Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Those who track their 350z...lap times?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:06 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Those who track their 350z...lap times?

Out of curiosity, can any of you guys that track your 350z post lap times if you have them? Along with times, mods to the car? I'm primarily interested in times for tracks on the east coast, but any of them would be interesting.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:26 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the only track I have experience at is Sebring and the best times for 3 of us novices were 2:47, 2:56 and 2:59 as a comparison there was an experienced S2000 driver with R compound tires running 2:38.

This past weekend I went again and my instructor had a Track model and he ran 2:40 with stock tires, only upgrade was front Stoptech brakes, which made me smile as I was having regrets about not buying the Track model after buying a set of Rays and looking to upgrade the brakes. This car has a lot of potential.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:06 PM
droideka

Originally posted by westpak
This past weekend I went again and my instructor had a Track model and he ran 2:40 with stock tires, only upgrade was front Stoptech brakes, which made me smile as I was having regrets about not buying the Track model after buying a set of Rays and looking to upgrade the brakes. This car has a lot of potential.
Gus,

Do you know what pad combos he was running front and rear?
Old 05-13-2003, 11:18 PM
D'oh

These are the results from the first of my two track days at Laguna Seca (when I got my best time). Raceboy was there and beat me, but not by too much.

raceboy = 1:56.024
me = 1:56.992

Full results:

http://www.speedventures.net/event_results_db.asp?

-D'oh!
Old 05-14-2003, 05:13 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by droideka
Gus,

I want to say Performance Friction but not sure, I will drop him an email and ask him.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Audito350Z

Here's my info from Texas World Speedway, a 2.9 mile road course with 15 turns a some elevation changes:

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/

Best lap: 2:06.44
Avg lap: 2:08

At the time, all I had was Carbotech Panther Plus pads in the front and Carbotech Panther pads in the back. I have a Track model.... so Brembos.

Also, I was still on the stock RE040 tires.

Race-prepped cars on racing slicks will do a lap at 1:55 - 2:00.
A stock ZO6 is good for 2:00 - 2:05
A Viper in the right hands is good for 1:58 - 2:02

PeteH
Old 05-15-2003, 06:06 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by droideka
Gus,

Ok there were Performance Friction 01 compounds in front (Stoptech), and his own (N-Tech Engineering) Competition compound in the rear(brembo)

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2003, 01:35 PM
GaryK

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Its interesting to see how the z compares to others on the track...especially since I probably won't track mine. I said when I bought it that it was only to be a daily driver, but I'm finding it hard to resist the urge to take it to the track and see what it can do!
Old 05-15-2003, 04:05 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by GaryK
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Its interesting to see how the z compares to others on the track...especially since I probably won't track mine. I said when I bought it that it was only to be a daily driver, but I'm finding it hard to resist the urge to take it to the track and see what it can do!
Well it is like crack, once you try it you will be hooked and wont be able to stop, you will experience the down on Monday and start to think about your next fix, so be careful
Old 05-15-2003, 04:14 PM
GaryK

Originally posted by westpak
Well it is like crack, once you try it you will be hooked and wont be able to stop, you will experience the down on Monday and start to think about your next fix, so be careful
I know where you're coming from. I raced wheel to wheel in '01 and '02, but I'm kinda taking this year off to see how some things work out. We're not too far into the season, and I'm already having withdrawal symptoms from hitting that go-fast crack pipe.

I started off just autocrossing, then I hit the track. Once you hit the track, you'll never go back...

Well, except for the autocrosses that are almost literally in my back yard. There's one this weekend, primary car will be the vette but I'm planning to make a few runs with the z too.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Jason Bourne

I hit a 1:31.3 at Summit Point last weekend with my stock (except for StopTech 13" kit) enthusiast Z. The crappy street tires held me back but this seems like a good time for the first event of the season in a brand new car. For reference, I had managed a 1:34.4 in my previous car (1999 BMW 323i with some suspension work and R-compounds). I think with R-compounds on this car I would be in the 1:28-1:29 range on this track - by mid-season I'll probably shave off another second or two (need to learn the car and get back into the driving mindset).

I'm going to Watkins Glen tonight for a 2 day weekend and I'll report on times there. This time I'll be on Kumho Ecsta MX tires - not Rs, but they should be noticeably better than the RE040s.

Jason
Old 05-16-2003, 12:02 PM
GaryK

Thumbs up

Not bad at all Jason. Since the z is classed in T2 in SCCA, I would expect it to hit somewhere in the high 1:26 range when prepared to the extent of the rules for the class. It sounds like you should be close to that with r compound tires and some more seat time!

Gary
Old 05-19-2003, 06:51 PM
commasense

So far, all of my track time in the Z has been on days that were cold, wet, or both.

At the NASA event at Mid-Ohio in early April, my best timed lap was 1:52.47 on a dry track (the 2.25-mile pro course, without the chicane). The temp was about 35 degrees. But the only times captured were when one of my my350Z.com buddies was riding with me and operated the stopwatch (a Robic with 200-lap memory), only two sessions out of the 11 or so we ran that weekend.

My best time at Summit Point was 1:36.33 at the March 7 FATT. The track was dry, but the temperature was about 35. I was on the stock tires and had just installed Ferodo DS 2500 pads.

This is at least a second faster than I ever did in six track days in my 1986 944 Turbo, many of them in much better conditions.

So Jason, I'm impressed with your 1:31. What event were you running, what were the conditions, and how did you time yourself?

I hope I'll be able to report some better times after this Friday's FATT.