Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z vs. 3000 GT VR4

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:33 AM
codya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the funniest part is all you guys sit here and flame him and and try and prove that he is wrong saying that there is no way he can beat a vr4, don't you people realize he has the video right there and it proves it right there. so how about stop flaming and just say wow the z is faster than you thought of the vr4 is slower than you thought. he won and proved it, end of story...
Old 06-19-2003, 09:33 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by WashUJon
I bet he shifted early. I've owned both cars and I sincerely believe that a stock VR-4 in good shape and with a good driver will still be ahead of a Z even above 100 mph. That's coming from personal experience with both cars...

Is this from personal experience running these cars together, or just owning both and different times and having perceptions about how quick one is vs. the other?

The reason I ask is because when I got my Z, I thought my maxima was just about as quick based on what my butt felt. Then my friend and I ran the max against the Z...and the Z absolutely destroyed it. I was VERY suprised.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:19 PM
newmexicoZ33

question for all of the people saying the VR4 would still pull on the Z at top end; if you guys are saying a stock VR4 should be somewhere in the high 13s, which is where you can find a stock 350Z (his has a few mods), and you are all saying (and everyone agrees on this) that from a stop the VR4 will have the advantage (someone even said 5sec flat), then how do you figure the VR4 would still keep pulling on the Z? If that was the case, then that would be a low 13 sec car. It makes perfect sense that from a roll, the Z would have to gain a lot of ground to make up a 1/2 sec 0 to 60 foot time. Also, as someone stated, the VR4 stock turbos are not the biggest turbos by any means, and so are limited (to a point of course) at top end. Now, the VR4 is definately easier to make faster, but this is a basically stock VR4.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by Marc's R/T
Even with a great driver, the only cars I know that can pull on a stock VR4 from a roll like that is a Camaro SS, WS6 or a Supra TT. I doubt that your car even with the little mods you have can run with those cars. I may be wrong but the 350Z I drove was nowhere as fast as the VR4 I used to have. What was the run from anyway? 40-100, etc?

ur a fawking dumbfcuk
u seriously dont know wat the heck ur talking about.
i have raced a 1st gen vr4 with some lil mods.
i always win. It is NOT a drivers race.
they can be really fast from a stop, but a roll..haha
so plz if u never raced a Z in ur vr4, dont talk trash.
seriously...some of u guys are gay mag racers.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Marc's R/T

Originally posted by Zmeflyby
ur a fawking dumbfcuk
u seriously dont know wat the heck ur talking about.
i have raced a 1st gen vr4 with some lil mods.
i always win. It is NOT a drivers race.
they can be really fast from a stop, but a roll..haha
so plz if u never raced a Z in ur vr4, dont talk trash.
seriously...some of u guys are gay mag racers.
WOW! I guess you told me. You're not worth a serious response nor would you understand it.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:02 PM
Marc's R/T

Originally posted by newmexicoZ33
question for all of the people saying the VR4 would still pull on the Z at top end; if you guys are saying a stock VR4 should be somewhere in the high 13s, which is where you can find a stock 350Z (his has a few mods), and you are all saying (and everyone agrees on this) that from a stop the VR4 will have the advantage (someone even said 5sec flat), then how do you figure the VR4 would still keep pulling on the Z? If that was the case, then that would be a low 13 sec car. It makes perfect sense that from a roll, the Z would have to gain a lot of ground to make up a 1/2 sec 0 to 60 foot time. Also, as someone stated, the VR4 stock turbos are not the biggest turbos by any means, and so are limited (to a point of course) at top end. Now, the VR4 is definately easier to make faster, but this is a basically stock VR4.
It's not hard to take a VR4 from a roll as I have been toasted by many sportscars when I had one but my remark is I don't think a stock Z is as quick as my VR4 is/was. Unfortunately, I no longer have the VR4 so I will never know but I test drove the Z HARD and it was a DOG. Now it could be that I had a bad example or I had a freaky fast VR4 but that's been MY experience. I'm not questioning the kill, it's just hard to understand having driven both. I will say this, a simple $9 mod(bleeder valve) to the VR4 will change that outcome.

Last edited by Marc's R/T; 06-19-2003 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Enron Exec

That VR-4 weights 3737 lbs!!!

Thats like 600 lbs more then the 350Z. The 33 extra horses in the VR-4 is not enough to let it pull ahead.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Runn

Here is another little tidbit, since I owned a VR4 and was thinking about getting a Z. I wanted to see how it stacked up in other catagories, so I looked in one of my old magaines(I Know some of you may another mag race)1997 Car and Driver which featured the corvette, M3,Supra,Gt VR4. From a rolling 5mph-60 the Z runs 5.7 in 2002 CarandDriver which beats 2 of thoes cars and ties the 3rd. It beats the VR4 at 6.1 the M3 6.1 and ties the Supra Turbo at 5.7 . So if the guy in the Video has a modded Z and raced the VR4 from a roll the 3000 would be seeing tail lights pretty quickly.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:37 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by Enron Exec
That VR-4 weights 3737 lbs!!!

Thats like 600 lbs more then the 350Z. The 33 extra horses in the VR-4 is not enough to let it pull ahead.
Weight means about nothing from a roll like that....aerodynamics and HP.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:25 PM
DamianZ

Interesting video.
That 1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 might have the following specifications assuming it's not supercharged.

Engine Type: 3.0 Liter Twin Turbo Twin Intercooled V-6.
Horsepower: 320 @ 6000 RPM
Torque: 315 @ 2500 RPM
Weight/HP Ratio: 11.8
Horsepower/Liter: 106.7
Compression: 8.0 : 1
Transmission: 6-Speed Getrag
Drivetrain: Front-engine/Full time all-wheel drive (AWD)
Valve Train: DOHC 24-valve
Curb Weight: 3781 lbs.
0-60: 5.4 seconds I believe.
0-100 m.p.h. 13.6 seconds.
I think it's capable of around 700 hp with stage 1-4 kits.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:45 PM
JamRWS6

I really wish you guys would quit MAG racing and comparing 0-60 times....
0-60 is a function of traction and is going to vary from conditions and mostly driver.....if you are going to compare 0-60 use a calculator like below to take it from a 1/8 mile time and MPH

Try this calculator and see what you get:
0-60 Calculator

Using my best timeslip I get a 0-60 time of 4.08 seconds
1/8 -8.5570
MPH - 86.92

Those calculators are farely accurate....on the other side of my slip was a V6 mustang and the calculator shows 8.4 seconds so that is pretty close from MAG times.
and all this shows is how bad MAG drivers are....the best published 0-60 i've seen for a LS1 car is 5.0 or so...not very speedy at all.

I just hate seeing "oh that car does 0-60 in .... secs so i should smoke him".
Peace out.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:51 PM
newmexicoZ33

but I test drove the Z HARD and it was a DOG. Now it could be that I had a bad example or I had a freaky fast VR4 but that's been MY experience. .
...the thing about the 350Z (and I would imagine your G35 as well) is that it is very deceptive in its behaviour. Sure it is not the fastest thing on the road (no need for LS1 owners to remind us of that), but it is quite fast, yet the car is very "calm" in its output. It doesn't have as much dramatic "raw power" off the line like an american muscle car, and it doesn't have an instantaneous surge of speed, like a turbo car (your 3000gt for example), its just a smooth linear output. However, when you actually do race against vehicles is when you can see that the car really performs very well. The whole "seat of the pants" thing is very deceiving. So, if you are used to a "dramatic" burst of speed then I am sure the 350Z would "feel" slow, but it doesn't mean its actually slow.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Marc's R/T

...the thing about the 350Z (and I would imagine your G35 as well) is that it is very deceptive in its behaviour. Sure it is not the fastest thing on the road (no need for LS1 owners to remind us of that), but it is quite fast, yet the car is very "calm" in its output. It doesn't have as much dramatic "raw power" off the line like an american muscle car, and it doesn't have an instantaneous surge of speed, like a turbo car (your 3000gt for example), its just a smooth linear output. However, when you actually do race against vehicles is when you can see that the car really performs very well. The whole "seat of the pants" thing is very deceiving. So, if you are used to a "dramatic" burst of speed then I am sure the 350Z would "feel" slow, but it doesn't mean its actually slow.
It's funny you mention that the Z is calm in it's output because the VR4 is the same way. 0-60 is dramatic if you slip the clutch at 4K rpms. Because of it's weight and girth, it feels like a big car but performs like a sportscar. From the seat of your pants, you would think the car is slow but soon realize how fast it moves. You're right, my G coupe is the same way, deceptively quick.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:54 AM
WashUJon

It's not hard to take a VR4 from a roll as I have been toasted by many sportscars when I had one but my remark is I don't think a stock Z is as quick as my VR4 is/was. Unfortunately, I no longer have the VR4 so I will never know but I test drove the Z HARD and it was a DOG. Now it could be that I had a bad example or I had a freaky fast VR4 but that's been MY experience. I'm not questioning the kill, it's just hard to understand having driven both. I will say this, a simple $9 mod(bleeder valve) to the VR4 will change that outcome.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have personal experience owning both cars.

I never said the VR-4 would be pulling on the Z close to the end of the 1/4 or at 100 mph, or so, but it should be ahead...
Old 06-20-2003, 08:59 AM
WashUJon

There is no "dramatic burst of speed" with the VR-4s. The turbos spool up quickly pretty down low and peak torque comes at around 2500 rpms (stock) and STAYS there in a plateau until 5500 or so before it starts to drop off. The effect is kinda like cars with a CVT. The power feeling doesn't surge, really, or rise. Its very hard to describe. The boost effect in the VR-4 isn't dramatic like with a single turbo 4 banger...
Old 06-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by WashUJon
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have personal experience owning both cars.

I never said the VR-4 would be pulling on the Z close to the end of the 1/4 or at 100 mph, or so, but it should be ahead...
the vr4 loses speed at about 80 mph.
my friend has a modded one.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:20 AM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by Zmeflyby
the vr4 loses speed at about 80 mph.
my friend has a modded one.
My friend has a modded VR-4 as well and it does NOT lose speed at 80 mph.

That car pulls HAAAAARD through every gear and I've been with him to 160 and it was still pulling HAAAARD. He says he has been the upside of 180 in it and I don't doubt that one bit.

And the launch on that car is

At the track he ran 12.4 @ 114 with very bad traction problems and only a high 1.8 60.....
he has run only one car behind a Z28 on slicks on the streets that runs 11.1 @ 124 mph at the track.

Those cars can be made Siiiiiiiick for very little $$.

Not to mention the AWD, all wheel steering, and active aero is Verry cool.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:24 AM
haddixracing

Originally posted by JamRWS6

No they can't. They can be made moderately fast for very little money (IE: 12's in the 1/4) but after that it suddenly hits a plateau and becomes very expensive to go much faster. The majority of the HIGHLY modded versions of those cars are still stuck in the 11's. There are only a few in the 10's and those things have been out for 12 years now! BTW, I am speaking from experience as well. I had a 92 Stealth RT/TT up until last winter. And NO stock they are not very fast. My good friend Tom has a VR4 with only 60,000 miles on it. I raced him in my Probe GT (with a few mods) from a 10mph roll and he didn't start pulling on me until 3rd and by the time we were halfway through 4th he only had his rear bumper at my front. And let me tell you the man can DRIVE. Then again my Probe is a freak and runs mid 14's. But regardless I think a 350Z with a good driver will pretty much always beat a VR4 from a roll.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:12 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by haddixracing
No they can't. They can be made moderately fast for very little money (IE: 12's in the 1/4) but after that it suddenly hits a plateau and becomes very expensive to go much faster. The majority of the HIGHLY modded versions of those cars are still stuck in the 11's. There are only a few in the 10's and those things have been out for 12 years now! BTW, I am speaking from experience as well. I had a 92 Stealth RT/TT up until last winter. And NO stock they are not very fast. My good friend Tom has a VR4 with only 60,000 miles on it. I raced him in my Probe GT (with a few mods) from a 10mph roll and he didn't start pulling on me until 3rd and by the time we were halfway through 4th he only had his rear bumper at my front. And let me tell you the man can DRIVE. Then again my Probe is a freak and runs mid 14's. But regardless I think a 350Z with a good driver will pretty much always beat a VR4 from a roll.
Maybe i should rephrase.....
from a standing start on the street those cars are sick. Like i said earlier the VR4 i'm talking about lost by a car to a 01 Z28 that was on slicks.....he normally runs 11.1-11.2 @ 124mph with the slicks. On the street it was VEEEERY even.

BTW if you are going to buy new stuff be prepared to pay out the ***.....you can buy slightly used Turbos and intercoolers and get out a ton cheaper.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Zmeflyby

Originally posted by JamRWS6
My friend has a modded VR-4 as well and it does NOT lose speed at 80 mph.

That car pulls HAAAAARD through every gear and I've been with him to 160 and it was still pulling HAAAARD. He says he has been the upside of 180 in it and I don't doubt that one bit.

And the launch on that car is

At the track he ran 12.4 @ 114 with very bad traction problems and only a high 1.8 60.....
he has run only one car behind a Z28 on slicks on the streets that runs 11.1 @ 124 mph at the track.

Not to mention the AWD, all wheel steering, and active aero is Verry cool.

does he have a turbo swap?
most vr4s w/o turbo swaps dont have that kind of top end like u mentioned.

Quick Reply: 350z vs. 3000 GT VR4