Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Toyota Vs. Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:45 AM
zerobanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zmoney
I dont know about rape, I think its a drivers race......
a Z at its best is going to run about 14.0. A 3rd gen RX7 at its best will run 13.5. about 1/2 a second difference is a Rape.

Lets put it this way, two equal drivers, equal traction, the -7- wins. Period. Can someone in a 350Z beat a stock RX7? Sure, the cars are close enough that the neither driver can afford error, I dont dis-agree. Its a "drivers" race in the way an RX8 VS a 350Z is a "Drivers" race.

on the highway, the 7 will win easily.

Do any of you guys have turbos yet on the Z? That would be cool.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:30 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zerobanger
Goto www.iluvmyrx7.com, then click on 3rd generation, click on articles, click on speeding beauties, click on page 5.

You will the RX7 ran 13.7 @ 101, ran 0-60 in 5.0 seconds flat.

Im not ******* the 350Z, I used to hate it, now I like it alot. I think the cars exterior is going to be a classic like the Rx-7.

the RX7 is a 13 second car, the 350Z is a 14 second car, its that simple. Also, once you mod either car, the Z has 0 chance.

Later.
seems like you see a HIGH 13 sec time for a RX and a LOW or even 14 time for a Z and say "the Z is a 14 sec car and a RX is a 13 sec" (hinting that there is a HUGE difference, since 1 sec is HUGE), maybe you never took a science class in college or something, but you NEED to use MORE Significant Digits (figures), 13.7 (RX7) is pretty close to a 14.1 (8/02-C&D), 14.2 (4/03-automobile), 13.9@102.3mph (9/02 MT, or 14.0@101.9 1/03 MT) or a 5.4 0-60 times or the 5.5 0-62 times (which ends up being about a 5.32 0-60) that CAR mag (UK) got.

we have already seem a few 13.6 and 13.7 times from members here (remember, the RX has waaaaaaay more time, breakin, and races on the Z, so we will see better times in the future, OBVIOUSLY you are taking the BEST times ever posted on that website (assuming they are accurate?)

btw, Like I said before, I love the RX, I think it is a CLASSIC and an awesome car, no way would I dis-respect one, or EVEN say that my car is faster, it just seems that that respect (from you) doesn't go both ways??
Old 05-01-2003, 09:34 AM
zerobanger

Originally posted by rodH
seems like you see a HIGH 13 sec time for a RX and a LOW or even 14 time for a Z and say "the Z is a 14 sec car and a RX is a 13 sec" (hinting that there is a HUGE difference, since 1 sec is HUGE), maybe you never took a science class in college or something, but you NEED to use MORE Significant Digits (figures), 13.7 (RX7) is pretty close to a 14.1 (8/02-C&D), 14.2 (4/03-automobile), 13.9@102.3mph (9/02 MT, or 14.0@101.9 1/03 MT) or a 5.4 0-60 times or the 5.5 0-62 times (which ends up being about a 5.32 0-60) that CAR mag (UK) got.

we have already seem a few 13.6 and 13.7 times from members here (remember, the RX has waaaaaaay more time, breakin, and races on the Z, so we will see better times in the future, OBVIOUSLY you are taking the BEST times ever posted on that website (assuming they are accurate?)

btw, Like I said before, I love the RX, I think it is a CLASSIC and an awesome car, no way would I dis-respect one, or EVEN say that my car is faster, it just seems that that respect (from you) doesn't go both ways??

a 13.7 Vs a 14.2 is 6 car lenths, in terms of drag-racing that is a HUGE difference.

That time I posted is from MOTOR TREND, its a scanned copy of the actual article, so yes its accurate. If you want to see a 13.5, goto supercars.net. I didn't put that there cause I cant find the article that they took it from.

Its not that I dont respect the Z. I got pissed off at that guy earlier that I replied to. He really bashed the 7 saying the Z is so much faster, yadda yadda yadda. In real terms, the 350Z is slighly slower than the 300z which is slighly slower than the 7.

Its just the way things are. I'm not thrilled with the fact that the supra is slightly faster than an rx7, but its the bottom line. Lose 450 lbs from the car and you will have a screamer.

also, I didn't bother posting what our members have got, cause its not really fair. But since you did...

one of our members has proof to back up a 13.3 time slip, completely bone stock from the dragstrip in 1993, fully documented everything. I cant count the number of 13.5 and 13.6's out there.

Who cares, this is just a pissing contest. I DO LIKE the 350Z, there is one at work and its cool as hell. I would put the 350Z as the 2nd or 3rd best looking car from Japan.

David

Last edited by zerobanger; 05-01-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:15 AM
rodH

a 13.7 Vs a 14.2 is 6 car lenths, in terms of drag-racing that is a HUGE difference.

That time I posted is from MOTOR TREND, its a scanned copy of the actual article, so yes its accurate. If you want to see a 13.5, goto supercars.net. I didn't put that there cause I cant find the article that they took it from.

Its not that I dont respect the Z. I got pissed off at that guy earlier that I replied to. He really bashed the 7 saying the Z is so much faster, yadda yadda yadda. In real terms, the 350Z is slighly slower than the 300z which is slighly slower than the 7.

Its just the way things are. I'm not thrilled with the fact that the supra is slightly faster than an rx7, but its the bottom line. Lose 450 lbs from the car and you will have a screamer.

also, I didn't bother posting what our members have got, cause its not really fair. But since you did...

one of our members has proof to back up a 13.3 time slip, completely bone stock from the dragstrip in 1993, fully documented everything. I cant count the number of 13.5 and 13.6's out there.

Who cares, this is just a pissing contest. I DO LIKE the 350Z, there is one at work and its cool as hell. I would put the 350Z as the 2nd or 3rd best looking car from Japan.

David
oh, I guess I missed the part about someone saying the Z was so much faster than the 7, now I know why you are pissed, that is lame.

True the Supra is faster than the RX7/300ZXtt, but I like the fact that the 7 is sooooo light (although some say that they rattle to much and that is how they kept it so light, etc...) I like light cars, I am glad the Z isn;t as heavy as the 300ZX/supras out there, I like the feel of the size of car the Z, 911, and RX7 are, NOT the bigger cars, JUst preference I guess.

as far as looks go, I agree, they both look good, I think the order goes 1)NSX, 2)350Z, 3)RX7, and the G35Coupe/supra/300ZXtt/Skyline are just behind those --JUST my opinion though
Old 05-01-2003, 10:27 AM
zerobanger

oh, I guess I missed the part about someone saying the Z was so much faster than the 7, now I know why you are pissed, that is lame.

True the Supra is faster than the RX7/300ZXtt, but I like the fact that the 7 is sooooo light (although some say that they rattle to much and that is how they kept it so light, etc...) I like light cars, I am glad the Z isn;t as heavy as the 300ZX/supras out there, I like the feel of the size of car the Z, 911, and RX7 are, NOT the bigger cars, JUst preference I guess.

as far as looks go, I agree, they both look good, I think the order goes 1)NSX, 2)350Z, 3)RX7, and the G35Coupe/supra/300ZXtt/Skyline are just behind those --JUST my opinion though

I know I got a little pissy earlier. My opinion on the best looking Japanese cars are the following

1) 93+ RX-7 (has no physical flaws, imho)
2) S2000 (hate the digital dash)
3) 350Z-hated it at first, but its REALLY growing on me.
4) 300ZX (not fond of interior)
5) NSX (hate the big ***)
I'm not including the Rx-8 till I see it in person. Although the interior of the Rx8 is one of the best I have seen of any car in a long time.

As far as ratteling, nothing rattles in my car. I think the fit and finish of the rx7 was great (IMHO). The problem more resides in how easy things inside the car can break. All the panels are held together with plastic hinges, etc. The gas tank door is a good example (I broke mine).

I should point out my roommate has a new G35 4 door and everything in his car rattles.

Another thing I like about the Z is the door handles. I think the Rx-7 has the most unique door handles of just about anything I can think of and I think its a big part of the character to the car. The Z's are really cool too.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Zmoney

Sure, the cars are close enough that the neither driver can afford error
Exactly

Dont get me wrong the 7 is a badazz machine. I just think a more common time for a 7 is 13.7/.8 which isnt too far off from the Z. I cant imagine a Z getting beat by 6 car lengths but there are exceptions to everything.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:13 AM
bluetouring350

David
Whoa hold up. Get your facts straight first before you start ragging on the new z. It is about 2/10 of a second faster than the 300zx tt. I dont have the numbers sitting in front of me but if you want to contest this I can find them. So if the Rx-7 is slightly faster than the 300zx, and the 350 is slightly faster than the 300 then we've got a pretty good chance of beating a 7, right. Now I love Rx-7's I was gonna buy one but I got the Z instead. But dont just assume that the fastest possible time you've seen is the standard. Not all stock 7's run a 13.5. While not all stock Z's run a 14.1. I've seen stock Z's run 13.9 in the 1/4. SO if you look at the numbers it really is pretty close since the 7's probably ran closer to a 13.7 on average. I think that what someone should do is actually go out and race a 7 rather than sitting here arguing over which one should win.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:55 AM
rodH

Originally posted by bluetouring350
Whoa hold up. Get your facts straight first before you start ragging on the new z. It is about 2/10 of a second faster than the 300zx tt. I dont have the numbers sitting in front of me but if you want to contest this I can find them. So if the Rx-7 is slightly faster than the 300zx, and the 350 is slightly faster than the 300 then we've got a pretty good chance of beating a 7, right. Now I love Rx-7's I was gonna buy one but I got the Z instead. But dont just assume that the fastest possible time you've seen is the standard. Not all stock 7's run a 13.5. While not all stock Z's run a 14.1. I've seen stock Z's run 13.9 in the 1/4. SO if you look at the numbers it really is pretty close since the 7's probably ran closer to a 13.7 on average. I think that what someone should do is actually go out and race a 7 rather than sitting here arguing over which one should win.
good luck finding a stock one
Old 05-01-2003, 12:05 PM
zerobanger

Originally posted by bluetouring350
Um, the -7- is faster. Period. I'm not saying you cant out drive someone with an rx7. thats possibile. equal drivers, the 7 wins.

Later~!!

OH YEA....you guys would beat an Automatic Rx7 pretty bad.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:07 PM
zerobanger

Originally posted by Zmoney
Exactly

Dont get me wrong the 7 is a badazz machine. I just think a more common time for a 7 is 13.7/.8 which isnt too far off from the Z. I cant imagine a Z getting beat by 6 car lengths but there are exceptions to everything.

I agree 100 pct that 13.7/8 is a more common time. At its absolute best 13.5 is obtainable, the average person will not run that in an rx7, I also believe the average person will not get into the 13's with a Z. it seems 14.0-14.3 or so is average.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:23 AM
seanrulz

Well....for the straight line acceleration, I think Z and 7 are pretty much even, but in the cornering, 7 would definitely outhandle Z if driven properly. Structure of Rotary engine enables the engine mounted way lower and further back in, creating a lower center of gravity, meaning better cornering. Weight is also another advantage that 7 has. But 7 is so tougher to control at its limit (Z is generally a lot easier to explore its limit and push it with quite confidence due to its understeer setting, but 7 isn't). But once properly manuevered, 7 is one of the best cornering machine out there. (I haven't driven 7 and not even capable of even pushing Z to its limit. I'm just referring some of the quotes from Drivers in Best Motoring, lots of other car magazines. Yes, I'm a magazine racer but facts are facts) Little out of topic here, but late model JDM RX-7 makes 280hp and can outrun Z in straightline. (But not big margin tho) They have 180km/h (113mph) speed limit (which JDM Z33 also has) so in a drag strip, 7 would win. But not sure about highway battle. (Talking about dead stock vs. stock here)
Old 05-03-2003, 06:23 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

I owned a 93 rx-7 from new and drove it for 4 years. ran it regularly at the drag strip and never modded, kept it stock the whole time. my best time was 13.981@101.1 mph. The z has recorded this as well.

Id say they are very close, and is a drivers race. on the track yes it will be the rx-7. on the highway, hmm dont know.

I would say that 4th gear was too tall on the rx-7. and allot of mustangs and camaros who had the torque would take me after 100mph+. the z has excellent gearing and i would say it would take an arx-7 at 100mph+. it has the gearing and the torque.

All in all, both are excellent cars. I love em both and will always keep a dear place for the rx-7 in my heart. the z is a brute, more on the muscel side, the rx-7 was like fine wine, that can turn deadly in a split second.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:53 AM
zerobanger

Originally posted by IraceForGirls
Well Barnicle Boy, every race is obviously a driver's race. So compared to your time, driver to driver, there has been a 13.88 stock run of a Z. So in this situation, the Z beat your 7. Different situations, different times.
equal drivers, equal traction the 7 wins.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:12 AM
rodH

equal drivers, equal traction the 7 wins.
if everything is totally equal, I think the 7 would bearly nose out the Z. But it is NEVER that equal.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:20 AM
zerobanger

if everything is totally equal, I think the 7 would bearly nose out the Z. But it is NEVER that equal.
Dude, just about every test that every magazine has done on a US 5 speed model 93+ Rx7 have got a 13.5 to a 13.9, with a 13.7 being typical.

I have seen 14.2-14.4 on the Z.

It would be more than just barely nosing out. Thats not to say that someone cant get a 13.99 or a 14.0 on the Z but thats not typical.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:55 AM
rodH

Dude, just about every test that every magazine has done on a US 5 speed model 93+ Rx7 have got a 13.5 to a 13.9, with a 13.7 being typical.

I have seen 14.2-14.4 on the Z.

It would be more than just barely nosing out. Thats not to say that someone cant get a 13.99 or a 14.0 on the Z but thats not typical.
again, you are taking the absolute SLOWEST times on the Z, why?????
Old 05-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Caswell

I see you guys now have the pleasure of talking to ZB, a longtime LS1.com troll. Prepare to be educated in how magical the "7" is.

ZB, have you broken into the 12's yet in your 12-second car?
Old 05-03-2003, 02:39 PM
CottonWoodz

That time I posted is from MOTOR TREND
Motor Trend 350Z Touring, 9/02 issue...
0/60 5.5
1/4 13.9@102.3

Motor Trend 93' RX-7, 8/93 issue..
0/60 5.3
1/4 13.9
94' RX-7 Touring
0-60 6.0
1/4 14.5

Anyways, I love MAG raceing...

Last edited by CottonWoodz; 05-03-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:52 PM
zerobanger

again, you are taking the absolute SLOWEST times on the Z, why?????
Im quoting the times I saw from a Magazine. If you know of a mid 13 second run that a mag got from a Z let me know. If you wanna start quoting forum memebers, I can count the of rx7 owners that got 13.5, we even have a very highly respect 7 owner that got a 13.3 from his bone stock down to the tire pressure.

So once again, Magazine times are altleast published times that I can say are reliable.

Later.

Quick Reply: Toyota Vs. Nissan