Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Skidpad anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 04:37 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skidpad anyone?

Well, I took my car out on the skidpad this weekend at Summit Point, and during the 10 minutes, I couldn't master the controlled oversteer. I guess with the short wheelbase, the rear end likes to snap-steer around pretty easily. Now, I did get a few laps around the skidpad in a E46 M3, and I was able to control an oversteer for a few seconds, but with my Z, no luck whatsoever. I definitely need more practice, and highly recommend that people try it so that you can control your oversteer on the wet.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Dolby109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What numbers did you pull?

How much does it cost to run on a skidpad?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:34 AM
ExtremeLean

What group sponsored the day at Summit? I live only an hour and a half from Summit, and I'd come out for some skidpad time if I knew what days were available. I've also been looking for some open track time, but most of the track days for the year are already full.

Also, if you want to get used to your car on the skidpad, see if they will turn the sprinklers on. That skidpad gets incredibly slippery when wet. This leads to lower speeds and the car will be a lot less violent when the rear wheels catch (i.e when the car starts to get sideways and you let off the gas).

Aaron
Lemans Sunset Track
Old 03-03-2003, 11:34 AM
John

I was at Summit Point working a CarGuys event, but had the opportunity to play on the skidpad Sunday. Yes, the sprinklers were on (so it helped wash off my dirty car a little), so it wasn't hard to get the rear-end out. I tried in 2nd gear, but it's more difficult to control the rear end with your throttle, so I stuck with 3rd.

ExtremeLean, your best bet would to be try a NASA event or a FATT day. I live in N. Arlington, so the driving distance is pretty much equal to that of one from Fairfax. I don't have the schedule of FATTs, but I do know they fill up in advance. NASA has an event June 21-22, and two tentative dates in the summer / fall for the Shenandoah Circuit (which was well underway). CarGuys events are pricey, but with that comes less cars, and thus less traffic on the track (their next SP event is June 28-29).
Old 03-03-2003, 11:58 AM
ExtremeLean

Originally posted by Hedonist
NASA has an event June 21-22, and two tentative dates in the summer / fall for the Shenandoah Circuit (which was well underway).
How does the new track look? I've not been to Summit point since august or so.

After the safety nightmare that is the Jefferson circuit, I'm not going to sign up for any track days on the Shenandoah circuit until feel comfortable with the design and layout.

Aaron
Lemans Sunset Track
Old 03-03-2003, 12:37 PM
John

The Shenandoah Circuit looks extremely technical, with serious elevation changes. Thus far, they've only plowed the trees, and it was difficult to see how much they'd accomplish from the road (due to the 12" of snow still on the ground there).

Old 03-05-2003, 08:06 PM
commasense

You can't run your own car on the skidpad at a FATT. Only the track's specially prepared Caprices.

I once was allowed to take my Miata on the skidpad at a Miata Club event, but they wouldn't turn on the sprinklers.