Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:10 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default Cross-country 350Z run

Friday I'll be leaving my home here in Colorado and heading to Southern Cal. While I have some work to do (research for an upcoming article on Nissan Motorsports for Sport Z magazine) I'll be looking forward to stretching my 350Z legs on the highway.

I've also entered Speedventures Buttonwillow event next Friday and the Speed Trial event at Willow Springs the following day as well. I'm glad the timing worked out to experience both these tracks on the same weekend. While I have experience in racing at many tracks around the country, I've never laid eyes on either of these tracks before.

My Redline track model remains mostly stock and several runs at Colorado racetracks have thoroughly run off the front tires. I decided to try the S03 as a replacement up front (the 040s remain on the back) and will be curious to see how this combo works. With the S03s wider footprint and stiff sidewall construction, I'm hoping for a bit less understeer (I'm sure that's what I'll get: "a bit" less, LOL).

Looking forward to meeting the legendary Raceboy (and checking out his Nismo S-tune suspension and super stereo) and the rest of the California Z-enthusiasts who regularly post here!

In any case- it's early in the season fo a long trip, but this will be my ticket to adventure! SHIFT_vacation? SHIFT_racing? I'll post more when I return in a few weeks.

Last edited by dkmura; 03-13-2003 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:44 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us now what you think of the NISMO suspension vs. the stock.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:55 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Jmark-

I'm writing from Phoenix (staying at a friend's house) and I wish I had the Nismo kit ON my Redline already!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:57 PM
JimH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Phoenix?

DK, I am in Phoenix as well. How long will you be in the area?
I start my 6-7 week road trip around the 10th of April. I'll be driving my LS Touring (Here in front of the Bank One ballpark in the rain today!) and plan on roughly 7k miles before pulling back into Phoenix. I'll be heading the opposite direction as you as I head for Florida and up the east coast into Canada and eventually back to Arizona with a week or so dedicated to photography in the Rockies. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by dkmura
Jmark-

I'm writing from Phoenix (staying at a friend's house) and I wish I had the Nismo kit ON my Redline already!
Old 03-18-2003, 02:26 AM
jmark

Jim,

How are the Eibachs doing? Is the bounce gone?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:24 AM
JimH

Default Bounce?

I have been a little busy lately and have not measured again to see if the drop has increased since the install, but will try to get to that today.
As to the infamouse bounce/porpoising, it has markedly decreased, but again, I changed rim size (17 to 18), tire size and added the Eibach's, and I am not yet sure which change has accomplished what. I suppose all three changes could have contributed tho... In the end, my ride is both better and different since the changes AND, I love the look! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by jmark
Jim,

How are the Eibachs doing? Is the bounce gone?
Old 03-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

JimH.

When are you going to be in the Rockies?

Let us know and perhaps we will have a meet in your honor or simply another excuse to get together in the Denver area.

Joe
Old 03-29-2003, 11:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Quick trip summary

Well, I've been back for a few days and my head's still spinning. Put on almost 4K in 11 days and four states. The Z was a fine companion, but I want a better sound system (speakers and power), suspension kit (Nismo S-tune?) and tires (the S03s up front were quite good on both street and track).

Some highlights were taking in three National Parks (Petrified Forest, Joshua Tree and Grand Canyon), getting almost 30 MPG at 75-90 MPH and enjoying all that the West Coast has to offer. Missed the humongo snow storm in Colorado, but someone had to do it.

This adventure took me through both mountains and deserts (and even had to "ford" a flooded plain). Felt the waves of the Pacific tickle my toes and winds and rain dance over the sleek lines of my Z. It was truly a time to remember and relish.

To JimH- sorry I missed you and your LeMans Sunset in Phoenix. I was gone by the next day, but I hope to meet up with you sometime (when you swing by Colorado?)

For those of you who asked about the Nismo kit, I just put a reply in on Raceboy's thread and review of the S-tune suspension. The short answer is: it works well and is going to be a worthwhile option!

The two track events went well- for me at least- but Buttonwillow and Willow Springs are quite different in character. I actually liked Willow Springs and it's high-speed, better-be-on-line-or-else and "big cajones" mentality better than the technical and precise nature of BW's #14 configuration.

Last note is a shameless plug for Sport Z. The article I'm putting together about Nissan Motorsports has me juiced. Learned quite a bit on this trip and hope to share it with all the Sport Z readers in an upcoming issue!

Last edited by dkmura; 03-29-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:41 PM
jmark

Default Re: Quick trip summary

Originally posted by dkmura
Well, I've been back for a few days and my head's still spinning. Put on almost 4K in 11 days and four states. The Z was a fine companion, but I want a better sound system (speakers and power), suspension kit (Nismo S-tune?) and tires (the S03s up front were quite good on both street and track).

Some highlights were taking in three National Parks (Petrified Forest, Joshua Tree and Grand Canyon), getting almost 30 MPG at 75-90 MPH and enjoying all that the West Coast has to offer. Missed the humongo snow storm in Colorado, but someone had to do it.

This adventure took me through both mountains and deserts (and even had to "ford" a flooded plain). Felt the waves of the Pacific tickle my toes and winds and rain dance over the sleek lines of my Z. It was truly a time to remember and relish.

To JimH- sorry I missed you and your LeMans Sunset in Phoenix. I was gone by the next day, but I hope to meet up with you sometime (when you swing by Colorado?)

For those of you who asked about the Nismo kit, I just put a reply in on Raceboy's thread and review of the S-tune suspension. The short answer is: it works well and is going to be a worthwhile option!

The two track events went well- for me at least- but Buttonwillow and Willow Springs are quite different in character. I actually liked Willow Springs and it's high-speed, better-be-on-line-or-else and "big cajones" mentality better than the technical and precise nature of BW's #14 configuration.

Last note is a shameless plug for Sport Z. The article I'm putting together about Nissan Motorsports has me juiced. Learned quite a bit on this trip and hope to share it with all the Sport Z readers in an upcoming issue!
How bout sharing the Nissan Motorsports news with us?????
Old 03-30-2003, 07:01 AM
Mudd

My advice would be to wait until the information is in the magazine. Sport Z is a fine publication, it's very well put together, has some great content and has far more info then what DKMURA could ever share here.

My advice........order a subscription!! It's worth every penny!

Brian
Old 03-30-2003, 08:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Exactly!

Originally posted by Mudd
My advice would be to wait until the information is in the magazine. Sport Z is a fine publication, it's very well put together, has some great content and has far more info then what DKMURA could ever share here.

My advice........order a subscription!! It's worth every penny!

Brian
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:38 AM
jmark

I am already a subscriber. Just wanted a little preview....