Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350Z vs. Eclipse GST

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 02:47 PM
ZFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z vs. Eclipse GST

Raced a modded late model GST don't know exactly the year, maybe a 98, it was that copper color. He had an exhaust, some intake work and a turbo boost controller on it from what he said. We both took off from a stop sign(at three honks), and he just did not hook up. I got an awesome launch and pulled about 3-4 car lengths on him. Once that thing hooked up, he stayed about an even 3-4 car lengths behind me, and it seemed like I quit pulling him. So next he wanted to race from a 20 punch. We took off, and he stayed with me a lot better this time. I kept gradually pulling him through the gears, and after 120mph his nose was at my bumper and we shut down. Those things are pretty fast when they are hopped up. The guy said he's beat Lt1 Z28's before that were somewhat modded. All in all I thought it was a good race.

-Bryan
Old 01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Zmeflyby

prolly had more then wat he told u.... i dont know
i havent raced one yet
Old 01-24-2003, 05:41 PM
350Z33

Originally posted by Zmeflyby
prolly had more then wat he told u....

Doesn't everyone have more done than they admit
Old 01-24-2003, 06:33 PM
mpol99

Default DSMs are fast

I raced a buddy's '95 Eagle Talon (Front wheel drive version just like the GS-T) with 3" catback & Intake. We both just kept peeling out & got shitty starts (Chicago frozen streets). I got a slight jump on him. By 2nd & 3rd gear I was slowly pulling away, but slowly. We went to like 90 & he wasn't that far behind (maybe 2-3 car lengths).

After he gets his turbo upgrade, fuel pump & a boost controller, it may get interesting.........

Anyways, DSM's have really good potential and can be made VERY fast.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Impulse

prolly had more then wat he told u....
Uhhh... prolly not. A friend of mine had a FWD Talon (same car you raced) and he used to walk all over the "big boys" with ease. The DSM (Diamond Star Motors: Talons, Lasers & Eclipses) lineup is pretty lethal, the turbocharged cars anways. It doesn't take much cash to get big power out of these cars. There is a guy that’s local to me that’s well known in the DSM community that put 780 dollars into a STOCK Eclipse and was running mid 12's the next day.

I love my AWD Talon but the unfortunate truth to these cars is they are very unreliable. Not so much cause they were built with **** parts, but more because they are getting old and the previous owners beat the snot out of them prior to passing them along. I am a huge fan of Nissan cars and thinking of picking up a 350 some time soon, I'm just a little disappointed with the change you have to put into them for more power.

I'm not trolling or hating on your cars, I'm just letting you know the guy probably had exactly what he told you for mods.

Good runs though.

Oops, quick edit! This is a link showing what the guy did to run mid 12's with low cash:

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...threadid=52040

Last edited by Impulse; 01-25-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:07 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has a 95 AWD Drive Talon with a 16G turbo, intake, BOV, downpipe and 3 in. cat-back. I pull him from a roll, and the only way he can get me is from a stop with his launch...but I reel him in by 100mph and pass....

he claims he's taken out tons of LS1s and even a 03 cobra....RIIIIIGHT...
Old 01-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Impulse

Is your friend a poor driver? Or is it an auto? With his mods he should be taking you pretty fair, even from a roll. <shrug> oh well, the AWD, as I mentioned previously is pretty heavy, especially in highway races. If he had those same mods on a FWD it would be an entirely different story, but he doesn so oh well. A kill is a kill, nice job.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:43 PM
ZFlyer

The guy I raced was FWD. He said it was putting out close to 300hp. That thing had major traction problems off the line. I kind of like those cars, and his was real clean, no decals, no double decker spoiler, or anything like that.

-Bryan
Old 01-25-2003, 04:17 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Impulse
Is your friend a poor driver? Or is it an auto? With his mods he should be taking you pretty fair, even from a roll. <shrug> oh well, the AWD, as I mentioned previously is pretty heavy, especially in highway races. If he had those same mods on a FWD it would be an entirely different story, but he doesn so oh well. A kill is a kill, nice job.

It's a 5-speed...but he hasn't had it dyno tuned yet, I assume he'll keep up better once he does.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:35 AM
Raptor303

I love my AWD Talon but the unfortunate truth to these cars is they are very unreliable. Not so much cause they were built with **** parts, but more because they are getting old and the previous owners beat the snot out of them prior to passing them along.
Impulse,

It's true, you need to find a decent example out there, but once you do, they are great cars. We've had out 1G DSM since we bought it new. Yes, a 1991 Eclipse GSX with only 37,000 miles on it. This car has been used as pretty much a grocery getter for its entire life, bone stock, garaged, et al. But still, recently the ABS module has started to leak brake fluid. It's just age with these things. Luckily we sourced a slightly used example for a tenth of the new cost for the module, so looks like our GSX isn't dead yet.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:39 AM
joeshow750

Yes, a 1991 Eclipse GSX with only 37,000 miles on it.
"Diamond" (haha) in the rough you've got there, Raptor. Along with my 350Z I have a 1995 Eagle Talon. When I was buying the Z from the previous owner, he and I raced. He was driving the Z and I was in the Talon AWD. I had the stock turbo on at the time running 18psi (I also had intake, exhaust, bigger intercooler, boost controller, upgraded BOV, hard piping everywhere). We did a 30mph roll-on first, I got the jump on him (I think I just stepped on the gas before he did), and he was slowly creeping on me and about to pull even as we approached 90mph. Traffic got in the way so we had to stop. At the next light we went from a stop. Of course, I got the jump (clutch abuse) from a stop, his front bumper just off my rear bumper, and we stayed like that until about 75mph, he pulled even at around 95 and would have passed me, but we both let up. The DSM's are good performers and can be modded like crazy. I have never had a problem with mine, but the clutch is on it's way out haha.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:16 AM
zeroday

I had a 98 GST (stock). Very fast car, but no traction off the line and the torque steer was rediculous. I'd however easily believe a lightly modded (stock turbo) could give us a run for the money. I'm not sure why anyone would bother modding a GST though. Why not an AWD GSX instead?

btw copper color wasn't an option in 97 or 98. Must have been a 95/96 GST.

Last edited by zeroday; 01-26-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:36 AM
ZFlyer

Either that or it was custom. It had the big gaping intake in the front, and the St. Louis arch spoiler which makes me think it was a later model. Anyways it was a cool car.

-Bryan
Old 01-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Impulse

Thumbs up

1991 Eclipse GSX with only 37,000 miles on it.
Damn good! That's awsume to own a DSM with such low miles.

I love the AWD DSM line and plan to keep mine even after picking up a Z, you really can't find a better beater come winter time (though WRX and EVo comes to mind...).
Old 01-26-2003, 12:30 PM
joeshow750

I love the AWD DSM line and plan to keep mine even after picking up a Z, you really can't find a better beater come winter time (though WRX and EVo comes to mind...).
Haha, no kidding. My Talon romps through the snow and rain, no problem. I'm living in AZ now and luckily my Z won't see any snow anytime soon. Wish I had the money to make the Evo 8 my "beater".
Old 01-27-2003, 04:59 AM
Impulse

For any people out there that used to own DSM's or maybe still do for secondary cars, how would you compare the handling VS a 350Z?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2003, 05:59 AM
joeshow750

DSM's handle OK in stock form, but not nearly as well as the 350. Once I get the AWD Talon turned in and on a line it does OK but getting it turned in accurately is done much easier in the Z due to the sharper handling. The Talon has way too much body roll for my taste...the Z is much better. Z also gives alot more feedback through the suspension and steering well the the somewhat vague-feeling Talon. One downfall for the Z though...lowspeed corner exits (1st, 2nd gear). The talon does pretty well with these. The Z is more difficult to get a good corner exit with, whereas the Talon, due to the AWD, hooks up much easier. All in all, the Z is simply in a different class. Put the two of them in the dirt and you have role reversal, as the Talon would put the "hurt" on the Z.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:04 PM
99AllTurbo

I owned a modified DSM. Big16g, 55o injs, turbo back exh, SAFC, intercooler piping but still had a stk intercooler and I was able to run 107 trap on race gas. I can tell you this, the idiot you raced did not have 300hp. I didn't even have 300hp with my mods. With an intake, exh, and boost controller he might be able to hit 94-95 through the traps. We are talking about a newer DSM (a 2g)

Impulse, he's talking about a 2g not a 1g that has a better turbo. You know the difference right?

Zflyer,

If the guy you beat ended up at your rear bumper he maybe had a few more mods than he cliamed. Nice kill.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:14 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo
I owned a modified DSM. Big16g, 55o injs, turbo back exh, SAFC, intercooler piping but still had a stk intercooler and I was able to run 107 trap on race gas. I can tell you this, the idiot you raced did not have 300hp. I didn't even have 300hp with my mods. With an intake, exh, and boost controller he might be able to hit 94-95 through the traps. We are talking about a newer DSM (a 2g)

Impulse, he's talking about a 2g not a 1g that has a better turbo. You know the difference right?

Zflyer,

If the guy you beat ended up at your rear bumper he maybe had a few more mods than he cliamed. Nice kill.

If you ran a 107trap....you had to have AT LEAST 300hp to the wheels..on the race gas of course....I assume you never dynoed on race gas though. What kind of traps were you running on pump gas???

As for the trap of a 2G DSM with intake, exhaust, and a boost controller...it won't be much over stock since the stock return valve will just vent all the extra boost to the atomsphere But you knew that right?

One of my good friends has a AWD 95 Talon that I help him work on all the time. He had only intake, cat-back, and a Greddy BOV and he ran 13.8@97 with a 1.7 short time IIRC. So a DSM with the addition of a boost controller should trap near 100mph.

BTW - My friend now has added a 16G, a 3in downpipe, and an ACT clutch to his setup, but has not been back to the track yet...
Old 01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo

Zflyer,

thats wat i said earlier..but i got bashed on

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. Eclipse GST