Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

is ford for real?(350Z vs mustang GT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 06:29 AM
AngelGT2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ares
yeah your right, it was wreckless driving. I have never gone that fast before. but I was going and just sorta planned on "passing" him spiritedly. but when it was apparent he wasnt cruising along, well... testosterone got the better of me.
I know what you mean, sometimes you just get caught up in the moment. That and also not knowing when it'll be the next time you get to run next to a competitive car.

Originally posted by CrazyBosnian
Good call, oh and you should be running a faster time with ur rwhp, having probs hooking huh??
Did the 60'ft give that away . I'm sure that with some slicks i could run the proper times to correspond with my rwhp, but i like to run my car in street trim @ the track to get an idea of what it's capable of on the street. Just need to work on the launch. Damn torque
Old 01-27-2003, 07:10 AM
CrazyBosnian

Did the 60'ft give that away . I'm sure that with some slicks i could run the proper times to correspond with my rwhp, but i like to run my car in street trim @ the track to get an idea of what it's capable of on the street. Just need to work on the launch. Damn torque [/B][/QUOTE]

I know what u mean, look at my sig and my sorry times...
Old 01-27-2003, 07:14 AM
djlynch

I found this topic very interesting because I just bought a base Brickyard a little over a week ago, but am also the proud owner of a 92 Mustang GT 5.0

Driver Comparisons:

The 5.0 off the line will destroy the Z (2-3 car lengths EASY till 45 or so).

At a 25mph kick, the Z will hang the mustang.

At speeds of around 70+, the Z will walk the 5.0.

Not to mention:

Cornering:
The Z is hands down the winner.

Comfort level:
Z

Overall quality of car/ride/performance:
Z

The newer mustang GTs are quick, but I will smoke them in the 5.0 (never raced them in the z, break in period). The 94-98 body styles: TURDS. The Fox Body ones (87-93) are the quickest of all of them (IMO), unless they are dogged out.

This is an unbiased comparison, as I own (and love) both the mustang and the Z.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by djlynch
I found this topic very interesting because I just bought a base Brickyard a little over a week ago, but am also the proud owner of a 92 Mustang GT 5.0

Driver Comparisons:

Not to mention:

Cornering:

Comfort level:
Z

Z

The newer mustang GTs are quick, but I will smoke them in the 5.0 (never raced them in the z, break in period). The 94-98 body styles: TURDS. The Fox Body ones (87-93) are the quickest of all of them (IMO), unless they are dogged out.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the "off the line" claim. If your mustang GT is STOCK then the BEST it will run down the 1/4 is very high 14s..with a 2.1-2.2 60ft time. There are a few Z owners on here who have already pulled LESS than a 2.1 60ft. The only way a 5.0 stang would pull out on a Z down low would be with a traction advantage...and I don't see many street tired 5.0s pulling 1.7-1.8 60fts characteristic of similar powered AWD cars...The Z has MORE torque than a 5.0..and a VERY thick torque band espeically down low. With a competent driver, the Z is capable of walking a 5.0 right from a stop.

In the case that you have a well modded stang, the comparison is almost pointless, because Ford didn't send it from the factory that way, and the factory mustang is the topic of this thread.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:11 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bout a 2.199 60' on a noobie driver in 35degree weather with stock tires. I doubt a mustang could beat that. wait, he didnt, hehe I raced one at a real track. but he was a sorry excuse for a driver, I had VDC on and it was the only race where I didnt get a 14 second quarter. hard to compare that. but I still managed to win.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:43 PM
CrazyBosnian

You cant really compare 60' like that. This is not really where the car or its power makes a difference, its where the driver and the tehnique make it. If anything a mustang should get a better 60' cause of more tq and wider stock tires (saying that equal drivers are driving the cars Oh and by the way, there has been many people on stock crapy rubber that have gotten 1.8 60' and even better...
Old 01-28-2003, 06:16 AM
OverDriven

This is my first post here. This forum is great and I've been reading it for a while. I hope to get my Z (CS Enthusiast) sometime in March. Right now I have a 2nd Gen RX7 with only intake and exhaust. I had a funny experience the other day with a GT driver. Since everyone and their sister has a Mustang, you really never know how good the driver is going to be. I had one pull up next to me at a light a few days ago and he started reving. I took the bait, even though I know I would have been walked by a good driver. When the light turned, I got a perfect launch and he must have just dumped the clutch at 5000 rpm. He just sat there and spun his tires while I walked all over him. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen. I couldn't believe I walked a GT with an old RX-7. This guy ovbiously had no experience racing, but thought that all he had to do to beat me is hit the gas as hard as possible. Hilarious. Anyways, I look forward to talking to you guys about the Z as soon as I get it!

-Joe
Old 01-28-2003, 08:52 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by CrazyBosnian
You cant really compare 60' like that. This is not really where the car or its power makes a difference, its where the driver and the tehnique make it. If anything a mustang should get a better 60' cause of more tq and wider stock tires (saying that equal drivers are driving the cars Oh and by the way, there has been many people on stock crapy rubber that have gotten 1.8 60' and even better...
I was responding to djlynch's comment in which he stated that a 5.0 stang (which has less torque than a Z BTW IIRC) would rip a Z out of the hole. With EQUAL TRACTION (which is what I said...I didn't say ANYTHING about driver skill), the Z would pull out on a 5.0 stang with ease off the line. I would really like to see some guys with STOCK 5.0 stangs on STOCK rubber pulling 1.8 60ft times.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:20 AM
AngelGT2000

Originally posted by djlynch
Driver Comparisons:

Not to mention:

Cornering:

Comfort level:
Z

Z

Unless you've got an intake, head & cams package, supercharger or turbo, I highly doubt you're taking either car off the line with a 5.0. You need to stop bench racing and get out more.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:51 AM
lyonsd

Originally posted by AngelGT2000
Unless you've got an intake, head & cams package, supercharger or turbo, I highly doubt you're taking either car off the line with a 5.0. You need to stop bench racing and get out more.
You can compare 60' times. What kind of 60' times does the Z cut?

A decent time for a 5.0 is 2.1, give or take a few hundreths.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:59 AM
lyonsd

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
If your mustang GT is STOCK then the BEST it will run down the 1/4 is very high 14s..with a 2.1-2.2 60ft time.
Actually, a 5.0 5-speed is quite capable of mid-low 14s off the showroom floor. I ran a 14.4 in my '88 GT bone stock and lifting the throttle at the end to avoid a breakout. That was with the original tires, too, with over two years of wear & tear on them. 60' time was 2.223. So with fresh tires and a more aggressive launch, not letting up at the end, more than a tenth could be knocked off the 60' time and a couple tenths off the ET.

Also, this was in a fully-loaded GT (power everything, body kit, etc). With 2.73 rear gears. A lighter, less-optioned LX with a slightly more performance-oriented 3.08 rear gear could knock a couple more tenths off the ET.

The Z has MORE torque than a 5.0..and a VERY thick torque band espeically down low.
The 5.0 has 300 foot-pounds of torque at 3200 rpm.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:05 AM
lyonsd

Originally posted by ares
how bout a 2.199 60' on a noobie driver in 35degree weather with stock tires. I doubt a mustang could beat that.
2.073 with street radials. Stock heads, cam, intake, no power adder.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:23 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by lyonsd
2.073 with street radials. Stock heads, cam, intake, no power adder.

so you did a 2.073 60ft in 35 degree weather you first time EVER at the track??

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 01-28-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:29 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Actually, a 5.0 5-speed is quite capable of mid-low 14s off the showroom floor. I ran a 14.4 in my '88 GT bone stock and lifting the throttle at the end to avoid a breakout. That was with the original tires, too, with over two years of wear & tear on them. 60' time was 2.223. So with fresh tires and a more aggressive launch, not letting up at the end, more than a tenth could be knocked off the 60' time and a couple tenths off the ET.

Also, this was in a fully-loaded GT (power everything, body kit, etc). With 2.73 rear gears. A lighter, less-optioned LX with a slightly more performance-oriented 3.08 rear gear could knock a couple more tenths off the ET.

The 5.0 has 300 foot-pounds of torque at 3200 rpm.

It may be "capable" but it is FAR from the Norm...the BEST I have seen a stock fox body stang run the 14 in was 14.8@92....that was the BEST. Normally I see them run anywhere from 15.2-15.8...and the lightly modded ones even have trouble getting into the 14s consistantly. BTW, I am simply speaking from my experience at 3 different drag strips in Illinois and Wisconsin.

As for the torque...I said IIRC...which means "if I remember correctly" obvisouly I didn't remember correctly but the fact remains that a 5.0 stang with an equal driver to a Z will NOT rip it out of the hole. A decent 60' for a Z is 2.1 just like the stang. That's all I was trying to say. I'm not going to sit here and argue stock 5.0 E.T.s because frankly they vary so much that it's pointless to talk about.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:33 AM
lyonsd

so you did a 2.073 60ft in 35 degree weather??
Nope. July 17, 1994 at Mid America Raceway, Wentzville, MO. It was miserably hot and humid midwestern day.

The rest of the run went as follows:

330' 5.804
660' 8.906@78.65
1320' 14.068@96.19
Old 01-28-2003, 11:45 AM
lyonsd

It may be "capable" but it is FAR from the Norm...the BEST I have seen a stock fox body stang run the 14 in was 14.8@92....that was the BEST. Normally I see them run anywhere from 15.2-15.8...and the lightly modded ones even have trouble getting into the 14s consistantly. BTW, I am simply speaking from my experience at 3 different drag strips in Illinois and Wisconsin.
That's OK. I've been involved with 5.0s since 1988 when I first got mine. 14.8 was a normal time and a BEST for a convertible and/or AOD equipped car. 5-speed cars were normally in the mid-14s and it wasn't out of the ordinary for one to click off a 14.4 or better. The only time I've run 14.8 or worse was spinning the tires out of the hole and/or missing a shift.

My first time to the strip, everything was bone stock, and the tires were worn (stock 225 Goodyear "gatorbacks"):

May 5, 1990 at Gateway International Raceway

60' and 1320'

2.424 14.923@94.868
2.305 14.551@95.612
2.302 14.609@95.135
2.223 14.484@93.217 (this run I lifted my foot to avoid breakout)
2.260 14.569@94.763

I later found out that my timing wasn't even at the stock 10 degrees initial. It was only set to about 7 degrees. So theoretically the car wasn't running at its potential.

This was in a fully-optioned, 2.73 rear geared GT. Not a 3.08 geared lightweight LX.

the fact remains that a 5.0 stang with an equal driver to a Z will NOT rip it out of the hole.
I never said it would. Given the 60' times of either car, it'll be close. But then the Z should reach the 1320' foot first. However, some of the low-optioned LX "trunks" with 3.08 rear gears have been known to break into the 13s. You gotta watch out for those suckers.

Last edited by lyonsd; 01-28-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 AM
sukkoi19

I managed a 1.91 60' with my GT when it was stock. I had Firestone Firehawk 225/55/ZR16 rubber that had seen some use. Many of my friends have gotten similar results with stock 5.0L. One of the fuelie 302 most potent weapons is its gobs of lowend torque. This makes for excellent street starts and 30sh roll starts. In my experiance with stock 5.0L is that they can run anywhere from high 15s (A4 GT conv) to high 13s (5M notchback LX). But it was my understanding that this thread was about SOHC 4.6s. But if not, you realize you are comparing a brand new car to an engine that hasnt been put into a mustang in 8 yrs. In any case the 5.0L true strength is its aftermarket it has become a veritable religion to mod these beasts and a stock 5.0L is almost a rarity approaching extravagance. Anybody that races a 5.0L and loses can always take comfort in the fact that the car was probably woofed to the hilt.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 AM
lyonsd

Originally posted by sukkoi19
I managed a 1.91 60' with my GT when it was stock. I had Firestone Firehawk 225/55/ZR16 rubber that had seen some use.
That's an excellent 60' time. My best 60' time EVER in the 5.0 was 1.960. And that was with BF Goodrich 275/50-15s in the rear. But I've always been a mild launcher. I guess that's due to all the street racing I used to do. Back when I first got the car, I never lost if I didn't spin the tires (except the time I raced a Grand National). Conversely, I never won if I did spin them. So I always took it easy on the launch.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:09 PM
lyonsd

Originally posted by sukkoi19
In any case the 5.0L true strength is its aftermarket
And it's pretty durable. Mine has been beat on pretty good for 15 years and with 155000 miles it still can run 13.396@102.59 on street tires with no power adder (November 8, 2002 at Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds, GA).

I made 9 passes then in an hour. First pass was at 2:21pm and the last was 3:22pm. The last few I drove straight from the timeslip shack back to the staging lanes and up tothe water box. No cool-down or nothing. I missed 4th gear 5 times that day, over-revving the beast each time. In fact, the last run I made I not only missed 4th, but rammed it into 2nd gear instead at 90+ mph!

I thought I was going to be walking home. I think I bent a valve, but a few seconds later it came back to life and ran fine. I guess if the valve bent, it straightened itself out and reseated itself. I managed a 14.425 @ 77.66 on that run. LOL

On my 5th and best run I granny shifted because I had missed a shift earlier. I managed 13.396 @ 102.59.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:22 PM
CrazyBosnian

And it's pretty durable. Mine has been beat on pretty good for 15 years and with 155000 miles it still can run 13.396@102.59 on street tires with no power adder (November 8, 2002 at Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds, GA).

I made 9 passes then in an hour. First pass was at 2:21pm and the last was 3:22pm. The last few I drove straight from the timeslip shack back to the staging lanes and up tothe water box. No cool-down or nothing. I missed 4th gear 5 times that day, over-revving the beast each time. In fact, the last run I made I not only missed 4th, but rammed it into 2nd gear instead at 90+ mph!

I thought I was going to be walking home. I think I bent a valve, but a few seconds later it came back to life and ran fine. I guess if the valve bent, it straightened itself out and reseated itself. I managed a 14.425 @ 77.66 on that run. LOL

On my 5th and best run I granny shifted because I had missed a shift earlier. I managed 13.396 @ 102.59.
Not to call bull on ya, but to run a 13.3 at 102.5 you would need a good 1.7-8 60', and if you were on street tires, than thats pretty impressive... What is done to your Five-0 anways, just curious,a friend of mine has got one, and cant get it out of the 14s, and has quite a few mods done to it...

Quick Reply: is ford for real?(350Z vs mustang GT)