Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Midwest Track Day - Gingerman, So. Haven, MI

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 01:33 PM
LaterApex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Track Day - Gingerman, So. Haven, MI

The Detroit Alfa Romeo Owners Club and the S2000 Club are jointly-sponsoring a Gingerman Spring Event (Driver's Ed.). The venue is Gingerman Raceway, So. Haven, Michigan just east of I-196 on Phoenix Road. The date is on Memorial Day weekend, Sunday, 25 May 2003. Yes, it is the same day as the Indy 500 but there are lots of folks who are not going this year for all of th obvious reasons.

It is intended to be a free flowing, relaxed but also educational event.

If you are not familiar with Gingerman, it's an exceedingly safe track environment.

We hope to have the track concession stand open for you to sample what I think is the best food in the race track industry prepared by the local master himself, George.

There will be a short, on-track familiarization tour by van or bus to start the day just prior to the morning driver's meeting for those new to Gingerman's course.

The touring session for this event is a two-hour open track but it's intended for true "touring." This is unique for this event alone and may be repeated at some future events if it is well received by the participants.

Beyond the Detroit AROC, the Ohio, Western Michigan and Chicago AROC have also been invited to participate.

We hereby invite you 350Z folks to also participate.

It will be a nice opportunity to compare your hardware to the S2000 at a minimum. Several S2000 have already signed up.

Beyond the Alfa Romeo classics and the S2000 cars that will attend, we intend to extend invitations to many other including but not limited to Lotus, WRX, Porsche, Audi, 350z, BMW and Corvette clubs. We are told that one Exige, one 911 and one Corvette are now registering and we may also have at least one Elise.

For selfish reasons we have limited the field to 55 cars including instructors.

Pricing is quite reasonable at $120. Touring fee is $20 for non-participants in the event. There is no charge for participants.

Applications made after May 10 are subject to a late filing fee of $20. Another late fee of $20 is charged for "at site" enrollment.
I am exceedingly confident that you may disregard these fees because we will fill and fill very early.

Further detailed information on this event can be found at http://www.s2kca.com/aroc. Our on-line registration is under construction at present but you may download registration forms for mailing.

Contacts and nearly all necessary information may be found at that site.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Nealoc187

I'll be there in the Max assuming my lame FWD sedan is allowed. I can probably also convince a Z owner to show up.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:35 PM
LaterApex

Default Midwest Track Day - Gingerman, So. Haven, MI

Come on over. All registrants are equally welcome.

I hope that you and your pal have a great time.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:58 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I'll be there in the Max assuming my lame FWD sedan is allowed. I can probably also convince a Z owner to show up.

hmmm....who could that Z owner be????
Old 03-10-2003, 07:46 AM
LaterApex

Default Bump

Bump
Old 03-10-2003, 08:53 AM
chahny

The Gingerman Track event sounds great.

Do you have any contact or event information for the Western Michigan Alfa Club's Grattan event the following day, May 26?

The double header would be nice.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:16 AM
LaterApex

Default Midwest Track Day, Gingerman 25 May

The Alfa Romeo folks do not have a web site for their event nor do they have a flyer.

I'm having the WMAROC folks mail an application to me that I should be able to copy and mail to you. If you wish to have me do this, send a PM to me and include your mailing address and I agree to send it to you as soon as I have it in my hot little hands.

Trending Topics

Old 03-11-2003, 08:05 PM
LaterApex

Default Pre Event Tech Inspection Poll

The S2000 club is going to hold a pre-event brake fluid bleed and brake pad party just prior to the Gingerman event.

However, there's a pre-event technical inspection that needs to be done as well. So, there is a poll at the S2000 site about having a combined party to do the tech inspection and the brake stuff.

If you are planning to attend, drop over to vote at the poll thread.

http://www.s2kca.com/forums/showthre...=&threadid=602

Thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Vlad

I never been to such events, and don't have any related experience. But track is so close to me... So I'd appreciate you clarifying some things for me

1) Will I fit in without any prev. experience?

2) Do I have to pay for insructor in addition? How much instructor going to cost me?

3) Where I can find exact schedule, hour-by-hour? Especially I 'd love to see explanation of activities... What seems obvious for some people - japanese for me.

4) Will people lough at me coming with automatic Z350? I like it perfect and since I can't have two Zs for everyday driving and spirited driving, I got 5AT... But I suspect everybody else will have manual there and I'll look funny for them...

Thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 12:29 PM
LaterApex

Hi Vlad,

I'll address your issues in the order in which you presented them.

Prior Experience
The purpose of the "Brake Bleed and Pad Party" is to teach those who have not bled their brakes how to do so for track use. So, you can conclude that the 5 - S2000 folks that are attending have never been to the track. I anticipate about 15-20 newbies. Actually, my sole purpose in organizing this jointly-sponsored event is to get as many S2000 newbies out there as I can. Not only will you fit in, we'll pay special attention to ensure that you learn and will come back.

Instructor Cost
There is no payment of instructors. Instructors or "Tutors" are all volunteers. They also pay for their time on the track. The only compensation that they derive is to have an exclusive group on the track for Tutors only. The on-track rules for Tutors are a little looser than for less experienced drivers. Since these folks are contributing their time, you can damn well bet that they "want" to help you learn and be safe doing it.

Detailed Schedule
While the application form has a general schedule, the detail schedule will be very close to that contained in the spreadsheet that I've attached to this reply.

Automatic Transmission
This is a new issue to me. I'm not prepared to give you a straight answer. I need to consult my team to get an appropriate response for you. I'll be back here later on this topic.

I need a little more information for discussion. I have seen Boxsters at the track with Tiptronic. May I safely assume that the 350Z has a manual mode?..... with lockout on reverse?

Sorry I hiccuped on the transmission but thanks for making me learn about the issue.

Be back soon,
LaterApex
Attached Thumbnails Midwest Track Day - Gingerman, So. Haven, MI-gman_sched2.jpg  
Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Vlad

Sure it has manual mode, but it's not as fast as SMG...

It won't upshif if hit a revlimiter, it will downshift only if you coming to a stop. It won't go below 1 gear (no reverse).

Automatic mode is very fast, and I've seen some posts saying automatic 350z will keep up with manual on the track... So I'm not even sure if I'll need manual mode. But I probably will, since it tend to upshift earlier than track conditions demand.

But all that stuff about hill-toe is useless with 5AT, of course.

I have another friend with 5AT Z who is going to come from Chicago, if we'll deside to participate, and yet another one here in Grand Rapids with AT also. So this is a big question for us, if there will be other AT cars... which I doubt.

Last edited by Vlad; 03-12-2003 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:20 PM
LaterApex

Vlad,

I'm actually concerned with rev-matching on downshifts which a true SMG does. Matching a manual on straight line accelleration is one thing, managing a technical track without rev-matching may be another issue entirely.

My only automatic experience was the GMC Typhoon that I used to own and I had no way of matching on it.

I'm sorry about the spreadsheet. I'll re-post it.

Sorry Vlad, the forum system will not permit me to post the schedule detail because the file is too large. I tried reducing it but the text lost it's formatting entirely.

If you wish, send a pm with your e-mail address and I can attach the spreadsheet itself.

I'll be back.
LaterApex
Old 03-12-2003, 08:55 PM
max2000jp

Vlad,
Don't worry about your auto tranny. It will be no problem at Gingerman! My friend has tracked a few auto cars and they have been fine. You might want to add a tranny cooler though. Even in a manual, you really don't need to heal and toe downshift at Gingerman. I just left my car in 3rd gear the last time I went, in order to get my technique down.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Caswell

I'm pretty interested in this now that my old man is giving me his too-old-for-SCCA-club-racing SA90 helmet.

Are f-bodies welcome? How would t-tops be handled?
Old 03-14-2003, 07:40 PM
LaterApex

Since I'm going up to Road America to run with the Midwest F-Body Association on April 12-13, it would only be right and proper to reciprocate. Of Course your F-Body is welcome.

T-tops come under the Open Car rules. The tech inspection, application and FAQ should answer your questions fully. You can download these at S2000/Alfa Romeo

Please check the rules on the helmet. It may be too old.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
Caswell

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like no roll bar would be required, but SA95 is minimum on the helmet. Probably a no go then, but I'll double-check when I get my hands on it. At worst I'll have a better helmet for strip use - I've been running an SA85 Bandit that I had previously retired when I went flying into the Armco and then onto the asphalt in a karting wreck.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the helmet
Old 03-17-2003, 05:21 AM
Vlad

oops! I'll need a helmet? Where those could be found, and how much it costs?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 AM
LaterApex

Helmets will run from about US$140, including shipping to the stratospheric US$5-600 range. Being a pauper myself, I have the lowest of the low, a G-Force GF800.

On the other hand, I may be the only person that you see out there with a nomex helmet support and full helmet restraints to protect against neck injury.

There are a number of sites that will server you well. One that has most manufacturers (Bell, Simpson, Arai, OMP, Bieffe, G-Force, and MQ1) is
Fast Helmets

There is also:
Roadsters
Day Motor Sports
OMP USA
Racing Mart Racers Wholesale (my source)

Sometimes you can find a very good deal at Racer's Auction
Old 03-19-2003, 03:50 PM
LaterApex

Caswell

You should try eBay for helmets. I've seen a couple of nice ones going for very good prices.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:59 PM
Caswell

I'll check them out, but I'm waiting on my old man to send his old Shark up to me. There's a chance it's SA95, so we'll see.

Quick Reply: Midwest Track Day - Gingerman, So. Haven, MI