Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

auto-x and DSM owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:35 AM
sojourn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto-x and DSM owners

Looking for some thoughts from some Z owners who are big into auto-x and solo 1 (track time) events. I've got a modified '98 DSM (talon) and it's a bit heavy but worked well, epically with the AWD. While the car is still in mint condition, i'm getting tired of it and want .... a Z.

Are there any DSM converts out there?
Old 07-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Hencho

Default Dsm owner

Hey - have a 99 gst here, looking to do the same, get out of it and into a new Z
Old 07-06-2003, 10:10 AM
zredline

I had a heavily modified 95 Mitsubishi gs, now I have 03 Enthusiast model since May 3, 2003

I am concerned about some of the things listed on this board, tires, transmission, the window grease just started showing up on the passenger window, the thin paint job, the stock stereo is crap and in my opinion at certain angles my car is but ugly. My insurance went up $300 a half year and some of the after market products I want are not available yet, Koni, Ground Control, and I would like to see more 19" tires and wheels available.

On the positive side I wanted a rear wheel drive, 2 seater sports car, and as one car magazine writer stated it has $50,000 worth of technology for about $30,000. The power is great lots of torque, handleing is similar to my mitsu's setup, I purchased insanes grounding kit and installed the chrome door guard on the grill. Lastly I am still learning and I have a new car to start modifying.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:26 AM
Buub

Don't let the gripes get you down. It's important to remember that these guys are the vocal minority. People complain when things aren't right. You won't see thousands of people come here and post threads saying there is nothing wrong with their cars.

The vast majority of Z's run great. There are a small percentage with problems. And from what I've been reading, Nissan is actively fixing the problems, even if some people have jerk-around dealers. Hopefully just switching dealers is a way around that issue.

Grats on the Z!
Old 07-06-2003, 05:02 PM
Ralphus

I had a 400hp Eclipse GST for a while.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:31 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zredline
I had a heavily modified 95 Mitsubishi gs, now I have 03 Enthusiast model since May 3, 2003

I am concerned about some of the things listed on this board, tires, transmission, the window grease just started showing up on the passenger window, the thin paint job, the stock stereo is crap and in my opinion at certain angles my car is but ugly. My insurance went up $300 a half year and some of the after market products I want are not available yet, Koni, Ground Control, and I would like to see more 19" tires and wheels available.

On the positive side I wanted a rear wheel drive, 2 seater sports car, and as one car magazine writer stated it has $50,000 worth of technology for about $30,000. The power is great lots of torque, handleing is similar to my mitsu's setup, I purchased insanes grounding kit and installed the chrome door guard on the grill. Lastly I am still learning and I have a new car to start modifying.
butt ugly?? bro you bought the wrong car
Old 07-06-2003, 11:31 PM
joeshow750

Well, I'm not big into auto-x but I just sold my 95 Talon TSI AWD. I had quite a few mods done to the Talon and I loved the AWD. The only thing I didn't like about the car was that I had to change everything to get the car where I wanted it. From intake, exhaust, manifold, o2 sensor housing, turbo, intercooler, blow-off valve, ecu, plugs, wires, injectors, fuel pump, fuel management system, springs, and so on...and on, and on...all the way down to the disgustingly ugly interior. Out of the box, I'm happy with the Z. Although I'm still planning on modifying it, I could leave it stock and be plenty happy...decent power, great handling, good looks (I'm almost sick of people constantly asking me about it). While modding and tuning the car was a great learning experience, I'm into alot of other things avidly...golf, motorcycles, video games etc., so the time it took to do things right with the Talon was a hassle. If you've got the cash to get the Z, I'd say get it...you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:35 AM
sojourn

Originally posted by zredline
[B]I had a heavily modified 95 Mitsubishi gs, now I have 03 Enthusiast model since May 3, 2003

I'm sure that everyone on this board that owns one would disagree but i'm always afraid of the first year for anything. As far as the things you listed, remember crank-walk and x-fer case? If sticky windows is all i have to worry about...

How does the stereo compare to the double din Infinity CD/Tape/FM that came in the DSMs ?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 AM
sojourn

Default Re: Dsm owner

Originally posted by Hencho
Hey - have a 99 gst here, looking to do the same, get out of it and into a new Z
I've looked at many, but have not yet driven a 350z. I would say my TSi is "well" modified, i can't wait to compare it. I hope the steering is as quick or quicker. Power wise it should feel about the same (280ish HP), but i know it's going to feel soft...

Have you driven one yet? What did you think?
Old 07-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Hencho

Default missing my Dsm

I sure will miss my eclipse, Id have to say it is my current favorite car for handling and power - It fit like a glove, And i only hope that the 350 feels the same way . . . Sure am going to miss that damn blow off tho

Still - reading about the drive here makes me feel a lot better about letting her go.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:46 AM
sojourn

Originally posted by rodH
butt ugly?? bro you bought the wrong car
Well you gotta admit, something's gotta be done about the front...

... but don't get me wrong... this may very well me in my driveway in the not so distant future.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:49 AM
sojourn

Default Re: missing my Dsm

Originally posted by Hencho
I sure will miss my eclipse, Id have to say it is my current favorite car for handling and power - It fit like a glove, And i only hope that the 350 feels the same way . . . Sure am going to miss that damn blow off tho
I hear 'ya! I'd most likely be putting an ATI ProCharger on it within the first year, but there'll still be something missing.

PUFFFFFFFFFT....
Old 07-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Zenvy

Originally posted by sojourn
Well you gotta admit, something's gotta be done about the front...

... but don't get me wrong... this may very well me in my driveway in the not so distant future.
Believe me...the front looks a lot better without the front plate, that's why I opted not to put one on.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Buub

I don't have any problems with the front... :-)
Attached Thumbnails auto-x and DSM owners-z-front-small.jpg  
Old 07-07-2003, 01:39 PM
99AllTurbo

I don't auto-x, but I had a 99 GS-t since new. Unfortunately it was totalled in an accident. I was looking for an AWD next, but could not find one in my state. At the same time I had bought an Options magazine with the 350Z in it and all I did was drool at the pics for days.

I never found an 2g AWD DSM, and just went for the new car. I don't regret buying the Z at all. I was a hardcore DSMer though, believe me, but I guess it was meant for my GS-t to be totalled.

Of course at first I missed the power my DSM had, but I added my Injen exhast about 3 weeks ago and it has made a good difference in power. So in time, the Z will get faster and faster.

From the day I picked it up (on my b-day ) to today I still get stares. Everytime I see one, all I do is stare.
You won't regret it. It's a beautiful car and fun to drive.

Just do it.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Ralphus

I've owned a lot of cars, and the DSM community was the best. I could find help and instructions on ANY mod, lots of events, messageboards, websites, and DIY inexpensive horsepower tricks and parts. That's what I mostly miss about DSM's, the community.

If Mitsubishi could make a decent tranny (no crankwalk), the 90's DSMs woulda been one of the greatest mod cars ever. I had lots of fun and spent lots of time foolin' with 4G63 engines.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
rktjhn

Default I do Auto Cross...and here is the result

Here is the result of 3 various Z cars.....in about 30 AutoX races;
T he Injen does do a fine job, driving without it is like trying to race with the A/C on
The track tire size selection sucks, 225 and 265 Kumhos and 245 road Race Hoosiers. The K0s work, 38 front and 33 rear work well. The 265 will fit the track rims no matter what Tire Rack says.
Cobra rims and tires will fit the non track models, Mine went to a guy and they have the exact same offsets and an amazing selection of 17 inch sizes, even AutoX formulas, get it together Hoosier and Kumho and do some 18 inch stuff
The Borla true dual and the KN replacement are WAY faster than stock Nissan, can't understate that enough, I mean WAY faster.
We need some Adjustable shocks, get it together Koni!!!!!!!!!
I did a .00 adjustment all around and dropped 1 second right off, the Nissan adjustment is way off, get yours checked, Nissan will do it for free, my stock tire, RF wore real bad
Another racer does toe out for AutoX and we found on the computer rack that it does toe out and pos camber.
John, says rookie, but I got 100s of miles at way above 150.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:37 PM
BlackFLZ

rktjhn,
I'm interested in make my Z better for autocrossing, A couple of questions:
"The Injen does do a fine job, driving without it is like trying to race with the A/C on..."
Q - Are you talking about the Injen intake?

"...The Borla true dual and the KN replacement are WAY faster than stock Nissan, can't understate that enough, I mean WAY faster..."

Q - Do mean the K&N filter replacement or the new K&N CAI that is coming out?

"...We need some Adjustable shocks, get it together Koni!..."
Q - Won't the JIC FLT-A2 or Tein Flex work?
Anybody successfully use these or other coilovers/shocks for AutoX use?

Thanks for you input! What else would you do the for Z to make it competitive? My 350evo sway bars and Toyo T1s helped a bit but I feel the Z needs more help in the tires and suspension area.

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:01 PM
rktjhn

Default some answers

If you change the rear sway bar it throws you out of BS, into ASP.
If you go with the shocks and coilovers it throws you into ASP, as does the Injen Air intake.
The KN replacement and the Borla will leave you in BS,
Hope that helps, John
Old 07-09-2003, 03:22 AM
sojourn

Default Re: I do Auto Cross...and here is the result

Originally posted by rktjhn
[B] The track tire size selection sucks, 225 and 265 Kumhos and 245 road Race Hoosiers. The K0s work, 38 front and 33 rear work well. The 265 will fit the track rims no matter what Tire Rack says.
Cobra rims and tires will fit the non track models, Mine went to a guy and they have the exact same offsets and an amazing selection of 17 inch sizes, even AutoX formulas, get it together Hoosier and Kumho and do some 18 inch stuff
I ran a 16x8 rim with 245-45 K0's and they worked great. Cobra rims are 16x8 i believe, are the 350z rims only 18x7.5 ? That's thin!

I've often wondered at what point the wider tires no longer work. A tire 315 wide would provide lots of surface area but would take a long time to heat up, where as a thinner 225 tire would hit optimum temp right away. Any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: auto-x and DSM owners