Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

don't turn away an SS given the chance

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 11:55 AM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default don't turn away an SS given the chance

Guys, I have never wanted to race a late SS, since I hear (and beleived) all the stuff on this board.

Well, I played with one today, Black SS (latest version) stick with LOAD as hell Exhaust/headers (it even "popped" giving the Pop pop pop sound when slowing). I was affraid to play at first then went ahead with it. The redults where much better than I thought they would be (the thing was freaking LOAD!!!!).

I won't post all the details of the race here, since it will just turn into a "BS" session, but I now believe this thing is faster than I thought it was.

I wouldn't run around and act like an *** to every SS owner out there trying to run him, BUT given the chance, I wouldn't turn it down either.

the race only went from a stop to about 80 MPH. (so maybe it is from 80 and UP that the SS is supposed to KILL the Z, I don't know).

could have just been the driver though to.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Caswell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see no reason not to believe a 350Z vs. a relatively stock LS1 kill. It looks like plenty of you guys are running high 13's and it's not like you can stick a monkey in an stock/lightly modded LS1 f-body and get the low 13's they're capable of.

As for the exhaust, I wouldn't assume the car had headers. I've got a relatively quiet catback on my car and it's still very loud compared to just about any street car out there. My car also "pops" on decel, especially when it's warming up. LS1 cars with full exhuast are ungodly loud - we're tallking rattle the fillings out of your teeth loud.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:03 PM
rodH

Originally posted by Caswell
I see no reason not to believe a 350Z vs. a relatively stock LS1 kill. It looks like plenty of you guys are running high 13's and it's not like you can stick a monkey in an stock/lightly modded LS1 f-body and get the low 13's they're capable of.

As for the exhaust, I wouldn't assume the car had headers. I've got a relatively quiet catback on my car and it's still very loud compared to just about any street car out there. My car also "pops" on decel, especially when it's warming up. LS1 cars with full exhuast are ungodly loud - we're tallking rattle the fillings out of your teeth loud.
could be, this was the 3rd loadest American car I have heard latetly (next to crazy SCd Vette and SCd Mustang). It was very load, But could have been just exhaust it sounded good (american good) and healthy to say the least.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Maximam

My Z28 would pull the best in 3rd and 4th gears. 1st and 2nd gears were all wheel spin. My maxima could keep up with the Z28 till 50ish and that was the slow one. So unless the LS1 has sticky tires on it, a race from 0-60 is very close. I will have to say a 70 mph punch with a 6 speed LS1 would require big hp to match.

Last edited by Maximam; 06-17-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:57 PM
camaro_ss01

just curious, been kind of hard to follow the post. But what do you mean when you say "load". You refer to it quite a few times, and I don't know what you are talking about. Also did you beat the SS?? and by how much?? You didn't mention the outcome at all.

Just curious
Old 06-17-2003, 03:04 PM
CrazyBosnian

I ran a 12.4 at 113 back when i only had headers/exhaust and intake, so either he was spinning, didnt know how to drive or something like that, cause i havent heard of any Zs running 12s lately (N/A at least), but anyways a kill is a kill, so good kill...
Old 06-17-2003, 03:38 PM
rodH

Originally posted by camaro_ss01
just curious, been kind of hard to follow the post. But what do you mean when you say "load". You refer to it quite a few times, and I don't know what you are talking about. Also did you beat the SS?? and by how much?? You didn't mention the outcome at all.

Just curious
oops, loud is what I meant.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:40 PM
camaro_ss01

well now that puts everything into perspective. Still curious as to the outcome of the race. Where you ahead, him?by how much??

you can IM me the results if you don't want to step on any toes in the forum
Old 06-17-2003, 11:14 PM
JamRWS6

I don't want to step on anyones toes but LT1 cars pop VERY badly on deceleration while still in gear (every LT1 including stock LT1s pop badly)...my LS1 doesn't pop at all on deceleration

ANyhow not sure what happened with your run....maybe a few more details.
If you won good kill....if not nice death.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:26 AM
rodH

Originally posted by JamRWS6
I don't want to step on anyones toes but LT1 cars pop VERY badly on deceleration while still in gear (every LT1 including stock LT1s pop badly)...my LS1 doesn't pop at all on deceleration

ANyhow not sure what happened with your run....maybe a few more details.
If you won good kill....if not nice death.
is there a visual way to tell the difference in the ls vs lt???
Old 06-18-2003, 06:38 AM
camaro_ss01

the headlights and tail lights are different.

the headlights are the most noticable difference, on the older LT1 models the headlights are square and recessed in the bumper. On the LS1 models the headlights are an oval type shape and sit basically flush the the front end.

The tail lights are slightly different as well. I could be wrong because maybe 97's tail lights are different. But the LT1's taillights have this pattern:

redred white
redredredred

while the LS1 models look like this

redred white
redred yellow

I hope you can understand that, but I do believe one year of the LT1 they changed the tailights

also I think the LT1 cars' side mirrors are not color matched to the car, they are black. Not 100% sure on this one though.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2003, 06:57 AM
rodH

the headlights and tail lights are different.

the headlights are the most noticable difference, on the older LT1 models the headlights are square and recessed in the bumper. On the LS1 models the headlights are an oval type shape and sit basically flush the the front end.

The tail lights are slightly different as well. I could be wrong because maybe 97's tail lights are different. But the LT1's taillights have this pattern:

redred white
redredredred

while the LS1 models look like this

redred white
redred yellow

I hope you can understand that, but I do believe one year of the LT1 they changed the tailights

also I think the LT1 cars' side mirrors are not color matched to the car, they are black. Not 100% sure on this one though.

Thanks
no, it was the latest version, most notable differences, it had the new front and rear lights as well as rear spoiler the rear lip slightly turned up (not the add on piece that looks cheap).

it was NOT stock, but maybe the exhaust was more for sound/show and NOT go??
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 AM
camaro_ss01

All catbacks should give about the same amount of power, within a couple of horses. The biggest difference would probably be the weight of the catback. My dual/dual exhaust is easily twice as heavy if not even heavier than my loudmouth on there now. If it had headers, then you would see a bigger difference in the output of the exhaust performance.

I have SLP longtube headers on, and from my personal experience with my car and other cars with basically the same mods. I have come to the conclusion that these headers suck! I hope to get a new set soon and quick up quite a bit more power.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:47 AM
JamRWS6

97 Camaros used the newer tailight design and also had the "lip" on the spoiler. The "tacked on piece" you describe isn't available on SS but only on V6 and Z28 as an "appearance option".
Old 06-18-2003, 08:51 AM
camaro_ss01

I was almost sure the 97 went to the new tail lights but wasn't 100%. Thanks for clearing it up for me. And the SS spoiler should be raised up in the center and doesn't go down the sides of the car at all.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:20 AM
rodH

Originally posted by JamRWS6
97 Camaros used the newer tailight design and also had the "lip" on the spoiler. The "tacked on piece" you describe isn't available on SS but only on V6 and Z28 as an "appearance option".
thats what made me think it was a legit SS and not just stickers out on the car
Old 06-18-2003, 11:22 AM
rodH

I was almost sure the 97 went to the new tail lights but wasn't 100%. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
I guess it could have been a 97, frankly I don't think it was that old, teh thing was immaculate. The MOTS well taken care of (it was black) SS I have every seen.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Cobra94

Im guessin it was a 97 or under.

I just raced a 01/02 SS and I think he had a sh*tload of mods, it was loud and he had a bunch of different tacks on his left pillar.

We went from a roll at about 40mph in 2nd, he took me by about 1 1/2 car, although i was starting to pull in 4th.

We went from a dig and I instantly got a 1/2 car in 1st and we were even in 2nd, then i missed 3rd, but im sure he would have had me by about 2 cars before 5th,

the sick thing was his car damn near looked like it was about to lift off the ground every time he would shift, including 3rd into 4th, havnt seen that yet with the cars ive already raced

I pulled next to him at the next stop light, he was some young kid, i was on the rich side of town, so im guessin mommy bought it.

He said it was stock, i was like yeah riiiiiiiiiight.

94 Cobra
H/C/I
4.10's
mac headers
bassani x-pipe
chip
BBk suspension kit
Nitto's
2in drop

damn it and i still lost
Old 06-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Mr Payne

So is the consensus LT1 vs. 350z?
Old 06-18-2003, 05:48 PM
CrazyBosnian

Originally posted by Cobra94
Im guessin it was a 97 or under.

I just raced a 01/02 SS and I think he had a sh*tload of mods, it was loud and he had a bunch of different tacks on his left pillar.

We went from a roll at about 40mph in 2nd, he took me by about 1 1/2 car, although i was starting to pull in 4th.

We went from a dig and I instantly got a 1/2 car in 1st and we were even in 2nd, then i missed 3rd, but im sure he would have had me by about 2 cars before 5th,

the sick thing was his car damn near looked like it was about to lift off the ground every time he would shift, including 3rd into 4th, havnt seen that yet with the cars ive already raced

I pulled next to him at the next stop light, he was some young kid, i was on the rich side of town, so im guessin mommy bought it.

He said it was stock, i was like yeah riiiiiiiiiight.

94 Cobra
H/C/I
4.10's
mac headers
bassani x-pipe
chip
BBk suspension kit
Nitto's
2in drop

damn it and i still lost
Should have bought an F-body j/k...What does your Cobra put out with H-C-I?

Quick Reply: don't turn away an SS given the chance