Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

How bad is your traction loss and fish tailing with VDC off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:11 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How bad is your traction loss and fish tailing with VDC off?

So, this Honda CRX with a muffler flies by me. In the left hand turn lane the CRX sits while the light turns green. I wait. I wait. I wait while I see him looking at me in his mirror. I honk. I wait. Okay, I turn off VDC and go around him on his right to make my left. Now he goes. My tires spin and I my rear is all over the place. We roll to the next stop sign.

At the next stop sign, his passenger says, "nice ride". I'm like, "okay, let's see what you got," still a little irate about the stop light. Sure, it wasn't fair with him having a passenger and of course I kept pulling car lengths from him in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. We do it again at the next stop sign. Same thing, no biggie.

The one thing I noticed, this being the first time I've gunned it with VDC off, is that if you're not careful, you rev very high, very quickly and that you quickly lose traction and have a fish tailing end from all the torque and traction loss.

How bad is your traction loss and fish tailing with VDC off?
Old 02-19-2003, 06:13 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VDC and TCS are there to help you when you push the envelope too far, if you are driving in an autox or track you should know or learn how far to push the envelope and use the car to its abilities and do it with the TCS/VDC off, you just have to learn how to drive the car and how it behaves in certain situations, like not shifting hard into 2nd in the middle of a corner and gun it or you will be all over the place, VDC/TCS has not been around always. I am not being condecending as I am learning myself and plan on going out on the track for driving courses I suggest that to anyone specially if this is the first powerful car you have owned like myself.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 PM
D'oh

It just comes down to learning the limits of the car and how to quickly and smoothly correct if you reach them.

I did spin out at Laguna but that was because I still am new to performance driving and way overcorrected after getting slighly sideways when exiting a corner in 3rd gear. I fishtailed a couple times before I completely lost it and spun a 720 into the dirt. I luckily missed the wall, but with VDC off you really need to know how to handle the car if you start losing traction.

I hope to get some good parking lot practice going when it's rainy so I can learn to drift a little better.

On the way to work this morning (it was rainy) I even managed to get a little sideways while making a right turn, and this was with VDC and TCS ON. It looked like someone had spilled oil all over the road, so I'm pretty sure that helped a bit.

Overall the Z is very stable, but like any car, it can't overcome physics.

-D'oh!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:22 PM
DrRick

the LSD seems to compound matters. with a standard "peg-leg" diff, you will spin but it will basically keep you straight. with the LSD, you will tend to let the back end wander. thats the side-effect of a true sports car. learn it and love it.......

Doc
Old 02-19-2003, 09:56 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup, with vdc off, my back end will be all over the place if i'm on it....thats why i always leave vdc on during a canyon run
Old 02-20-2003, 04:46 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

I turned the VDC off yesterday making a U-Turn at an intersection but the ground was wet due to snow melting.. The turn was 180 degrees and my back end just flew out around the turn and ended up doing about a 220 and ended up stopped facing a snowbank about 6 inches away. It was far enough to cut the wheel and get down the road and avoid the embarrassing backing up situation. But I been driving with the VDC on so much that I start to forget how the car reacts when its off.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:08 AM
hfm

I think I'll have to practice some launches with VDC off.

Dang D'oh, a 720! Hey, how bad is that cork screw at Laguna?

Bo, you're right. I've gotten so used to VDC, I've forgotten that I need no more than 2k rpm before I drop the clutch. I need to ease off a bit instead of letting it rev too high in 1st. With VDC on, you can just dump and go knowing it will cut engine speed upon spin.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:22 PM
D'oh

There are a couple pictures floating around in a post I made about "a couple exciting days at laguna seca" Racerboy and I both posted pictures of us going through the corkscrew.

It actually isn't too bad of a turn. It's difficult to get correct because you can't see anything, but it's fairly low speed, and has decent run-off room.

The scariest for me was at the end of the main straight. You get to turn one (which is barely a turn) but it is right at the crest of a hill. Coming over that crest at 100+ mph without seeing in front was the scariest. Plus, right after the crest is turn 2, the Andretti Hairpin, so people are slowing way down. I had a viper lock up all for wheel a two cars ahead of me which was very nerve racking. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the Z06 directly in front of me and have been looking in the mirror watching a Z with worn out brakes baering down. Needless to say, I took that crest a little slower from that point on.

I want to go back again though. Gonna get a front brake upgrade first.

-D'oh!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:52 PM
hfm

Originally posted by D'oh
There are a couple pictures floating around in a post I made about "a couple exciting days at laguna seca" Racerboy and I both posted pictures of us going through the corkscrew.

It actually isn't too bad of a turn. It's difficult to get correct because you can't see anything, but it's fairly low speed, and has decent run-off room.

The scariest for me was at the end of the main straight. You get to turn one (which is barely a turn) but it is right at the crest of a hill. Coming over that crest at 100+ mph without seeing in front was the scariest. Plus, right after the crest is turn 2, the Andretti Hairpin, so people are slowing way down. I had a viper lock up all for wheel a two cars ahead of me which was very nerve racking. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the Z06 directly in front of me and have been looking in the mirror watching a Z with worn out brakes baering down. Needless to say, I took that crest a little slower from that point on.

I want to go back again though. Gonna get a front brake upgrade first.

-D'oh!
Oh man, I would so love to do that...in someone else's car.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:56 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I did a really hard 1-2 shift a few weeks ago when it was about 20 degrees and dry up here in Chicago and my back end got loose so bad that I actually had to LET OFF the gas to keep the back end from coming around. I really hope this doesn't happen on dry pavement once it warms up.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:08 AM
grogsnorf

I enjoy the car alot more with the VDC off................
need to get the feel down.....................awesome