Default Live timing from Grand-Am Daytona

Live timing on-line

http://grandamerican.vfx.com/Rolex/G...erican_800.asp

Our Z is #35 in GS II (red) class

Qualifying starts 4:20 today, and race on Friday, @ 2:30
Old 01-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Raptor303

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rolex 24 is on this weekend. The series we want to see with the Z won't be shown until Feb 8, tape delay.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:40 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car must have had a problem in qualifying. Only ran in the 2:13 range. Had been running in the low 2:11's earlier. I see they moved the car almost to the back for the race. Must have been penalized for something. Well hope they have better luck in the race. It is a 3 hour and it will be shown tape delayed on SPEED on Feb. 8 at noon. You can follow the race live on the website live timing & scoring tomorrow afternoon. www.grand-am.com Good luck BJ!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:15 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, it's kind of weird to see dry data only, and then trying to guess what's going on there...

I see that it was pretty heavy traffic during qualifying. They had only two 15 minutes sessions for two classes. .So it could be the case that Z just stuck in traffic or something.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:37 AM
jmark

BJ's teammate qualified the car and will start it.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:19 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I wouldn't put too much stock on the qualifying they have to last the 250 miles. Also realize that the 350Z is new to the circuit and they are still in the development stages where they have to petition the organization to allow them modifications to the car, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do well early on because of few modifications but also to justify allowing them modifications to be competitive, which they are sure to get because Grandam I am sure wants the 350Z to do well and bring in fans so look to middle of the season to see how well they are doing by then.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:50 AM
black300zx

I just checked and they are currently running 5th in their class and 18th overall. Not bad at all considering they were far back on the grid at the start (dead last in their class). Too bad we can't see this race until next week.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:20 PM
Vlad

They had a bad start and droped to the back of the list on first lap, then they slowly moved to 5th position. With one Firechicken, one SVT, and two porches in front of them.

Than they start loosing positions on around 35th lap.
First they droped to 11 in class, then up a bit (to 10th?), down a bit... and finaly on 56th lap they droped to the end of the list. Didn't moved for a while (in pits?), then did 2 more laps before chequered flag ...

Not a bad for a first race!

I wish I could SEE what's going on there on track...

BTW, any idea what green color of car# box means? Some numbers became green for a while, and the back to white... I first thought it's for cars in pits, but then it didn't seems to be so...
Old 01-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Jason Saini

The green meant recently changed position... not sure how long they stayed green, but when someone changes position, their number goes green.

I'm sure this isn't the result the team were looking for... but with hard work they will get there. Car looks like it has potential, and looks great. I normally would have been there, but our team changed to SpeedWC this season so our opener isn't until March. Kinda weird not to be down there.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:38 PM
jmark

Good to see you on the 350Z board Jason! Are you running with in King in WC? You are correct the green just shows a change in position. I believe they pitted on lap 35 and BJZ got in. He turned the cars quickest lap right after getting in the car. The car looks great. I to am used to being at the 24. Kinda miss being there.....The Z was in 22 place and 10th in class when it had problems (lap 54?). BJZ will fill us in when he gets back.

Last edited by jmark; 01-31-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:49 AM
Jason Saini

Good to be here... gatta see what my competition is up to, ya know? Hehe. We're going to be running against 350's all year long. Also nice to check up on old friends to see what they are up to (BJZ).

Just curions, and maybe you have some insight into this BJZ... why is the 350z in GSII and the Z4 in STI? It seems these cars should be competing against each other. I think STI should be reserved for FWD cars, and that the Lexus, Boxster and Z4 should all be in GSII and competition adjustments used to level the field. Or just keep GSII the pony car class, and put the 350 in STI with competition adjusments to slow it down.

Either that or do away with STII and make STI the rear drive/fast sports coupe class (slower GSII cars + faster STI cars) and make STII the compact sports coupe class (slower STI cars.)

Then again I don't really agree with Grand Am's philosophy on allot of things. It's really entertaining watching the DP's get waxed by a GT Porsche! Grand Am get's a big from me on their new 'direction'.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:38 AM
jmark

I agree with the GA take. GA did all they could do to insure a DP win. Didn't happen. I think the GA Cup racing is more exciting. Especially now with the Z in the mix. Now if we can get a couple of 350Z GT cars in the ALMS or GA mix..........
Old 02-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Team ???Z???

Originally posted by Jason Saini
Just curions, and maybe you have some insight into this BJZ... why is the 350z in GSII and the Z4 in STI? It seems these cars should be competing against each other.
this ain't autox, HP rules on the open track and the Z4 3.0's 225 Hp is no match for a 350Z 3.5's 287 HP

A Z4 can pretty much match a 350Z up to ~65 mph for a variety of reasons, after that the 350Z simply walks away

you absolutely amaze me sometimes ...
Old 02-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Vlad

So, any idea what exactly did happened after lap 35?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:31 PM
dwnshift

We where looking to finish 5th through 8th. We did not need to make another stop for fuel. We had a suspension prolemand where able to pit and fix it two lasp from the end. It would have been great to bring her home in 6th, but the entire team did one hell of a job all weekend. Aout my third lap out I noticed the something wasnt right and we "decided to ride it out".
Everyone knew that we where definetly down on power. We now have ten weeks to work on things.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:37 PM
integrate

Originally posted by dwnshift
We where looking to finish 5th through 8th. We did not need to make another stop for fuel. We had a suspension prolemand where able to pit and fix it two lasp from the end. It would have been great to bring her home in 6th, but the entire team did one hell of a job all weekend. Aout my third lap out I noticed the something wasnt right and we "decided to ride it out".
Everyone knew that we where definetly down on power. We now have ten weeks to work on things.
Looks like if you guys hadn't had a problem, you would've ended up in a pretty damn good finish for the first race! I'm sure you guys will do great next time. . The Z is definitely a contender.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Jason Saini

Originally posted by Team ???Z???
you absolutely amaze me sometimes ...
Why the hell do you have to be so condescending all the time???? You probably haven't taken your medication.

I said - "competition adjustments." I happen to know that the Lexus STI cars have about 280hp at the crank at the very least. They could let the Z run in there with a stock motor, or even the stock motor with a restrictor plate. I just think that Grand Am's classing seems to be getting jumbled up.

I know road racing isn't autocrossing... how many Grand Am Cup races did you go to last season? How many did I go to? Four. So stop being so condescending, it's really wearing thin.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:37 PM
Jason Saini

Oh well, that's racing... good to hear you got it fixed and got to cross the line - that's one of the most important things in endurance racing IMO... taking the checkers. Also good to hear that they know you are down on power. Hopefully they adjust your specs accordingly. What do you guys think you need done to have enough power?
Old 02-03-2003, 07:44 PM
dwnshift

We just need to do what we need to do...........then everything will be .........OH....TAY!

Good luck to you guys at King this year in WC!
Old 02-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Vlad

Default Congratulations!

Hope nobody expected everything will be perfect at first start? It's a race, not stupid car show. I'm happy with the results. Especially first part of the race

Can't wait till summer, so I can go see the race in OH!
Congratulations again

Quick Reply: Live timing from Grand-Am Daytona