Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Street Scuffle w/ Volvo C70 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 07:44 PM
BigBadBuford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Scuffle w/ Volvo C70 Turbo

I have been looking to get into some kind of street race with my Z since I got it back in September and I finally got the chance. I was just at the mall with a female friend so I wasn't planning on racing, but this black Volvo C70 pulls up next to us and starts revving and my friend starts getting all excited and telling me to blow his doors off. We were in traffic for a bit, but we managed to work our way through and we got an open stoplight right where the road really opens up and there are no more side streets to worry about. I looked over at his car and saw it wasn't totally stock, he had rims and it sounded like some kind of exhaust, overall a pretty nice car. I already knew he wanted to go, and I heard him keeping up the revs getting ready for the light to change. I turned off the VDC and got ready to go.

The light turned green and I dumped the clutch at about 1500 rpm, but even then the tires couldn't take it (it was 15 degrees outside), and the back end got a little sideways. I let off and got back on it again, and fortunately his launch was a little slow and I didn't lose anything on him. One I got traction he was back 3 or 4 cars very quickly. I thought he was done fooling around, but he got next to me again, so I went to drop it into 2nd to go from a roll and he got on it. By the time I was in 2nd and accelerating again I was at his rear quarter panel. He actually kept up pretty well this time, and I think he had a bit of an advantage with the 15 degree air running over the intercooler, but we ran to around 130 and I was ahead by a car or two. It was a pretty good run, and it was nice to finally let the Z stretch its legs!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:56 PM
TheLex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice run. Those Volvos are pretty quick tho. I'd rather hear about the GS455!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:42 AM
BigBadBuford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had the Buick out to get in some races with, but its in storage over the winter. It probably won't see much action this year, once it comes out of storage the interior is coming out, I'm pulling off the front clip and pulling the motor/trans and its going in the body shop get getting the new fiberglass front end and rear quarter panels installed. After that its getting a tall spindle/tubular A-arm conversion with coil-overs and disc brakes up front. Then I have a new 200-4r trans and the 455 to put back in as well as the interior so it probably won't see too much summer cruisin'.