Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Curious new 250hp Audi TT info/article?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 09:34 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious new 250hp Audi TT info/article?

in the latest MT, they got an article on the new TT (cool car, and nicer front grill then before), and they talk about how this car is supposed to be Audis statement about performance cars, BUT they only have 250hp and that other cars in the class, RX8 and 350Z, "settled" on the same "level".

Excuse me?!?! since when is 287 and 250 the same thing??

actually 287hp is CLOSER to the hp in a Porsche 911, and NOT the TT (250/287/320.....difference 37>33), and if we look back, the 911 had 296 HP for a LONG time (up until last year). sorry to break it to MT, but the Z is closer in HP with the 911and NSX than the TT, they should have said "rx8 and s2000" (not that that is a rip, but just going on HP, it is true), what a STUPID statement.

btw, I like the TT, so I am not ripping them, rather MT is by acting like they are stooping to the Zs level, when in fact it is still 37 hp away (which, is a fair amount).
Old 05-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have some mixed thoughts on this. First, if it had about 50 more HP, I'd probably trade my Z in. If it had 100 more HP, I would sell my soul and my Z to get one. Reasons being:

1. ) I love Audis. My first car was an Audi, and they are fantastic cars.

2.) for 2004 you can get it in yellow *drool*

3.) it is a beautiful car, with probably the best inerior for a sports car I have ever seen (my own personal thoughts here). The dash and instruments are something I lust for, absolutely brilliant. I like the bigger lip spoiler on the rear for the 2004 3.2 litre model.

4.) DSG. Whoa. Have you read about this? This new transmission is unreal. It uses dual clutches so the current and next gear are both engaged simultaneously so shifts are seamless and power is constantly being applied! Shifts take place in .1 to .2 seconds and it has launch control even! It's an amazing car.

I have to agree, wish they would turbo that 3.2 litre motor or put the S4 V8 in the TT.

In Audi's further defense, they had made a comment about wanting to be the number one sporting car company in the world, or something like that. The S4 blows the doors off an M3 and matches AMGs and beats in most categories offerrings. The RS6 crushes the M5 and AMG offerring, can you say 4.3 0-60 and a 12.5 quarter mile from a full size sedan?

I love this car, just wish it had more power.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:40 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Rob Nance
Well, I have some mixed thoughts on this. First, if it had about 50 more HP, I'd probably trade my Z in. If it had 100 more HP, I would sell my soul and my Z to get one. Reasons being:

1. ) I love Audis. My first car was an Audi, and they are fantastic cars.

2.) for 2004 you can get it in yellow *drool*

3.) it is a beautiful car, with probably the best inerior for a sports car I have ever seen (my own personal thoughts here). The dash and instruments are something I lust for, absolutely brilliant. I like the bigger lip spoiler on the rear for the 2004 3.2 litre model.

4.) DSG. Whoa. Have you read about this? This new transmission is unreal. It uses dual clutches so the current and next gear are both engaged simultaneously so shifts are seamless and power is constantly being applied! Shifts take place in .1 to .2 seconds and it has launch control even! It's an amazing car.

I have to agree, wish they would turbo that 3.2 litre motor or put the S4 V8 in the TT.

In Audi's further defense, they had made a comment about wanting to be the number one sporting car company in the world, or something like that. The S4 blows the doors off an M3 and matches AMGs and beats in most categories offerrings. The RS6 crushes the M5 and AMG offerring, can you say 4.3 0-60 and a 12.5 quarter mile from a full size sedan?

I love this car, just wish it had more power.
agree 100%, I love the look of the new TT (it was a welcome change, something about it makes it look more like a REAL and meaner sports car), just glad It doesn't beat the Z

the DSG sounds cool. BUT I love a true manual, and it is NOT avail, so no thanx. The DSG has to add cost, troubles, weight and complexity. great idea for an OPTION, but not STANDARD.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Rob Nance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rodH
agree 100%, I love the look of the new TT (it was a welcome change, something about it makes it look more like a REAL and meaner sports car), just glad It doesn't beat the Z

the DSG sounds cool. BUT I love a true manual, and it is NOT avail, so no thanx. The DSG has to add cost, troubles, weight and complexity. great idea for an OPTION, but not STANDARD.
I am a manual guy also, but I am also a performance guy. A few years ago I would never say this, but I could see myself getting a car with one of these high end F1 style transmissions. .1 to .2 second shifts, launch control, seamless shifts. I would find it hard to believe a manual is faster than this setup, we aren't even talking about how this would blow it away as far as consistency. I shift fast, and launch well, but this thing is pretty awesome. Then to have the ability to kick into automatic mode and pay your girl some more attention, even better, or when stuck in traffic.

All that said, I am almost positive the manual is still offerred in 2004, along with the regular automatic, and then the DSG only available on the top 3.2 litre model. Maybe the top model is auto or DSG only? not sure about that, would be surprising. Can't find 2004 build specs on Audi's website or KBB.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:05 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Rob Nance
I am a manual guy also, but I am also a performance guy. A few years ago I would never say this, but I could see myself getting a car with one of these high end F1 style transmissions. .1 to .2 second shifts, launch control, seamless shifts. I would find it hard to believe a manual is faster than this setup, we aren't even talking about how this would blow it away as far as consistency. I shift fast, and launch well, but this thing is pretty awesome. Then to have the ability to kick into automatic mode and pay your girl some more attention, even better, or when stuck in traffic.

All that said, I am almost positive the manual is still offerred in 2004, along with the regular automatic, and then the DSG only available on the top 3.2 litre model. Maybe the top model is auto or DSG only? not sure about that, would be surprising. Can't find 2004 build specs on Audi's website or KBB.
DSG is the ONLY tranny avail on the 3.2 TT