about TT'ing the VQ and get their opinions on that option
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by C5_vette
if you are considering a V8 swap then LS > VK56 any day IMO.... you can stay N/A with an LS2 swap and have plenty of power and reliabilty.....(you can get everythign you need out of a used GTO drop out fairly easily)

ofcourse you could boost the LS motor as well, but the beauty of that swap is the ability to stay N/A and make great usable power........ there are a ton of guys on this forum doing the LS swap with the Sikky kit, check out their threads

you can talk to the Mid-A guys about TT'ing the VQ and get their opinions on that option
Haven't looked this up yet, but is the LS swap more popular than the VK56 because it has more power? And why specifically the LS over other platforms?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
C5_vette

Ls motors are light, respond very well to mods, have a huge aftermarket, are reliable, and are easy to come by (and cheap)

The Ls1 has been swapped into everything from FD/FC Rx7's to 240's/ miatas/ 350z's/ etc... mostly for the reasons stated above, and the Ls2 is fast becoming the new trend due to the ease of finding them out of GTO's
Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

If you're going to do a V8 swap, do a Chevy LSx engine. There's kits available and the aftermarket support is INSANE. If you think there's a ton of aftermarket parts for the Z, check out stuff for the LS1 engine some time. The best part is that if something breaks, you can get parts at just about any junk yard in N. America, and every single parts store.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a formula drift event this past summer and saw the car ur talking about, I left there seriously considering the LS swap... If I could do it all over again knowing Wat I kno now I would definitely have went V 8 over boosting/building my VQ....
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
I picked up the latest edition of DSport and there's a feature [p.110] on Chris Forsberg and his new 370Z. The article basically says that rather than spend the cash and time trying to build up the VQ37DE and twin turbo it, they opted just to drop in a V8 for way less time and money.

Now, this is to all you TT guys. Knowing what you know now and all the time, money and heartbreak spent on going turbo or even twin turbo would you have rather just dropped a V8 engine in your 350 and called it a day?

Yes, but I loved the TT... when mine ran

And let's say [hypothetically] I wanted to do this in the future and keep a Nissan engine. Could I simply just buy a V8 engine from say a Nissan pickup and swap it in there and save myself the headaches you guys suffered and still have some sense of reliability?

Nissan V8 can be done, but is much more difficult than the LS. My car should be as reliable as a stock GTO with headers and intake.

Still reading the article, but that was the 1st thought that came to mind. Just curious if that route would be easier.
For me i rather just buy a fast car to begin with forget about Mods and FI ********. The potential for headaces down the road it just not worth it. Ive read about to much FI nightmares on here .

of course you could boost the LS motor as well, but the beauty of that swap is the ability to stay N/A and make great usable power........ there are a ton of guys on this forum doing the LS swap with the Sikky kit, check out their threads
I got that exact setup, an LS2/T56 setup right out of a GTO. Look at the threads in the engine & drivetrain section for info.

If you're going to do a V8 swap, do a Chevy LSx engine. There's kits available and the aftermarket support is INSANE. If you think there's a ton of aftermarket parts for the Z, check out stuff for the LS1 engine some time. The best part is that if something breaks, you can get parts at just about any junk yard in N. America, and every single parts store.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I took a ride in an LS1 240SX that previously had a 400whp SR20 in it. 1st-3rd gear were worthless because of wheel spin. I loved it!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 AM
NX2KDET
Cpt. Nauti Raw

Friend of mine has a LS1 S14 Zenki and its pretty insane. But I've been in a 500RWHP RB 240 which felt faster but it had insane boost lag.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by Alberto
Too much to type, and too much to talk about in one session. Great wealth of knowledge and experiences though. Definitely influenced me not to build my engine.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

For stock block TT power I am very happy with my decision if I was to go any higher I would do a swap. More power more reliable and in many way cheaper.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want turbo for the SWOOOOSSSHHHHHH noise from the BOV. Nothing beats the funky sound from a blow off valve.