Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

300ZX, 300ZXTT, 3000GT VR4, M3, Mustang GT, Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 08:16 PM
syf0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300ZX, 300ZXTT, 3000GT VR4, M3, Mustang GT, Firehawk

I have finally decided to write something in this forum. So this is stuff from the past two weeks, mostly at the 1/8th strip in Savannah. I am new to drag racing, my background is more or less European cars and autocross style road-course racing. So feel free to ask me questions, but I'm not too good on details with these cars.

300ZX
This was a Z31 (1989 I think). It was the first car I raced at the drag strip I had a shitty launch and redlnied in second, but everyone who saw it said even when I was spinning, I was spinning past the guy in the 300. The second time I ran him I had him by about 6 car lengths. He was almost a second behind me.

300ZXTT
I know the only reason I beat this car was reaction time. Even so, it was pretty even the whole way.

3000GT VR4
Same as above. The guy who owns it is one of my best friends. Technically he should have been doing a good number on me, but to no avail! I absolutely schooled him every time I raced him. Better reaction time, and I noticed even when we had similar times my exit speed was 10+MPH higher than his! I guess we have a higher gear ratio. The last time we raced he started to pull away but missed third so I sped right past He just had a new engine dropped into his car, I know it won't be so easy next time.

M3
This was a Black 1998 M3. We stayed more or less even the whole way down the strip and I beat him by 1/10th of a second. Not much to comment here, I don't know much about the car.

Mustang GT
I beat this guy by two car lengths. I think these cars really come down to driver. This was my last race of the night and probably one of his first...but it definitely hops. I am just glad he wasn't warmed up, or more skilled, or whatever.

Firehawk
This guy absolutely took me to school. He claimed it was some sort of modified limited production car, which I obviously know nothing about. There was a big number 48 on the hood, factory. The thing was running 8.0s all night, like two cars there could beat him.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 PM
FLY BY Z

Nice runs. The reason for more MPH over the 3000GT is simply more HP. Drag racing is a test of acceleration so if you had lower gears you would have had an even higher MPH and beat him even worse with more MPH. Especially on an 1/8 mile track. In a 1/4 mile almost no (street) car benefits from higher gearing. In fact, I can't think of ANY car in the world that could use higher gearing in a 1/4 or 1/8 mile race. Everything would be faster with lower gears except those already tuned into the 1/4 (1/8). So what times were you turning in the 1/8th?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:50 PM
EnthusiastZ

Good to see another Savannah Z owner in here. Do you frequent Savannah Dragway? My car has yet to see the strip, although I have run my fiance's Eclipse GT out there a few times. Definately not the most well kept dragway.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:03 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
Nice runs. The reason for more MPH over the 3000GT is simply more HP. Drag racing is a test of acceleration so if you had lower gears you would have had an even higher MPH and beat him even worse with more MPH. Especially on an 1/8 mile track. In a 1/4 mile almost no (street) car benefits from higher gearing. In fact, I can't think of ANY car in the world that could use higher gearing in a 1/4 or 1/8 mile race. Everything would be faster with lower gears except those already tuned into the 1/4 (1/8). So what times were you turning in the 1/8th?
the 3K GT VR4 (as posted) is putting down more power than a 350Z and if launched correctly would be showing a 350Z tailights.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:07 PM
syf0n

So what times were you turning in the 1/8th?
My best times were 8.9, 9.0, 9.1. My first run (the terrible one against a Z31) was a 9.9. After that it was all 9.4 and below.

That other dude is right about the VR4 though, it is a friggin' fast car. I don't see how my buddy wasn't knocking my socks off every time...
Old 04-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Marc's R/T

Originally posted by syf0n
My best times were 8.9, 9.0, 9.1. My first run (the terrible one against a Z31) was a 9.9. After that it was all 9.4 and below.

That other dude is right about the VR4 though, it is a friggin' fast car. I don't see how my buddy wasn't knocking my socks off every time...
Maybe he doesn't know how to take full advantage of the car. When I had my 97 VR4, on rare occasion I would take it to the track and bone stock ran a 13.63@103 in the 1/4. 0-60ft was 1.7-1.8 area. Those times would outrun a Z but not stomp it though.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:19 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by JamRWS6
the 3K GT VR4 (as posted) is putting down more power than a 350Z and if launched correctly would be showing a 350Z tailights.
Agreed.

Even a stock 1st gen. VR-4 is putting down 13 more hp at the crank and spreads that to all 4 wheels, with slightly more power to the rears. AWD makes up for its weight like you wouldn't believe. I'm speaking from experience here, since I owned a 1st gen. VR-4. The 2nd and 3rd gen. VR-4s had lower gearing (thanks to a 6 speed tranny) and 20 more hp (stock). My VR-4 was running mid to high 12s in the 1/4 with not much more than a boost controller and an intake. 60' times were just under 2 seconds. The sucker was heavy but fast as hell. I would wonder about the driver of that VR-4 or if he had some mechanical trouble or even a bad turbo. I read that he just had an engine replaced, but who knows what else was possibly wrong. I wonder what year his car is...
Old 04-22-2003, 11:02 AM
syf0n

All that stuff sounds exactly like what he ran. He has a 1st-Gen one, he has had a lot of engine trouble. As I said he gets his car back tomorrow I think. Something with th elifters only having a 1mm hole for oil or something...I don't know anything about the car.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:36 PM
TRMach1

When exactly did an 1/8 mile get legitimized as a drag strip?? As far as I'm concerned, you only got half the job done. That's a joke, go to the big boys track and see how that scenario plays out on a 1/4 mile.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:48 PM
sukkoi19

Originally posted by TRMach1
When exactly did an 1/8 mile get legitimized as a drag strip?? As far as I'm concerned, you only got half the job done. That's a joke, go to the big boys track and see how that scenario plays out on a 1/4 mile.
Lay off. Maybe he doesnt have a 1/4 mile track near him. Least he cared enough to go out and test his car and partake with other auto enthusiasts.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:10 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by TRMach1
As already said, you are an idiot. Think before you post. There isn't a 1/4 trip within an hour of me and the 1/8th is less than five minutes away. Don't you think I'd go to a 1/4 if there was one??? Jebus.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:02 PM
FLY BY Z

IHRA hosts mostly 1/8 mile races. Besides, these can be more exciting as there is less time to think and react to changes in the race. The finish line comes really fast. If you are bracket racing you'd better be ready.

I don't know anything about a VR4 but I think that people are not giving the Z its credit. I think it can run a 13.5 stock. Hopefully I will get a chance to test my theory soon.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:48 AM
jester

IHRA hosts mostly 1/8 mile races. Besides, these can be more exciting as there is less time to think and react to changes in the race. The finish line comes really fast. If you are bracket racing you'd better be ready.
Well, I'll be honest, I do have to agree with "TRMach1"...but think he could have worded it a bit differently ... but no need to call names imho.

And again...my opinion here...but I personally can't stand bracket racing....it's not even real racing if you ask me. It's just being consistant. I've sat and watched some 50 year old lady in a F-250 win races all day long....just for being consistant....not the fastest.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by WashUJon
Agreed.

Even a stock 1st gen. VR-4 is putting down 13 more hp at the crank and spreads that to all 4 wheels, with slightly more power to the rears. AWD makes up for its weight like you wouldn't believe. I'm speaking from experience here, since I owned a 1st gen. VR-4. The 2nd and 3rd gen. VR-4s had lower gearing (thanks to a 6 speed tranny) and 20 more hp (stock). My VR-4 was running mid to high 12s in the 1/4 with not much more than a boost controller and an intake. 60' times were just under 2 seconds. The sucker was heavy but fast as hell. I would wonder about the driver of that VR-4 or if he had some mechanical trouble or even a bad turbo. I read that he just had an engine replaced, but who knows what else was possibly wrong. I wonder what year his car is...
ur foolish if u think a vr4 can take us on a roll..
from a stop they will kill us until the limiter hit 80.
dont believe me
race one
and im referrin to not heavily modded ones
Old 04-23-2003, 05:38 PM
pearl demon

Uhhhm Z's trap at 101? So do stock 2nd gen 3000GT's...

Driver's race from a roll... pretty damn even...

What are you talking about until the limiter hits 80? 80MPH?

Last edited by pearl demon; 04-23-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:22 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by jester
Well, I'll be honest, I do have to agree with "TRMach1"...but think he could have worded it a bit differently ... but no need to call names imho.

And again...my opinion here...but I personally can't stand bracket racing....it's not even real racing if you ask me. It's just being consistant. I've sat and watched some 50 year old lady in a F-250 win races all day long....just for being consistant....not the fastest.
I totally agree about 1/8 mile racing. I was just trying to defend another form of our favorite sport - racing! I always prefer to run down the 1/4 mile. Anyways, bracket racing was created because of one simple fact. In heads up only racing, he with the most money wins. Not the one with better driving skills, better whatever, the most power. And given equal knowledge, money buys power. Hell money buys the knowledge that is needed to make power. So bracket racing is an equalizer. A very Democratic form of drag racing hehe. And hey, even in bracket racing, when two cars from the same subclass race each other, it is heads up because they have the exact same HP/weight breaks and they should theoretically run the same time. Then whoever wins is truly the better driver/scientist.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:31 AM
jester

I totally agree about 1/8 mile racing. I was just trying to defend another form of our favorite sport - racing! I always prefer to run down the 1/4 mile. Anyways, bracket racing was created because of one simple fact. In heads up only racing, he with the most money wins. Not the one with better driving skills, better whatever, the most power. And given equal knowledge, money buys power. Hell money buys the knowledge that is needed to make power. So bracket racing is an equalizer. A very Democratic form of drag racing hehe. And hey, even in bracket racing, when two cars from the same subclass race each other, it is heads up because they have the exact same HP/weight breaks and they should theoretically run the same time. Then whoever wins is truly the better driver/scientist.
I agree to a point...I just don't like the idea of being knocked out for beign TOO fast (IE: break out)
Old 04-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by pearl demon
Uhhhm Z's trap at 101? So do stock 2nd gen 3000GT's...

Driver's race from a roll... pretty damn even...

What are you talking about until the limiter hits 80? 80MPH?
so ur tellin me that u have raced a Z from 80 mph and up rite?
i have raced a vr4 and i beat it from 80 and up.
stock 2nd gen.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:50 PM
Zmeflyby

and i also raced a 1st gen. with exhaust also and beat it on a roll.
just to add on.
so have u raced any 350z's from 80 and up?
im assuming ur not close stock or else u would know that vr4s dont pull hard up at around 80 mph.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:28 PM
pearl demon

Originally posted by Zmeflyby
so ur tellin me that u have raced a Z from 80 mph and up rite?
i have raced a vr4 and i beat it from 80 and up.
stock 2nd gen.
Race one thats running right. I guarantee its about even.

Race a Z from 80?.. Yea if you can call it a race... aint stock buddy.

Quick Reply: 300ZX, 300ZXTT, 3000GT VR4, M3, Mustang GT, Firehawk