Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Highway Run: Ran a SS from ~85-135

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 06:09 PM
DamianZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the hell is this rain gonna stop?
When mother nature is not pissed at science.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Runn

Cls is that a fair race between you and JP00SS he has the power advantage already then he has intake and exhaust and says he only beat you by 2 car lenths at 140mph.Now what if you have the same mod it may be a little interesting. Why do people claim there cars are stock then they name about 3-4 things. A mod is a mod even if it just ads 5 hp
Old 04-21-2003, 06:50 PM
CLS

Originally posted by Runn
Cls is that a fair race between you and JP00SS he has the power advantage already then he has intake and exhaust and says he only beat you by 2 car lenths at 140mph.Now what if you have the same mod it may be a little interesting. Why do people claim there cars are stock then they name about 3-4 things. A mod is a mod even if it just ads 5 hp
He is not claiming that he is stock, just that compared to what can be done to one, he is ALMOST stock. When I get some mods on my car we will run and then see what happens. But for now he IS faster, and I would say we are both pretty good drivers.
Any??, what are u smoking, a stock one maybe, but a modded one will own you!
He then said that "sure, an LS1 can be modified to handle." I am sure that there are LS1's that can out perform us on a road course, but a lot of the LS1 guys seem to do more power mods than suspension. From MY experience.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:41 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JP00SS
I swear these LS1's you guys are racing have never raced in their life. I am not saying that the LS1 is so much faster than the Z, but I have raced CLS from this board many times and my car pulls on him probably 2 cars to 140. When we first start to race I pull him pretty quick and then my pull slows before we stop. I have some mods, but I am pretty much stock. Lid and Cat-Back Exhaust on a LS1 is not very modded. I just don't see how a Z is pulling 3 to 4 cars to 135 on a LS1 unless the LS1 driver is letting off.
No flames because CLS handed me my *** on the dragon, and in a straight line his car is by no means slow.
I don't think that is ANYTHING to be embarrassed about, 2 car lengths against a very powerful V8, is nothing to be ashamed about. Honestly, this is how I expect the run to go (drivers being equal), sure we will have stories (and even some honest ones) about a Z beating a Z28, etc...but drivers being equal, I don't think the Z is as good in a straight line (stock).

2 car lengths to 140 is pretty good
Old 04-22-2003, 09:07 AM
JP00SS

Originally posted by rodH
I don't think that is ANYTHING to be embarrassed about, 2 car lengths against a very powerful V8, is nothing to be ashamed about.
2 car lengths to 140 is pretty good
I agree totally.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:19 AM
JP00SS

Originally posted by Runn
If you would read my post, intake (lid and bellows) and exhaust IS very CLOSE to stock on a LS1, there are some stock LS1's that put down higher numbers than mine STOCK.
The only reason I posted on this thread, which I knew would become a pissing match is because it was said the LS1 was taken by 3 to 4 car lengths to 135 or whatever. Thats the only reason I said anything because that IS driver error if both cars are racing.

Believe it or not, I am not on this board to say "My LS1 is the fastest thing ever and can smoke your Z all day long". When this board first started their was alot of that, but I think the majority of the LS1 guys that hang out here are good guys as long as there is no BS involved. I really like the Z and my friend CLS has one so I am interested in them, but when somebody states something that I don't see correct, I am gonna say something about it, as well as the others. What are forums for?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:44 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

but when somebody states something that I don't see correct, I am gonna say something about it, as well as the others. What are forums for?
Absolutely...thats what I was looking for in the first place -- a civilized discussion. My comments were not towards you. I've seen most of your posts and you're quite an asset to the board, bringing good info to the table.

As you can see in my original post, I did convey the fact that I thought something was wrong -- I was asking for some info as to why this happened. A previous Z28 owner said that the LS1 f-bodies have less high speed (100+) performance than the 350Z, is this a justified comment?

Lets talk about gearing and match some dyno charts if your interested.

I'd say there was something wrong mechanically/gearing rather than driver error as it was a 90+ run and didn't really require launching and maybe one shift.

Last edited by zxsaint; 04-22-2003 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:09 AM
JP00SS

Originally posted by zxsaint
Absolutely...thats what I was looking for in the first place -- a civilized discussion. My comments were not towards you. I've seen most of your posts and you're quite an asset to the board, bringing good info to the table.

As you can see in my original post, I did convey the fact that I thought something was wrong -- I was asking for some info as to why this happened. A previous Z28 owner said that the LS1 f-bodies have less high speed (100+) performance than the 350Z, is this a justified comment?

Lets talk about gearing and match some dyno charts if your interested.

I'd say there was something wrong mechanically/gearing rather than driver error as it was a 90+ run and didn't really require launching and maybe one shift.
Thanks, I am not sure about the high speed performance over 100+ I have never driven CLS's car over that speed. When we raced it was from around 55 to 140 and in our two cars that didn't take very long, but it did seem that my pull slowed as we got faster. Next time we race we will have to do a 100, to what do u say Travis, 160?

The gears in my M6 car are 3.42's , I am not sure about the Z. I will be happy to post some dyno charts if you want. Just let me know.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:39 AM
ELESWON

Yes, there definitly more power mods than suspension mods made to Fbodies commonly. Not to say that they cant be made to handle. They can trust me. As to the LS1s into the triple digits, they pull very hard to about 125-128 (end of 4th) but 5th is about .74 o/d gear, not good for racing with stock gears. But this only comes into play with super top end cars like exotics, Vipers, Z06s, 911 TT Porsches, single turbo Supras, etc. For most cars, if the race gets to 80 and you arent pulling hard, the LS1 will likely win. Just my experiance. I have a lot more cars hang well from a dead dig to like 70 than to start from a roll 40 or higher.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 AM
CLS

We can go to 156mph! That is where I top out, what about you? If you would just buy a damn video camera we could have proof of what happens. You get the passenger to record it though !
Old 04-22-2003, 12:54 PM
JP00SS

I think the fuel cut off is like 167 or something, but I don't know of any roads here or ATL where I would want to go that fast for to long(if it would do it) and if your cheap *** would buy the camera, I would be glad to show everybody how good your HID's look in my rear-view
Old 04-22-2003, 03:01 PM
ELESWON

I think the fuel cut off is like 167 or something
Its 162 acutally. But if you have nads to take a Fbody with stock suspension that high, go for it. Im comfortable at 130, i do 140 without any qualms, but by 150 and on up i can always think of like a million other places id rather be at that time.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:08 PM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by ELESWON
Its 162 acutally. But if you have nads to take a Fbody with stock suspension that high, go for it. Im comfortable at 130, i do 140 without any qualms, but by 150 and on up i can always think of like a million other places id rather be at that time.
I wish we had digital readouts for MPH. Ive had my speedo buried more than a few times ...however the only MPH I can quote is 150 + 2inches down. Although I can agree. At 150+mph.. its very uh...interesting.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:23 PM
CLS

Originally posted by ELESWON
Not gonna try it anytime soon
Old 04-22-2003, 03:26 PM
JP00SS

The above post was supposed to be under my username, but I guess since CLS signed in on my computer last weekend, it set the cookie as his username.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:12 PM
JamRWS6

If it is not windy outside ..150mph isn't really that scary.

I would SERIOUSLY doubt a 350Z has better triple digit acceleration....while 5th gear is an overdrive it is still not bad for pulling hte car from 130mph....the 5th gear in Mustangs is another story...absolutely falls off.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:42 PM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by JamRWS6
If it is not windy outside ..150mph isn't really that scary.

I would SERIOUSLY doubt a 350Z has better triple digit acceleration....while 5th gear is an overdrive it is still not bad for pulling hte car from 130mph....the 5th gear in Mustangs is another story...absolutely falls off.
In my Auto third to OD hits at 135..and pulls past 150 soon after.. I can only hope that a T56 is capable of a little more on the top end. From what I understand top speed is achieved in 5th gear and 6th (OD) will actually cause you to slow/stop accelerating.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:39 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
In my Auto third to OD hits at 135..and pulls past 150 soon after.. I can only hope that a T56 is capable of a little more on the top end. From what I understand top speed is achieved in 5th gear and 6th (OD) will actually cause you to slow/stop accelerating.
Yea...the car would be able to redline 5th pretty easily if it were not for the speed limiter at 162.....6th gear stops pulling at about 130 or so but is great for highway trips.

6th gear at 90 mPH = 2000 RPM = 30+ MPG
Old 04-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Maximam

At about 150mph my windows pulled away from the frame, at that point the car felt much more planted to the ground for some reason. The speedo past 150mph farely easily and I would estimate 157+mph till I ran out of road.

3.73 gears would be nice!
Old 04-22-2003, 11:02 PM
S8ER95Z

Originally posted by Maximam
At about 150mph my windows pulled away from the frame, at that point the car felt much more planted to the ground for some reason. The speedo past 150mph farely easily and I would estimate 157+mph till I ran out of road.

3.73 gears would be nice!
Interesting..at 150 ...well at that high in the RPMS (4900~5100rpms) I can't really hear much over the exhaust..but I never noticed the windows pull away. Can you hear the air come in?? That would be insane. I do agree with the way the car feels planted.. Seems to be smoother as well.

As far as gears.. 3:42s in an Auto are supposed to be equiv to 3:73s in a T56.. so I guess Im ok.

Quick Reply: Highway Run: Ran a SS from ~85-135