Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

1/4 mile times w/ ATI procharger...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 06:41 PM
krismax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see why the Z could not easily run 12's NA ? Theres a 96 maxima on maximaorg. with basic bolt ons running 13.6. and 13.9 with street tires
Old 08-24-2003, 03:41 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting "into the 12's"- remember, we only have 3.5 liters.
Even if you work really hard there is only so much torque available out of a little engine.
A couple years ago, there was a Camaro-Mustang "shoot out" in Car & Driver. I recall the Mustang was 0-60 in ~1.9 seconds (think about the acceleration...) and they had about 600ci and about 850HP working for them. I think the 1/4 mile was "still" only about 10.5 seconds. I think the physics just isnt in our cars...
But, it is still a blast to drive....! I really like the hum that kicks in around 2000rpm.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by ares
he sure can, talk away, what we didnt want was the personal attacks and slander that seemed to be coming from max and his installer. this isnt court, and the people here are not the ones that need convincing.

but you are free to speak about your car all you want man. just keep it objective and try not to include things about your difficulties between you and the installer, but your free to talk about anything else...

hopefully this doesnt get picked apart as the staff censoring you. we just want to keep things clean and to the subject around here.
so what changed from yesterday to today that made it necessary to ban Max? I'm wondering what I missed, I'm not questioning the decision (I'm obviously not in favor of it, but that's besides the point.) I saw, read, and followed the new thread he posted that he mentioned in this thread and I saw no other threads made by him after he was told to keep the whole ordeal under wraps. Did he cross the line with that new thread he made?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:50 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by johnsZ
getting "into the 12's"- remember, we only have 3.5 liters.
Even if you work really hard there is only so much torque available out of a little engine.
A couple years ago, there was a Camaro-Mustang "shoot out" in Car & Driver. I recall the Mustang was 0-60 in ~1.9 seconds (think about the acceleration...) and they had about 600ci and about 850HP working for them. I think the 1/4 mile was "still" only about 10.5 seconds. I think the physics just isnt in our cars...
But, it is still a blast to drive....! I really like the hum that kicks in around 2000rpm.
johnsZ

I have seen street Eclipse's that run low 11's at the texas motorplex all day long. So trust me if you can turn a 2.0 liter eclipse into a 11 second car I am pretty sure we can make our Z do the same. Granted they are AWD and have a traction advantage but we do have more displacement. Also greddy's kit according to Turbomagazine is running 12.8 with only 5.6lbs of boost.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:30 AM
nonmature

Originally posted by spazpilot
johnsZ

I have seen street Eclipse's that run low 11's at the texas motorplex all day long. So trust me if you can turn a 2.0 liter eclipse into a 11 second car I am pretty sure we can make our Z do the same. Granted they are AWD and have a traction advantage but we do have more displacement. Also greddy's kit according to Turbomagazine is running 12.8 with only 5.6lbs of boost.
dude hes talkin about NA... thats no turbo, no SC, no Nitrous totally different game... but I think it can be done and will be done on a street driven Z... call me crazy but I think its possible. as a matter of fact I think I'll try hahaha...

no but seriously now I think its very possible with a GOOD driver, but I think we still need some more parts to come out...

-non
Old 08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
spazpilot

nonmature

I still think its possible too. I am pretty sure if you purchase the high compression piston kit along with some good cams and the normal bolt ons 12's will be easy. I was trying to show how easy this day and age it is to get into the 12's with the greddy kit. Its putting out the least amount of boost out of all the kits. I did understand that he want to stay N/A but why it will cost way to much !!!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:30 AM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by Apexi350z
all I want is to run 13.2-13.5 with street tires, I think with exhaust, header, cat-pipe, intake, ecu, that should do it. what do you guys think?
no way...The 350z from smithstown nissan is only running 13.6 on motor with more mods than that and that was on DR's...I run 13.3-13.5 on street tires all day long but on juice..N/A 13.2-13.3 that is tough, not saying its not possible but it will cost you alot of $$$$$$. most likely it will take some internal work to get into low 13's N/A...
Old 08-27-2003, 11:57 AM
f r e z N Y

Originally posted by krismax
I dont see why the Z could not easily run 12's NA ? Theres a 96 maxima on maximaorg. with basic bolt ons running 13.6. and 13.9 with street tires
Well, for one, his Max is only about 2760 lbs. Nealoc187's car has ALL the bolt ons, not just basic ones, not to mention JWT ECU and very light wheels.

Last edited by f r e z N Y; 08-27-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:03 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a follow up...
I was reviewing some power/torque/weight relationships that were published a few years ago.
For a car weighing about 2250 lbs, to get to 12 seconds you need about 465 HP approximately (this is at the rear wheels), assuming you have good traction, and not spinning the tires too much. at 3300 pounds, you need close to 575HP (I could not find the torque values (sorry), but they will be within 50-75 ft-lbs of the horsepower magnitude). I agree with the possibility of a blown engine or nitrous getting the HP up high enough, but the thread was started talking about relatively simple modifications, I think.
The best I have done on a small block Chevy is a bit over 425HP out of a 350inch engine, without going to really major changes. One of these days I will try Nitrous....
Old 08-28-2003, 05:16 AM
jackie chan

from what i have seen i think you guys should be able to hit
12's NA ...i mean look how close i am in my car with a lot more weight to haul around...a gear set prob. wouldnt hurt...i mean slicks and gears are the 2 biggest et reducers NA
Old 08-28-2003, 05:18 AM
jackie chan

a follow up...
I was reviewing some power/torque/weight relationships that were published a few years ago.
For a car weighing about 2250 lbs, to get to 12 seconds you need about 465 HP approximately (this is at the rear wheels), assuming you have good traction, and not spinning the tires too much. at 3300 pounds, you need close to 575HP (I could not find the torque values (sorry), but they will be within 50-75 ft-lbs of the horsepower magnitude). I agree with the possibility of a blown engine or nitrous getting the HP up high enough, but the thread was started talking about relatively simple modifications, I think.
The best I have done on a small block Chevy is a bit over 425HP out of a 350inch engine, without going to really major changes. One of these days I will try Nitrous....
are you crazy....465 hp to hit 12's and 575hp in a 3100 pound car...try less than half that...you should edit your post before people think thats right
Old 08-28-2003, 06:10 AM
silverTA 2002

Originally posted by spazpilot
johnsZ

Actually, the fastest turbo DSMs are in the 8 second range in the 1/4 mile. With the fastest running a 7.8.

The funny part is they're all still 2.0 liter engines.

How fast you want to go completely depends on how much money you have.

There are plenty of NA 4cl civics running low 11 second 1/4 mile times.

You're not gonna do it with bolt-ons, but completely re-doing the internals, 12's would be pretty easy with traction.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:21 AM
silverTA 2002

a follow up...
What the heck are you talking about???

465hp at the rear wheels to run 12's in a 2250 lb car??? Are you nuts?? That car would be much much faster.

A viper weighs well over 3300 lbs, and puts less than 465hp to the wheels, but it runs low 12's.

Check out this...... http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/quartmile.html

It's a 1/4 mile calculator. 465 rwhp is 550 crank hp. A 550hp 2250 lb car will run a 9.9 second 1/4 mile time!!!

Your 3300 lbs car runs a 10.5.

Sorry dude, but you're way way off!! I'm betting that with 375hp, a Z could run high 12's. That's a 100 shot of nitrous.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:48 AM
f r e z N Y

You're right, Silver TA, about JohnZ's number being way off. MardiGrasMax from the DC area had his SC'd max up to about 427 FWHP last time I checked and ran an 11.9 on slicks. His Maxima was his daily driver, so I don't know if he did any drastic weight reduction to get the 11.9 ET. Now, on average, a normal Maxima will weigh about 3000 lbs. So, that throw's out the notion that 465 whp is needed in a 2250 lb car to hit 12's.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:41 AM
outcast
Banned

a follow up...
where did you come up with this my father 99 z28 with full exhaust, gears and some drag radials would run 1240's all day long and it was definatly not making anywhere near 465 hp at the wheels and it also weighed 3650 with him in it.... stock zo6 corvettes only make in the mid to high 300's at the wheels and if you put some tires on them and a driver who can drive, they will runn high 11's all day long weighing about 3300#'s... 575hp at the wheels in a 3300 pound car would be a definate mid 10 second car i'm not being a dick but me and my father build drag cars for a living, so i see this **** all the time... nothing to do with z's but i'm curious how you came up with you numbers above..
Old 08-29-2003, 09:50 AM
outcast
Banned

also, what you guy have to realize is a front wheel drive car (like a maxima) will never be as quick in the quater mile as rear wheel drive cars with equal power... front wheel drive cars have the drive wheels on the wrong end of the car for drag racing, when you come off the line all the weight gets transfered to the rear, which is'nt gonna help a front wheel drive car at all.... most front wheel drive cars usually have rediculous mph for the times they run.. look at pro front wheel drive cars and compare their weight and power with the pro rearwheel drive cars, the mph will be close but the elasped time is'nt..
Old 08-29-2003, 09:53 AM
outcast
Banned

with tires and someone who can drive, there is no reason a 350z with a 100 shot would'nt go mid to high 12's... jay
Old 08-29-2003, 10:06 AM
jackie chan

well this is the same stuff that people were saying a couple of years ago about 99+ gts...that is, they wouldnt go 12's with bolt ons....well now there are plenty of gts running 12's NA....and hopefully i'm not far behind....point is i think the z has almost the same potential..making up for its lackof low end with a top end pull
Old 08-29-2003, 10:47 AM
daking350
Banned

I run High 12's in my Z with a 70-80 shot of Nitrous on Drag radials. I am 250lbs which would bring the total weight to around 4000lbs (thats the car and me).
It takes alot of skill to get the high 12's out of it, one bad launch and its 13.3-13.5's if My 60 foot is less than 2.00 then its 12.6-12.9's. now heres the disturbing part....My cost to do 12's with Juice was around $2000 with all the bolt ons (installed myself)
To do 12's on a N/A Z....Probably $6000-9000 on motor work and alot of weight reduction and "SLICKS"(a must)
You be the judge of what is cost effective..
Old 08-29-2003, 10:54 AM
jackie chan

yeah but there are a lot of guys on street tires in the high 13's...with slicks maybe some more gear(if it comes available) and full exhaust i would think the car could do it.

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile times w/ ATI procharger...