Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Road and Track article on launching

Old 07-19-2003, 12:47 PM
350zroadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road and Track article on launching

I was reading response to article on the EVO and STi explaning the difference in performance number between different tests.

Shaun Bailey - associate road test editor comments

"... The reduce grip at our second test track, which was partly due to dust on surface, also helps to explain the better acceleration times. All - wheel - drive cars have a difficult time launching because they can't get wheel spin and that bogs the engine. ...."

This seems contrary to what I know, but he's an associate road test editor and I'm nobody. So anyone want to comment on this? Is this accurate? I thought AWD are superb at launching, especially since power is applied to 4 tires. Also the spinning the wheels means the power isn't translating properly to the pavement.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:42 PM
WS.6 MAN

Default Re: Road and Track article on launching

Originally posted by 350zroadster
I was reading response to article on the EVO and STi explaning the difference in performance number between different tests.

Shaun Bailey - associate road test editor comments

"... The reduce grip at our second test track, which was partly due to dust on surface, also helps to explain the better acceleration times. All - wheel - drive cars have a difficult time launching because they can't get wheel spin and that bogs the engine. ...."

This seems contrary to what I know, but he's an associate road test editor and I'm nobody. So anyone want to comment on this? Is this accurate? I thought AWD are superb at launching, especially since power is applied to 4 tires. Also the spinning the wheels means the power isn't translating properly to the pavement.

Every Evo, WRX, Audi S4, Typhoon owner would disagree with Road and Track's article. Sure off idle the car will bog but dumping the clutch from 5000+ RPM = Bat out of hell launches.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:00 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Well, the Typhoon owner (or Syclone owner like me ) would have trouble dumping a clutch.

We just brake torque, then let go
Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 PM
WS.6 MAN

Default My Bad

Originally posted by MannishBoy
Well, the Typhoon owner (or Syclone owner like me ) would have trouble dumping a clutch.

We just brake torque, then let go
Ooops, forgot the typhoon, syclones are autos. Would you mind answering a few questions for me.

1) How would you describe the Syclones performance compared to a LS1, 350Z, cobra, GT, Zo6, Carrera(spelling), Supra, WRX, hell even the LT1? On a scale of 1-10 were would your truck stand compared to these cars?

2) How is the reliability of your Syclone?

3) What are your trucks mods and what dose it run?
Old 07-19-2003, 03:49 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

My truck is pretty much stock with 18,000 miles. It has a Kenne Belle CAI, and that's about it. I haven't ever taken it to the track. It is kind of a garage queen that has more sentimental value to me than something to mod on (reasons I won't go into here).

As for how it is to the Z, it definitely pulls significantly harder at launch, but due to gearing and aerodynamics, it is running out of gas as the Z finds its own.

I've not had any problems with my truck besides an ABS controller under warranty, but as I said, it has low miles and hasn't been abused much.