Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Racing pointers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:01 AM
mytalon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing pointers

Anyone have some serious pointer on some good shift points?

What are the launch techniques for RWD. I came from an AWD car and the launch was much more forgiving.

Can anyone pass down some friendly knowledge?
Old 04-25-2003, 01:59 PM
S8ER95Z

Default Re: Racing pointers

Originally posted by mytalon
Anyone have some serious pointer on some good shift points?

What are the launch techniques for RWD. I came from an AWD car and the launch was much more forgiving.

Can anyone pass down some friendly knowledge?
Well Live Axle vs IRS is a little bit different..however Concept is the same. Comming from AWD I presume your used to just dumping the clutch from a higher RPM and taking off.. RWD requires more finesse. Try 1400~1800rpm for your launch and rolling into the clutch and gas... I seem to get less wheelspin that way, rather than tryin to dump the clutch. Smooth is fast. As for automatics you can pretty much either brake trq and take off smooth..or go from a dead stop and slam the gas..pray for traction. Im not sure how the 3.5L V6 reacts to gear changes...I know an LT1 can be abused when shifting.. just keep your foot planted and row the gears. Shifting just comes with practice.. so I would work on your launches... the shifting comes natural. Practice on the street... since launching there will give you less traction than the track and you will know what works best in limited traction scenarios.. then you can change that technique a little bit at the track. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-25-2003, 02:47 PM
joeshow750

Yeah, when you're racing, don't lift your foot off the gas when you shift.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:43 PM
mytalon

Default Re: Re: Racing pointers

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
Well Live Axle vs IRS is a little bit different..however Concept is the same. Comming from AWD I presume your used to just dumping the clutch from a higher RPM and taking off.. RWD requires more finesse. Try 1400~1800rpm for your launch and rolling into the clutch and gas... I seem to get less wheelspin that way, rather than tryin to dump the clutch. Smooth is fast. As for automatics you can pretty much either brake trq and take off smooth..or go from a dead stop and slam the gas..pray for traction. Im not sure how the 3.5L V6 reacts to gear changes...I know an LT1 can be abused when shifting.. just keep your foot planted and row the gears. Shifting just comes with practice.. so I would work on your launches... the shifting comes natural. Practice on the street... since launching there will give you less traction than the track and you will know what works best in limited traction scenarios.. then you can change that technique a little bit at the track. Good luck and have fun.
Thanks I'll try slipping the clutch slower. That must be what I'm doing wrong
Old 04-26-2003, 01:45 PM
mytalon

Originally posted by joeshow750
Yeah, when you're racing, don't lift your foot off the gas when you shift.
I figured that out the other day When you shift the Z do you push the clutch to the floor or just partially in.

I had a 95 talon before my Z also
Old 04-26-2003, 02:04 PM
joeshow750

I figured that out the other day When you shift the Z do you push the clutch to the floor or just partially in.
I push it all the way to the floor. I'd like to be able to only push it down far enough to engage but, I tried it for a while and I missed a shift once and grinded...I heard my car say *in Bill Lumberg voice from Office Space* "yeah, uh, I didn't like that. If you could just go ahead and not do that again, yeah, that'd be great, mkay."

You still have your Talon?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:08 AM
mytalon

Originally posted by joeshow750
You still have your Talon?
Unfortunatly no. I got rearended on the interstate, and that was all she wrote. I was going to order a new turbo for it on the following week too.