Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Played with a Camero

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 10:43 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Played with a Camaro

Was cruising along. White Camaro with a scoop over the hood passes me going the opposite direction. Keep cruising and hit a stop sign. What do I see in my rear view mirror? The Camaro. So, I take off from the stop sign fairly quickly and stop at the next sign and turn off VDC. I look over to my right and there he is. There is a long straight away ahead of us.

I nod, he nods. He punches it. I punch it. I was amazed at how much better my launch was than the last time I tried with VDC off. I pull on him in first. his hood is at my door. I pull on him in second, I see his lights in my passenger side window. I pull on 3rd. His lights are in my rear view window. I'm about a car length ahead at this point and I know that after 3rd I'm over 90. After a bit more accelleration in 4th, I cut power. What a rush.

He passes by me after I cut power no longer gunning it and I get to see one of those curvy wings. So, what kind of Camaro has the scoop and curvy wing? I'm sure it wasn't a SS or it would have had said so I'm guessing stock Camaro.

Woo!

[Edit - Camero -> Camaro]

Last edited by hfm; 02-22-2003 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:09 PM
quallabone_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid Camero's or CAMARO's as they're known to the public (j/k.. Don't visciously attack my mullet and redneck nature)

I'm guessing base with a new hood. Dual exhaust? V8 sounding?
Old 02-22-2003, 11:42 PM
hfm

Originally posted by quallabone
Stupid Camero's or CAMARO's as they're known to the public (j/k.. Don't visciously attack my mullet and redneck nature)

I'm guessing base with a new hood. Dual exhaust? V8 sounding?
Didn't notice the exhaust. And, I'm not sure if it was V8 or a V6 sounding since I was listening to the nice sounds my own car was making.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:18 AM
2001Stang

Originally posted by hfm
Didn't notice the exhaust. And, I'm not sure if it was V8 or a V6 sounding since I was listening to the nice sounds my own car was making.
By your description it sounds to me like it was a SS. BTW those stock Z28's make about the same HP as the SS. Sounds to me like you were the better drive. The one problem with having 320 + RWTQ is it is harder to get a clean launch especially on the street.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:22 AM
Caswell

Thumbs up

Nice kill. You know what they say, anything can happen on the street

Not sure what you mean when you say "curvy wing" - the SS spoiler looks like a normal Camaro wing that's been pushed up a bit in the middle. They do make "shogun" style wings for Camaros just like the riceboys have - is that what you're talking about?
Old 02-23-2003, 08:50 AM
hfm

Originally posted by 2001Stang
By your description it sounds to me like it was a SS. BTW those stock Z28's make about the same HP as the SS. Sounds to me like you were the better drive. The one problem with having 320 + RWTQ is it is harder to get a clean launch especially on the street.
Ah, that's very nice to know. He did burn out and screech his tires on launch and I'm sure he had some wheel spin, allowing me to get a hood to door advantage in 1st. And, I found out it's tricky to get a clean launch with VDC off earlier last week with 290 hp, I can imagine it being worse with 320.

I was thinking it was a late-model Z28. But, I guess it could have been a SS without stickers. Eitherway, I was very pleased.

Originally posted by Caswell
Nice kill. You know what they say, anything can happen on the street

Not sure what you mean when you say "curvy wing" - the SS spoiler looks like a normal Camaro wing that's been pushed up a bit in the middle. They do make "shogun" style wings for Camaros just like the riceboys have - is that what you're talking about?
Thanks. It was, well, curvy downwards. I've seen them before on Camaros and I assume they are on certain types of Camaros but which ones, I haven't a clue. It was nice looking and stock, no riciness about it.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Caswell

Originally posted by hfm
Thanks. It was, well, curvy downwards. I've seen them before on Camaros and I assume they are on certain types of Camaros but which ones, I haven't a clue. It was nice looking and stock, no riciness about it.
The Camaro SS spoiler looks like the attached picture. Not the best indicatio of what kind of Camaro it was though. The SS hood and spoiler are readily available in the aftermarket, and I've seen V6 Camaros with them.

One easy way to tell if you were running a V8 was if the roof bar was black. Obviuously if the whole car was black this won't help, and the 35th Collector's Edition was all red, but pretty much every other LS1-powered Camaro has a black roof bar despite the color of the car.

Again, nice kill. I'm not trying to say you beat a V6, I'm just trying to help you figure out what it was.
Attached Thumbnails Played with a Camero-afterthoughtsauto_1724_986532.jpg  
Old 02-23-2003, 09:11 AM
hfm

Originally posted by Caswell
The Camaro SS spoiler looks like the attached picture. Not the best indicatio of what kind of Camaro it was though. The SS hood and spoiler are readily available in the aftermarket, and I've seen V6 Camaros with them.

One easy way to tell if you were running a V8 was if the roof bar was black. Obviuously if the whole car was black this won't help, and the 35th Collector's Edition was all red, but pretty much every other LS1-powered Camaro has a black roof bar despite the color of the car.

Again, nice kill. I'm not trying to say you beat a V6, I'm just trying to help you figure out what it was.
That's the wing but, I dont recall if "molded" out cleanly like that on the sides outside the hatchback. I think it did, but I'm not certain.

The car was all white. I don't recall seeing any black. Not sure what you mean by roof bar. I'm guessing you mean the B pillar between the door glass and the hatchback?

Anyway, whether it was a V6 or a V8, I was very pleased with my launch. I set my rev warning light to 6300 a couple weeks ago and, the pull all the way up there and a little beyond is fantastic.

You know on hindsight, I think his engine and exhaust would have sounded more throaty and deep if it were a V8. It was probably a V6 but I guess I'll never know.

Last edited by hfm; 02-23-2003 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:28 AM
1sweet00SS

Nice kill. It sounds like you beat an SS. Like someone already said, anything can happen on the street. Sounds like your a very good driver.

On a side not, I ran a 350z last night. It was a beautiful car. Silver, with some after market chrome rims. He chased after me, and at the next red light he motioned for us to go. I got the shot out of the hole. At the top of first, I had a car on him, by the time I was at the top of 2nd, I had 3 cars on him. I shut it down going into third.

At the next light we complimented each others rides and did it again with the same results. It was a fun run with a sweet car.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Aloharacing

You can rule out a V6 Camaro.

An acquaintance of mine had a '97 V6, and even with mods, he couldn't break 16!
Old 02-23-2003, 01:53 PM
hfm

Thanks guys!
Old 02-23-2003, 03:39 PM
rodH

Originally posted by 1sweet00SS
Nice kill. It sounds like you beat an SS. Like someone already said, anything can happen on the street. Sounds like your a very good driver.

On a side not, I ran a 350z last night. It was a beautiful car. Silver, with some after market chrome rims. He chased after me, and at the next red light he motioned for us to go. I got the shot out of the hole. At the top of first, I had a car on him, by the time I was at the top of 2nd, I had 3 cars on him. I shut it down going into third.

At the next light we complimented each others rides and did it again with the same results. It was a fun run with a sweet car.
nice that you guys can run and still remain friendly

WOW, looks like you have a LOT of mods that thing MUST MOVE!!, I am going to guess the Z had NOTHING to be embarassed about losing to you and all your mods.

keep up the friendly kills!!
Old 02-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Zmeflyby

well done man!
Old 02-23-2003, 07:47 PM
ZFlyer

Nice kill.

I raced a friend of mine with a 98' Z28 automatic with a shift kit, and some various mods and barely pulled on him. We were still side by side, with his nose at my door when we shut down.

-Bryan
Old 02-23-2003, 09:08 PM
1sweet00SS

Originally posted by rodH
nice that you guys can run and still remain friendly

WOW, looks like you have a LOT of mods that thing MUST MOVE!!, I am going to guess the Z had NOTHING to be embarassed about losing to you and all your mods.

keep up the friendly kills!!
Thanks. Friendly races are definitely the best. The Z had nothing to be ashamed about. He challenged me, lost, and was friendly about it. This is exactly what I do when I lose. A class act .
Old 02-23-2003, 09:11 PM
sukkoi19

You pulled on a modded LS1 Huh? A4 to boot....its getting thick again.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:59 PM
hfm

Originally posted by 1sweet00SS
2000 Camaro SS, Exhaust-cut out, Nitto DR

Old times:

13.3 @ 107 w/ a 2.0 60ft

New HP Mods: 220/220 114 TR cam, Comp 918 springs, titanium retainers, hardened push rods, Hooker longtube headers, ASP pulley, LS6 intake, LS6 clutch, Qtec electric cut-out, Nitto DR

380 rwhp/368 rwtq

Suspension/Brake mods: BMR Tubular K-member, BMR sway bars, BMR, trailing arms, BMR sub-frame connectors, BMR pan-hard rod, Baer slotted/cross drilled rotors, Hawke brake pads

New times:

12.7 @ 113.25 w/ a 2.1 60ft
Damn. That's got to push you back in your seat!
Old 02-24-2003, 03:55 AM
MI_SS_IL

Good kill

Chris
Old 02-24-2003, 09:08 AM
1sweet00SS

Originally posted by hfm
Damn. That's got to push you back in your seat!
Oh yea ! This car is a blast to drive. Right now my clutch doesn't grab very well from a start, but this is good, because if it did my crappy GM rear end would blow up. Once I decide to upgrade my clutch and rear end, I should be in the low/mid 12's at the same mph.

Mike
Old 02-24-2003, 12:16 PM
BlueWS6

Default Re: Played with a Camaro

Originally posted by hfm
Was cruising along. White Camaro with a scoop over the hood passes me going the opposite direction. Keep cruising and hit a stop sign. What do I see in my rear view mirror? The Camaro. So, I take off from the stop sign fairly quickly and stop at the next sign and turn off VDC. I look over to my right and there he is. There is a long straight away ahead of us.

I nod, he nods. He punches it. I punch it. I was amazed at how much better my launch was than the last time I tried with VDC off. I pull on him in first. his hood is at my door. I pull on him in second, I see his lights in my passenger side window. I pull on 3rd. His lights are in my rear view window. I'm about a car length ahead at this point and I know that after 3rd I'm over 90. After a bit more accelleration in 4th, I cut power. What a rush.

He passes by me after I cut power no longer gunning it and I get to see one of those curvy wings. So, what kind of Camaro has the scoop and curvy wing? I'm sure it wasn't a SS or it would have had said so I'm guessing stock Camaro.

Woo!

[Edit - Camero -> Camaro]
If it was an SS, it would have had SS emblems, however, if it was black or a dark color, it's hard to see them because the emblems are black as well.

Quick Reply: Played with a Camero