Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Can a 350 run nines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 12:47 AM
InSearchOf9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can a 350 run nines?

First, would it at all be possible for a 350 to run a 1/4 mile in under ten seconds? Second, could this be done with a touring edition car (the extra couple hundred pounds). Third, what mods would most likely need to be done? And finally, could this be done without NOS? I'm considering purchasing a Z, but am also concerned that it may not be able to do what I need it to. Of all Japanese imports the Z series is my favorite. My parents owned a couple of 280zxs and one 300zx that later brought joy to my grandfather when we gave it to him. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'm considering the Z over a dinan 3 series (or maybe even an M3), but I want all the performance that a Ferrari could give. Tall order? Deffinately. Doable... we'll see!

Thank you very much,

Erik
Old 06-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can a 350 run nines?

Originally posted by InSearchOf9
First, would it at all be possible for a 350 to run a 1/4 mile in under ten seconds? Second, could this be done with a touring edition car (the extra couple hundred pounds). Third, what mods would most likely need to be done? And finally, could this be done without NOS? I'm considering purchasing a Z, but am also concerned that it may not be able to do what I need it to. Of all Japanese imports the Z series is my favorite. My parents owned a couple of 280zxs and one 300zx that later brought joy to my grandfather when we gave it to him. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'm considering the Z over a dinan 3 series (or maybe even an M3), but I want all the performance that a Ferrari could give. Tall order? Deffinately. Doable... we'll see!

Thank you very much,

Erik
It all depends, but yes you could.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:07 AM
InSearchOf9

What would it need to really shave time? I'm thinking a TT couldn't hurt, but are there any specific parts by certain companies that you'd recommend?
Old 06-22-2003, 01:17 AM
toykilla

a major engine overhaul would be needed thats for sure
Old 06-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

There is so many mods, too much to list. Engine internals, Turbo, exhaust, weight reduction, drag slicks, good driver, tranny built up, etc.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:59 AM
35oZephyR

Definitely in a matter of time. The car weighs so much there would have to be alternative parts to lighten up the car. This would of course be very very costly.

If you wanted a 9 second car it would be possible somewhere down the line but it won't be an everyday driver.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:33 AM
rouxeny

You could make a Yugo run nines. The only questions would be if it would still be streetable and if would be worth it.

To make the Z a 9 second car would require a complete and total change of the car, I would think it would have to become essentially a dedicated drag racer. I think the touring would probably be a bad idea, seeing as you'd be ripping out the leather seats in search of something lighter, and that you'd never use the heated mirrors, the VDC/TCS, or the Bose radio.

It would seem pretty simple (expensive though) to make a drag racer out of a Z. However, the process would probably remove a lot of the qualities that originally attracted you to the car, like the nice handling, the luxury features, sound insulation, a good ride, those sorts of things. I don't think there are many 9 second cars out there with full leather interiors. I would guess there aren't that many 9 second cars out there with any real interior at all, might be wrong, but the point remains.

Finally, getting a Z to 9 seconds will require WAY more than a bolt on TT. The Z at best is a high 13 car stock, to go from there to 9 is a long distance away.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2003, 09:39 AM
ckny

Just out of curiosity... why do you want your car to run 9 second 1/4's? Is it for the sake of saying "my car runs 9's"? If so.. buy a foxbody mustang and call it a day - you'll save a ton of money.

It just seems if you need to ask what kind of parts will get the car into 9 second territory you really have no clue how /or no desire to get there. Just my opinion.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:40 AM
ckny

btw - a ferarri is not even close to a 9 second car.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 AM
reen

Talking he's phuckin with you guys...

...and he's getting away with it.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:01 AM
InSearchOf9

Haha, and that "other" forum!

Seriously though, I'd like my future Z to run the 1/4 as fast as it can while still handling like it should and being a daily driver. I know a couple people who are into the show circuit and I think that would be an added little bonus of having a sweet car. NOS is an option, but only for those moments when my boss needs me to pull a cigar out of his impound lot while trying to outdrive customs!

With regards to all the questions, I'm actually trying to find out which specific parts would be best for this type of job (brand, model number, opinions, etc.) without having to do so much research upfront. I have the desire, but since the forum is here I figured that I'd try my luck with the lot of you, after all, isn't that the whole purpose?

Old 06-22-2003, 11:00 AM
JimH

Default Re: Can a 350 run nines?

The extra weight between the lightest Base model and the heaviest Touring model is only 67 pounds........ not " a couple of hundred pounds." Regards, Jim

Originally posted by InSearchOf9
First, would it at all be possible for a 350 to run a 1/4 mile in under ten seconds? Second, could this be done with a touring edition car (the extra couple hundred pounds).

Erik
Old 06-22-2003, 11:11 AM
InSearchOf9

Default Re: Re: Can a 350 run nines?

Originally posted by JimH
The extra weight between the lightest Base model and the heaviest Touring model is only 67 pounds........ not " a couple of hundred pounds." Regards, Jim
So much for being on top of my game at 4:30 in the morning.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:17 PM
rouxeny

Um, as for specific parts numbers, I think the fastest anybody on this board has brought their car might be the low low 13's, so I don't think you'll find any answers yet.

With the stuff that's out, it's just not possible.

Reen - if he is yanking our collective chains, just wait till one of the more ah, vocal, domestic drivers get's a hold of this, it'll really get out of control.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Nocturnal

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would someone buy a new car and want to make it into a 9 second car.

This is suppose to be done by a company.

To make the Z into a 9 second car will mean ripping out everything (and I am including the dash here). Completely rebuilding the engine, if not a new one (RB26DETT seems to work fine here), and spending tens of thousand on the engine itself. The body pannel might can stay and a fiberglass body may not be needed. So honestly, it wouldn't matter what car you start with, because everything will need to be rip out for sure.

Not to mention you will need to tow the car to the track, tow the car back home, you get to drive it about 10 times a year, and probably need to rebuild once a year or so.

That is what a 9 second car is all about. We all would love to have a daily driver that do 9, but lets face it, it will NEVER happen. For a clutch to catch that amount of HP off the line, you will not be able to let the car go in reverse since as soon as you let the clutch go, it will grab and stall the car.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:43 PM
RedRocketZ

You want a 9 second street legal Z you're better off going with the oldest 280 you can find. One that is pre-smog. That way you can pull the motor and replace it with a skyline motor and line up as many turbo as you want, and it would still be street legal. I know a shop in San Diego that does it they even order the motor for you as long as you have the cash. In fact if you had the cash you can make just about any car do 9s, go to the track and you’ll spot civics doing 9-11s all day. As for the 350Z keep it in the 11s you'll enjoy it a whole lot more.

Oh and BTW. Someone on this forum already broke 12s. He would not tell us whats all under the hood but we do know he is spryin about 150 shot, and riding on slicks
Old 06-22-2003, 04:59 PM
JamRWS6

There is a street driven 9 second fox body mustang in town.

The car is absolutely amazing....its a Vert with full interior.

However to run that fast the suspension is VERY loose and will not handle well on the street.

Do you even realize how fast a 9 second car is?

BTW: The car has a built motor with a procharger on it i believe...he has spent ALOT of $$ to keep it running b/c parts break easily under that kind of stress.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:41 AM
forpointsex

It would take too much money to get it into 9's at this time. I think you would have better luck going with a single turbo supra, or a 03 cobra with a kenny bell supercharger.

But if you have enough funds for a BMW M3, sign up on the waiting list now.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Marc's R/T

I'm not being a smartass here but to answer your question with a question, do you have the money? At some point the Z will be running 9's but that car won't be utilitarian at all. Forged internals, new fuel system, suspension, definitely forced induction, new tranny and on and on. An all motor, full weight Z or G in the 11's would be an awesome daily driver.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:32 PM
dgussin1

A 9 second quarter mile is bringing you to a zero to sixty time of about 1.5-1.8 seconds...Do you know how fast that is??? A Lamborghini Diablo Runs about 11.8 @ 121. Understand. 9 sec is too fast.

Quick Reply: Can a 350 run nines?