Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Played with a Camero

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Caswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, not taking aything away from this kill, but I'm guessing it was a dressed up V6. No SS badges and body colored (white) roof bar. It could have been a V8 if it was a hardtop with the badges shaved. Did you see t-tops or was the whole roof white?

If it was a V6, I'm glad you took it to him. You can get a Z28 for the price he probably paid for the painted SS hood and spoiler. Not a big fan of guys who go for looks over performance.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:33 PM
iris

what a fun story dan!
where were u?
Old 02-24-2003, 12:57 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Caswell
Again, not taking aything away from this kill, but I'm guessing it was a dressed up V6. No SS badges and body colored (white) roof bar. It could have been a V8 if it was a hardtop with the badges shaved. Did you see t-tops or was the whole roof white?

If it was a V6, I'm glad you took it to him. You can get a Z28 for the price he probably paid for the painted SS hood and spoiler. Not a big fan of guys who go for looks over performance.
You're kidding right??? Do you know how SLOW a V6 f-body is???

I could beat them easily with my 5-speed Maxima when it was bone stock. We're talking very high 15 to low 16s cars. There is absolutely no way that a V6 would have a chance against even an average driver in a Z.

My guess was either it was an LT1 Z28 with an SS hood and spoiler or maybe an LS1 and the guy didn't drive it to it's potential. Even so, a 350Z isn't going to be an "easy kill" for a stock LS1 f-bod out of a stoplight. Anything can happen on the street.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Caswell

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
There is absolutely no way that a V6 would have a chance against even an average driver in a Z...
But then...

...Anything can happen on the street.

I don't want to go another round with you BGM, but you seem to be contradicting yourself there. You're ruling out the fact that there are plenty of mods for V6 f-cars. There are some seriously fast V6's out there that would easily hand me my ****.

We'll never know what he beat. He's not a Camaro enthusiast (I wouldn't expect him to be) so he's not going to be able to tell us the tiny differences that would let us pin down what car he was racing. Regardless, it sounds like he had a good race and chalked up a nice kill. Peace.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:03 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

But then...

I don't want to go another round with you BGM, but you seem to be contradicting yourself there. You're ruling out the fact that there are plenty of mods for V6 f-cars. There are some seriously fast V6's out there that would easily hand me my ****.

We'll never know what he beat. He's not a Camaro enthusiast (I wouldn't expect him to be) so he's not going to be able to tell us the tiny differences that would let us pin down what car he was racing. Regardless, it sounds like he had a good race and chalked up a nice kill. Peace.

You're playing with my words...I made sure I said "average driver" when I said that a V6 f-body couldn't hang, I bet if a complete idiot was driving the Z than a V6 could beat it...but that's not what I said.

So basically you guys are insinuating that a 350Z would have no chance against an LS1 f-body no matter what so it must have been a V6??? Come on, that's really lame.

I'm fully aware that we'll never know what he beat, but honestly what are the chances that he came up against a heavily modded V6 camaro...I've never even seen one in my LIFE.

Furthermore, one would not have to be a "Camaro Enthusiast" to tell the difference between a V6 and a V8 or LT1 and LS1...I can tell the difference at first glance and it is confirmed when I hear the motor.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Silverchickn

Question

Ok let try to figure out this car you raced. Where the head lights round in shape or where they more square. If the lights were rounded then it was an LS1 if they were more square they it was an LT1. The difference would have been about 20-30hp in stock form. Not including the years an LT1 may have had on the motor.

I have no doubt that a good driver in a 350z could take an LT1 but my buddy has a 98' Z28 A4 (automatic) and he can run a 13.7 with no mods all day long by just hitting the gas when the light goes green. Im not totally sure but I didnt think the 350z is that quick.

Ill put my money on it that you whipped up on a LT1 or a modded V6 Camaro. Either way good kill and way to put that person in their place.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Silverchickn

Did the frontend look like this:

Or this:

Last edited by Silverchickn; 02-24-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Caswell

You're playing with my words...I made sure I said "average driver" when I said that a V6 f-body couldn't hang, I bet if a complete idiot was driving the Z than a V6 could beat it...but that's not what I said.
How am I playing with your words? Sure, you said "average driver", but you also said there was "absolutely" no way a V6 stood a chance. You then went on to say that "anything" could happen in a street race. Just because you chose your words poorly does not mean that someone who quotes your contradiction is playing with them.

So basically you guys are insinuating that a 350Z would have no chance against an LS1 f-body no matter what so it must have been a V6??? Come on, that's really lame.
Where did I say that, or insinuate it? The original poster seemed disappointed that he couldn't figure out if he raced a V6 or a V8. I was trying to help him figure it out (and congratulating him along the way). From his answers, it sounds like a V6.

I'm fully aware that we'll never know what he beat, but honestly what are the chances that he came up against a heavily modded V6 camaro...I've never even seen one in my LIFE.
Then I guess they must not exist.

Furthermore, one would not have to be a "Camaro Enthusiast" to tell the difference between a V6 and a V8 or LT1 and LS1...I can tell the difference at first glance and it is confirmed when I hear the motor.
So, what would you think? No badges, SS hood and spoiler. I doubt he shaved them, as SS owners have a hard-on for their badges. Body colored roof bar. Original poster said it didn't have the exhaust note he expected from a V8.

You sure did get your panties in a wad over nothing. I'm starting to rethink my semi-apology (or at least my admission of guilt) over our last flame-fest.

Last edited by Caswell; 02-24-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:27 PM
x89gta350

Nice kill....but i think you were racing an lt1. Its hard to spot the differences between an ls1 and lt1 esp. if you aren't into f-bodies. Not trying to be mean or anything but my car is stock and the only 350z i raced i absolutely destroyed. My car is a 2000 Trans Am WS6 A4....my best run so far has been an 13.1 at HRP
Old 02-24-2003, 05:55 PM
ZFlyer

Could be that some Ls1's are faster than others, or have better drivers. I had a 99' SS 6M and traded it on the Z. My best time stock was a 13.5 at Ennis in the SS. The guy I raced (98' Z28 A4) has a shift kit and that MTI lid and runs consistant high 13's and I barely beat him in the Z but nothing like car-lengths. I mean his nose was right at my side. His car is pretty ragged out though.

-Bryan
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 PM
hfm

It could have been a V8 if it was a hardtop with the badges shaved. Did you see t-tops or was the whole roof white?
From what I recall, the whole roof was white.

Originally posted by iris

what a fun story dan!
where were u?
?
Valley Circle Drive, Woodland Hills. If there are any cops here, I never said that.

Originally posted by Silverchicken
Ok let try to figure out this car you raced. Where the head lights round in shape or where they more square. If the lights were rounded then it was an LS1 if they were more square they it was an LT1. The difference would have been about 20-30hp in stock form. Not including the years an LT1 may have had on the motor.
Sorry but, I don't recall with certainty whether the headlights were round or square. They seemed round. And, the car was a newer version, I guess the LS1 type rather than the older LT1 type. The car looked like the one in the bottom picture with the scoop without the orange stripes. I do recoginze the difference between older an newer Camaro, it was definitely newer.

The only question in my mind is whether it was a V6 or a V8. I guess a Z28 or a SS if a Z28 is the V6 and the SS is the V8. Guys, it doesn't matter to me whether it was a V6 or a V8. What was important to me was that I got a good launch, that I won and that it was hella fun.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Whattop

I'm not sure what he's insinuating but I will tell you, write you, telegram, telephone, paint it on a freaking picture and whatever else and say the there is NO way other than mechanical failure that an average or even below average driver in an LS1 would lose to a stock Z. I've never raced one but I did test drive 2 Z's before I bought my LS1 SS. IMO the Z is a beautiful car. The interior looks excellent. The 18 inch wheels and the body styling are modern and very sporty looking. But as far as power goes I put it just a notch below a new model Mustang GT. I can't honestly believe that any Z owners think a stock Z could stay with an LS1 for anything more than 1st or 2nd gear tops.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:12 PM
350Z33

If you beat a v6 f-body then you dont have much to be happy about. I whip up on them in my sentra. It seems more likely that it was a v8 that screwed up the launch, you said he did a burnout, can a v6 f-body do a burnout on the street?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:14 PM
350Z33

Originally posted by Whattop
But as far as power goes I put it just a notch below a new model Mustang GT.
Why would you put it there when the Z has more power?
Old 02-24-2003, 11:00 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Whattop
I'm not sure what he's insinuating but I will tell you, write you, telegram, telephone, paint it on a freaking picture and whatever else and say the there is NO way other than mechanical failure that an average or even below average driver in an LS1 would lose to a stock Z. I've never raced one but I did test drive 2 Z's before I bought my LS1 SS. IMO the Z is a beautiful car. The interior looks excellent. The 18 inch wheels and the body styling are modern and very sporty looking. But as far as power goes I put it just a notch below a new model Mustang GT. I can't honestly believe that any Z owners think a stock Z could stay with an LS1 for anything more than 1st or 2nd gear tops.
Gotta love this post:

"I've never driven the Z for more than a test drive, but I know my car can beat it hands down unless my car breaks"

You need a lot more than a test drive to tell what a car is really like. When I test drove the Z, it didn't feel quick at all. Actually the car didn't even start to feel quick until after 1200 miles when I started to really rag it out.

As for street racing against an LS1....anything can happen bud...were not talking about a Geo Metro vs. the "mighty" LS1. I beat a below average LS1 driver at the drag strip with my maxima and my max is slower than the 350Z....

As for the "power a notch below the mustang GT"...what are you smoking??
Old 02-24-2003, 11:17 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

How am I playing with your words? Sure, you said "average driver", but you also said there was "absolutely" no way a V6 stood a chance. You then went on to say that "anything" could happen in a street race. Just because you chose your words poorly does not mean that someone who quotes your contradiction is playing with them.

Where did I say that, or insinuate it? The original poster seemed disappointed that he couldn't figure out if he raced a V6 or a V8. I was trying to help him figure it out (and congratulating him along the way). From his answers, it sounds like a V6.

Then I guess they must not exist.

So, what would you think? No badges, SS hood and spoiler. I doubt he shaved them, as SS owners have a hard-on for their badges. Body colored roof bar. Original poster said it didn't have the exhaust note he expected from a V8.

You sure did get your panties in a wad over nothing. I'm starting to rethink my semi-apology (or at least my admission of guilt) over our last flame-fest.
ok...I'll re-phrase, 99.9% of Camaro V6s aren't modded enough to even slightly hang with a high 13 to low 14 second car. Honestly what are the chances he ran a heavily modded V6? slim to none.

As for the lack of badges, not everyone is the same and I bet there are plenty of people who REMOVE the badges. Just like some GTP owners have hard-ons for their badges, many of them REMOVE them.

If you'd read back you'd see that he never clearly stated what the exhaust sounded like. First he says he didn't hear it because he was listening to his car, then he says that "maybe it would have been more throaty and deep if it was a V8" after someone suggests that it may have been a V6. Now if this isn't contradictary I don't know what is. I don't think by this we can determine if he even heard the exhaust at all.

The reason I'm getting my "panties is a wad" is because the f-body crowd (or more directly the LS1 crowd) basically believes that no Z could ever beat a mighty LS1 (especially good ol Whattop). In lieu of this people began suggesting to "non-suspecting" hfm that "maybe" it was a V6. Talk about taking advantage of a situation to boltster their opinion.

I can't wait until it gets warm again, and I can start running some of my friends and others with LS1s...9 times out of 10 I'll lose and I'll admit that, but the time that I win and post about it, I'll get flamed to hell because no 350Z could ever beat a mighty LS1.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:24 PM
hfm

Originally posted by 350Z33
If you beat a v6 f-body then you dont have much to be happy about. I whip up on them in my sentra. It seems more likely that it was a v8 that screwed up the launch, you said he did a burnout, can a v6 f-body do a burnout on the street?
Well, like Fox Mulder posts on his wall: "I want to believe." From what I experienced and from what I read I now think it was probably a Camaro SS. He did burn out and I think that cost him the race. But really, I can't be certain. It could have been a V6 with the hood and scoop and mods.

What I do know is, I had a great launch, reved up to 6300 or a little higher, did very quick shifts and that I ended up about a car length, not lengths ahead at about 100 mph.

My guess it was his bad driving that won me the race. Assuming a Camaro SS does the 1/4 in 13.5 or so, I should have lost but, I can see winning when he has no traction at the get go.

Whatever the case, let's not turn this thread into a flame fest. I'm sure other Zs will post about their encounters with Camaros and we'll know for certain in short time how we par up.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Caswell

Originally posted by hfm
From what I recall, the whole roof was white.
Well then, if the whole top was white (hardtop) then that throws out any significance that the body-colored roof bar has. My guess - you raced a debadged Z28 with an SS hood and spolier. Same car as an SS, so nice kill!

BGM, sure there are a lot of f-body guys that think they're invincible in a street race. Show me where I'm one of them. You can direct your anger, frustration, or whatever else it is at someone else, because I'm a big fan of the 350Z and can totally see a high 13-second car beating a low 13-second car by holeshotting him.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:02 AM
ou812

you guys are killing me. First let me just set aside i have both cars a 2000 ls1 z28 camaro a4 2.73 gears and a mt black track edition z. I find it very hard to believe that the z would win, i had my buddy drive the Z (he has two 10 sec cars) and i drove the Z28. every time we race i would win by two and half too three cars. from a stop i have two cars by 80 and from a go i took a lead instantly.
Now to this story if it was an ls1 then, either the guy just wasnt driving hard or maybe he missed a shift or something anything can happen. i love my z had three z before this one and i ill race anyone who wants to race, but i do know my place on the food chain. But i do love saying i have a Z and Z. when im telling what kind of cars i have to someone.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:18 AM
Blue350zCali

ou812, I was just wondering why you didnt drive the z and have your buddy drive the camaro. It just sounds funny that you would let someone race your new car while you raced your old car. Im not doubting you have a z, just wierd IMO.

Quick Reply: Played with a Camero