Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:12 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

3am....empty interstate...Garmin GPS on board. Ran the Z up to 155mph indicated on the digital speedo. And guess what....154.2mph on the GPS!!!! I would have pushed it further...it had a little more in it, but I ran out of straight road.

Turns out the speedo in the Z isn't off the 10mph that some people on here seem to think it is. I bet I could have seen 160 on the GPS with about another mile of straight road.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:31 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool!! Great to know. I was hoping someone would post GPS info. You need to find a longer road. Would love to know what you top out at.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by bixby
Cool!! Great to know. I was hoping someone would post GPS info. You need to find a longer road. Would love to know what you top out at.
It will be awhile...it took my 6 months of owning the car to grow my nuts big enough to push it that high on a public highway...even if there aren't any other cars around. I had much bigger ***** when I was a teenager.

Had my R6 up to 165 indicated on the same interstate a while back....I doubt I'll do that again!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:34 PM
zaway

Next time you need to start from further back so you won't run out of road. Just kidding, nice run and yeah I agree the electronic speedo is pretty acurate, technology is not what it used to be.

zaway.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Lokeey

Good job........it's nice to know that are speedo's are at least + or - 1 mph......
Old 07-09-2003, 10:37 PM
xZlr8

Default Re: Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
3am....empty interstate...Garmin GPS on board. Ran the Z up to 155mph indicated on the digital speedo. And guess what....154.2mph on the GPS!!!! I would have pushed it further...it had a little more in it, but I ran out of straight road.

Turns out the speedo in the Z isn't off the 10mph that some people on here seem to think it is. I bet I could have seen 160 on the GPS with about another mile of straight road.
When someone posts proof like this where do all the trolls run off to?? They were sure quick to jump on that guys 158 post saying it was speedo error
Old 07-09-2003, 10:51 PM
AmyCroft

Smile GPS has delay

Went to 125 MPH Digitally indicated - then with logging a Magelen Meridian and the GPS said 127 max,,, To a Toshiba Lap top

I was off the gas , and looking for the next off ramp - turn back on very straight, empty road..

Cheers Amy -

Perhaps a device that logs such as the GPS2000 running but not accessed or the pasive logger www.traveleyes.com

The traveleyes 2 is a passive logger read out later GPS logger.

About $ 350 U.S.D.

Cheers Amy -
Old 07-09-2003, 11:51 PM
D'oh

Default Re: GPS has delay

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Went to 125 MPH Digitally indicated - then with logging a Magelen Meridian and the GPS said 127 max,,, To a Toshiba Lap top

I was off the gas , and looking for the next off ramp - turn back on very straight, empty road..

Cheers Amy -

Perhaps a device that logs such as the GPS2000 running but not accessed or the pasive logger www.traveleyes.com

The traveleyes 2 is a passive logger read out later GPS logger.

About $ 350 U.S.D.

Cheers Amy -

Amy, I don't want to be nitpicky, but could you perhaps look into punctuation and sentence strucure?

All of your posts sound like they have knowledge and wisdom buried in there somewhere, but I have yet to understand a single one of them.

After each post I stare at it for a while but all I can come up with is:

Maybe you could send me a decoder ring???

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't get what you are saying. I need help!

BriGuyMax,

I see you are not running the stock tire sizes. How does your rolling diameter compare the stock's, pretty close? Would that affect your results at all?

Thanks,
D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 07-09-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:43 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Grammar and Structure - Decode

Originally posted by D'oh
Amy, I don't want to be nitpicky, but could you perhaps look into punctuation and sentence strucure?
All of your posts sound like they have knowledge and wisdom buried in there somewhere, but I have yet to understand a single one of them.
After each post I stare at it for a while but all I can come up with is:

Maybe you could send me a decoder ring???
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't get what you are saying. I need help!
Thanks,
D'oh!
I like your avatar.

I agree - being English I should be more correct.

Roughly translated, with out Nihongo slang.

Driving the Z to speed, on a section of road, clear of traffic.
A Toshiba lap top was used.
A Magelan Meridian hand held GPS, with a Serial cable was pluged into the LapTop.

The software used was Delorme Street Atlas 2003.

The speed was indicated at 127 on the laptop. However the
350Z's digital display indicated 125..

The 350Z tires are stock 17" with Factory Bridgestone Potenza's

Capitch?
Cheers Amy -

Have a new GPS unit to test. It is a Delorme USB powered unit.
It is bright Yellow. I purchased it directly from Delorme's website.

However, it is now available bundled with Street Atlas 2003 for $125 U.S.D. at Fry's electronics.

It appears to initialize in 8 to 12 seconds. I hope it has less latency than the Meridian.

I have purchased a 17cm square Epia PC board, and intend to
install it in the Z. I located a DC to DC power supply. And with some luck and help from Scafremon and DrBonze, I hope to mount it in the area behind the 10 inch Bose speaker.
The GPS device will be mounted in the rear strut box, under the plastic. Some small amount of sheet metal will be removed to allow a clear view to the sky.

I also like my GPS2000 www.gps2000online.com for locating the vehicle. I have a supplier in the East who sells this device for $400
U.S.D.

Let me know, and I can PM you the website URL .
Old 07-10-2003, 08:59 PM
|T3|

wow your ****ing crazy..... even though i find it sometimes difficult to keep my vehicle away from those speeds there is no way i would ever attempt to take it that high...wow.

and i dont think digital speedometers would be off... the reason most speedometers are off is because there are gears and what not..... not the case wtih digi speedos....
Old 07-10-2003, 10:27 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: Re: GPS has delay

Originally posted by D'oh

BriGuyMax,

I see you are not running the stock tire sizes. How does your rolling diameter compare the stock's, pretty close? Would that affect your results at all?

Thanks,
D'oh!

The diameter change going from 245/45-18 to 275/40-18 is less that .01% they are nearly identical in size so that would make like a 1/4 a mph difference at most @ 155mph

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 07-10-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:41 PM
D'oh

Amy, BriGuy, thanks to both of you for your clarifications.

-D'oh!
Old 07-10-2003, 11:07 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by |T3|
wow your ****ing crazy..... even though i find it sometimes difficult to keep my vehicle away from those speeds there is no way i would ever attempt to take it that high...wow.

and i dont think digital speedometers would be off... the reason most speedometers are off is because there are gears and what not..... not the case wtih digi speedos....

I don't think the situation I had was really that crazy....I was on an EMPTY, straight, flat, 3-lane interstate with concrete walls on both sides....about the worst thing that could happen is a tire blow-out....

Now doing the same speed with cars around or on a different road would be a different story.

Crazy is the time I did 165 on my R6 on the same streach of road last fall.....
Old 07-11-2003, 04:22 AM
Blue Liquid

One of the recent car mags mentioned that the digital speedo on the Z roadster did not correlate with the analog one on the dash...
Old 07-11-2003, 06:25 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
One of the recent car mags mentioned that the digital speedo on the Z roadster did not correlate with the analog one on the dash...
Yes, I think that was road and track. I thought that was wierd since mine is perfect.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:48 AM
JamRWS6

Default Re: Re: Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

Originally posted by xZlr8
When someone posts proof like this where do all the trolls run off to?? They were sure quick to jump on that guys 158 post saying it was speedo error
Are you talking to me??

Its a well known fact that some of the most expensive cars (ex. Porsche 911) have speedometers that are inaccurate at high speeds. I don't think I ever said it couldn't be done.

Heck 275HP LT1 F-bodies have been hitting 160mph since 1993....why couldn't a 287HP 350Z hit that speed?

And its not always about how fast you can go but rather how long it takes you to get there....if you need an extra mile of road I wouldn't say the car is "easily capable" of 160.

Peace
Old 07-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
I've wanted to say that for ages, and hinted at it in my post about this a while back, but I had nothing to back it up. I just know that my analog speedo has the typical and expected speed inconsitencies we have all come to expect, but my digital will be way less. Like when I hit 157 or whatever it was on the digital speedo before backing off, my analog speedo was pegged way past 160, like around where 170 would be.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:37 PM
xZlr8

Default Re: Re: Re: Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

Originally posted by JamRWS6
Are you talking to me??

Its a well known fact that some of the most expensive cars (ex. Porsche 911) have speedometers that are inaccurate at high speeds. I don't think I ever said it couldn't be done.

Heck 275HP LT1 F-bodies have been hitting 160mph since 1993....why couldn't a 287HP 350Z hit that speed?

And its not always about how fast you can go but rather how long it takes you to get there....if you need an extra mile of road I wouldn't say the car is "easily capable" of 160.

Peace
I raced a 2000 LS1 auto. He started pulling on me in third gear and by the end of 5th he was about 2 cars ahead and was not pulling anymore. I don't think it would take and extra mile of road to get there, JAM. I don't remember if it was you or not. Some GM fanatic started flaming on the other guy who originally posted the 158 top speed saying it was speedo error.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:22 PM
JamRWS6

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

Originally posted by xZlr8
I raced a 2000 LS1 auto. He started pulling on me in third gear and by the end of 5th he was about 2 cars ahead and was not pulling anymore. I don't think it would take and extra mile of road to get there, JAM. I don't remember if it was you or not. Some GM fanatic started flaming on the other guy who originally posted the 158 top speed saying it was speedo error.
Maybe not a mile...but a very long distance......remember you are already traveling at 150+........thats eating up a lot of ground!!!

Just wondering why you thought you had to put in the fact you raced a 2000 LS1 Auto let along hung with him? Were LS1s even brought up in this conversation??
I've pulled a 98 A4 Formula by about 5 cars 60-120......from a dead stop passed my friends 03 Cobra at 145, and generally annihilate other LS1 cars unless they have quite a few mods. What does that have to do with this discussion.....nothing.
Try and keep LS1 bickering to a minimum.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 12:32 PM
xZlr8

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night

Originally posted by JamRWS6
Maybe not a mile...but a very long distance......remember you are already traveling at 150+........thats eating up a lot of ground!!!

Just wondering why you thought you had to put in the fact you raced a 2000 LS1 Auto let along hung with him? Were LS1s even brought up in this conversation??
I've pulled a 98 A4 Formula by about 5 cars 60-120......from a dead stop passed my friends 03 Cobra at 145, and generally annihilate other LS1 cars unless they have quite a few mods. What does that have to do with this discussion.....nothing.
Try and keep LS1 bickering to a minimum.
Thanks
You were the only one who replied to my statement. You're name is JamRWS6. It was also a bunch of LS1 drivers who originally called BS on the 158mph story calling it speedo error. Hope that cures your "wondering" problem.

Quick Reply: Top Speed GPS'd the Z last night