Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

My Base Z- 13.90@101.16

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 03:36 AM
j's350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Base Z- 13.90@101.16

Finally raced this past Sat at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ. I have a Base Z with the JWT pop charger w/ heat shield and a straight pipe instead of the one with the pre-silencer...It was an awesome day. First couple of runs I had traction problems, then I let out some air in the back and the problems were gone. My car without me or the spare with a 1/4 tank of gas weighed 3165. My first runs ranged from 14.62-14.28 and that was with lighting up 2nd gear. Once the track heated up and I let out 5lbs, this was my best run...

60'...2.213
330'...5.952
1/8...9.030
mph...79.83
1/4...13.903
mph...101.16

And the weather was overcast and about 48 degrees...
Jason
NJ
Old 11-04-2002, 04:43 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

What was your launch technique? With a 2.2 60' time you can easily drop .1 - .2 tenths there (2.0 should be possible on street tires in the Z) and that should drop your 1/4 mile down .3 or so total.

GREAT RUN!
Old 11-04-2002, 04:49 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good to hear Jason. Wish I could've been there - I would've loved to see the 13.9! Great time!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:18 AM
j's350z

I tried a couple of different launches. First time was horrible, lauched at about 3000 rpm's and lots of tire spin(no posi). Also 2nd gear had no traction. Temp was about 40 degree's and stock tire pressure..next run I rolled off the line at about 2000 rpm's and had a 2.2 60' but still spun 2nd. 3rd time spun off the line but had a nice chirp in 2nd and that was my 14.2 with a 2.5 60'...4th and final was my13.90...I could of launced a little harder if I had more times but I had to go. I may go again in a week or two. If I drop the tires down to 25psi, I think I could run a 13.7 or 8, not bad considering the mags got 40.0's...

Jill, were you at the promenade shopping yesterday in Voorhee's, I saw a DB touring parked there.....

Jason
NJ
Old 11-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Traffic

Great times--

So I guess the straight pipe did make some gains, then?

Too bad there isn't a dyno anywhere in central NJ.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:30 PM
skwez

Curious if you tested before your add-ons as a reference. I'd like to see stock numbers.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by Daytona
Great times--

So I guess the straight pipe did make some gains, then?

Too bad there isn't a dyno anywhere in central NJ.

im sure it made lil gain that would have made no difference with or with out it..

good run man
Old 02-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Mr Fairlady

Thumbs up

Great Times J's350,
<----BASE HERE too!
*good thing about the Base is there is no LSD which means less spin for straight aways but not as good grip out of turns!!*

I wonder if the spare taken out would help,.or do we need that lil' bit of weight in the back!??

If you we're on stock tires,..thats even better,..hopefully I can expect the same,..but **** w/ 19's,..I doubt it,..but the S0-3's should help a little---bad thing is our track here sux!! (fayetteville track) I'll have to hit "the Rock" Rockingham---but I really wasn't gonna take my Z to the track! but maybe just once!! DYNO---oh yeah,..I def wanna do that a few times!!

GREAT TIMES!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:43 AM
b18c1dx

how does no lsd a good thing? and less spin for straight aways?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 AM
typeR

Originally posted by b18c1dx
how does no lsd a good thing? and less spin for straight aways?
it doesnt....most people dont really know what a limited slip differential does and how it does it...

The Quaife torque biasing differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How?

By getting the power to the ground!

The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.

The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

Every Quaife ATB Differential comes with something else other's don't have

BTW the LSD equipped Z's use a helical gear limited slip differential just like the one described by quaife and is probablly made by them...

Last edited by typeR; 02-20-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Mr Fairlady

yep,.helical Limited slip only works under load!!

Just like the DC2-R---peg legged starts aren't good,..but in the Z's case,..I would think it needs that kinda shitty start to get off the line better becasue of so much torque.
But aftermarket LSD will always be better then Stock.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:03 AM
blackS

Originally posted by j's350z
..next run I rolled off the line at about 2000 rpm's and had a 2.2 60' but still spun 2nd. 3rd time spun off the line but had a nice chirp in 2nd and that was my 14.2 with a 2.5 60'...4th and final was my13.90...I could of launced a little harder if I had more times but I had to go. I may go again in a week or two. If I drop the tires down to 25psi, I think I could run a 13.7 or 8, not bad considering the mags got 40.0's...
NJ
...sorry I got a little confused...for your third and fourth times you also launched at 2000rpms??? I also got a base model, and I just got past the brake in period and am trying to figure out what the best launching techniques are since we don't have a track here so I can't get 60' times(hopefully they will open the old one this summer)...The more detail you can give the better (especially for the final run). THANKS and great runs!
Old 02-20-2003, 11:32 AM
POWERZ

Originally posted by High_Velocity_Bullit
That run would surely hang with just about any stock Bullitt.
I would have a hard time taking that as a compliment. I realize your intentions were probably good, but I don't think anyone here is using a Mustang as a benchmark.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:46 AM
John

it doesnt....most people dont really know what a limited slip differential does and how it does it...

BTW the LSD equipped Z's use a helical gear limited slip differential just like the one described by quaife and is probablly made by them...
No, the 350Z comes with a crappy viscous LSD. Quaife does not make any LSDs for any OEM application. Read up on the different types of LSDs and how they work on www.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

John, who loved his Quaife in his Honda, but will be going with a clutch-type in his 350Z once the funds are in place.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:08 PM
AngelGT2000

Originally posted by High_Velocity_Bullit
P.S. That run would surely hang with just about any stock Bullitt. Even those that are slightly moded would have some probs with your run. You got skill!!
Originally posted by POWERZ
I would have a hard time taking that as a compliment. I realize your intentions were probably good, but I don't think anyone here is using a Mustang as a benchmark.[/B]
I know how you feel. If i posted on a Mustang Board that i just ran a 13.9 and someone told me that i could hang with a stock Z, i'd feel insulted too.

Good run j's350z. I give props to those who ain't afraid to take their cars to the track and give 'em a proper break-in. How many miles on your Z, BTW?
Old 02-20-2003, 12:34 PM
02silverstanger

Default With all due respect...zip your lip !

Originally posted by POWERZ
I would have a hard time taking that as a compliment. I realize your intentions were probably good, but I don't think anyone here is using a Mustang as a benchmark.
Well they should be sense in stock form the 350z and the GT/Bullit are a pretty darn good matchup

Old 02-20-2003, 12:57 PM
CrazyBosnian

Good times man, get some Drag radials, and drop those times to a 13.7 or so!

Oh, and for all u haters out there, u drive a NISSAN not a FERRARI, i dont know why in hell do you think you are so superior to the mustang???The race will come down to the driver...

peace!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:54 PM
John

Koko se ma&#0154 CrazyBosnian? Welcome to the world of message boards where everyone's car is the best one on the face of the earth.

Last edited by John; 02-20-2003 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: My Base Z- 13.90@101.16