Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Elevated Oil/Water Temp During Track Use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Blue Liquid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevated Oil/Water Temp During Track Use?

Have any of you noticed an elevation of oil or water temps after running on a road course, i.e. HPDE , time trial, or something similar? N-tech engineering had issues with this, and mention it in part of their blog. Also, in Best Motoring 6, they installed an aftermarket oil cooler on their Z before running it against the M3, S2000, Skyline, and Boxster. I'm concerned about this because I will be tracking again as soon as my car comes in. The water temp needle on my Type R never budged, not even at Summit point last August in 97 degree weather! (I realize temps can become elevated without registering on the needle, so at least in N-Tech's case, they had serious elevation!)

Thanks,
-Gennaro
Old 08-15-2003, 07:13 AM
2003z

I haven't had problems, my temp gage stays right where it always does, but I believe others who are experienced and drive much harder than I do and have high ambient temps do have some temp issues.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:37 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another HT RR/AX member I see...

My engine temp has never budged in any of the five track events I've run. Where I've had problems was getting the car to downshift into 3rd when the tranny got really not, but that was on my old tranny. After a few track events, the diff fluid will break down.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:41 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I think you have to take into account the driving as well, Nick is very good and goes all out for the entire session so he is seeing the extremes that some of us wont, so if you drive hard all day then you might want to keep an eye on what Nick comes up with for mods.

One thing I did notice was that I had Power steering fluid all over the place after my last event, it was on the underside of the hood right above the reservoir and down the sides of it.

Maybe the Nismo cooler would help, but I also drove with the grill in place, I am going to remove it next time.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:59 AM
jackwhale

I ran at Thunderhill in No Calif last month. Air temp was 110. We ran 1/2 hour sessions, and I was very surprised that the temp needle didn't move at all. I certainly had expected the car to run hotter. My only explanations were either the Z has a well designed cooling system or the guage is broken!
Old 08-18-2003, 06:15 PM
raceboy
Banned

If you are driving the car hard enough in 100+ degree weather, you will have problems. I don't know if it would be as bad on street tires, but R tires also place a greater strain on the engine. I have had to do a few "cool down" laps!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 08:22 PM
nokidz

I had overheating problems on the last session of the day at Willow Springs. Air temp was 95 and the track had just been re-surfaced so it was black and described by the Speedventures crew as "melting". My mistake was not removing my front license plate. I have a custom mount which fits within the grill. My bad. I lost some coolant and my brake fluid resivoir was boiling as well.