Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
dTor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

to be honest, I can't say exactly how an MREV2 would compare. But, prior to even selecting pistons, etc, I had sent the rev up and non rev up collectors to my engine builder for full evaluation. In the work he did, and given my uses and desires for the car, he felt the non revup was the best bet for me. Remember, none of this stuff works in a vacuum - NA is very different from an FI setup. In FI, boost is the great equalizer. Even a less than ideal (and in some cases, crappy) intake setup can make BIG time numbers. On an NA setup though, its not so. Everything is much more interdependant, and if it's not setup to work together, it tends to fall flat on it's face, or be so completely peaky that its useless to drive on the road.

Yes, there is work done to the middle and upper portions of the intake manifold. In addition to the port work and spacer, my guru spent time working with the upper plenum to ensure the air coming in gets into the heads with as much volume and velocity, as possible. I unfortunately didn't snap pics of it before it went on the car, but there were some parts that were shaved and ported on the upper plenum cover, all towards the goal of getting as much air into the heads as quickly as possible.

Pics? In terms of? There are pics in my first post of the engine setup. I'm sort of keeping the car under wraps just a little while longer until my new bumper/hood/skirts are on and the car is repainted. Should be just a couple more weeks as we're trying to get it ready for an upcoming show. Believe me, I am eager to see how it all turns out (right now its all in my head) and to see if everyone likes the choices I went with this time.

Ok, all I got was red x's yesterday.

As for the intake work, I was talking about the actual intake manifold that goes between the lower collector and the heads.

Again, awesome work!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well, technically everything north of the heads is part of the intake manifold - you've got the collector, the lower plenum and upper plenum that combined are the intake manifold. All those components on my car were heavily reworked
Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Blue Liquid

Amazing job, subscribing to keep tabs on this beautiful work.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

just a quick update

we're making progress on my body work, and I am keeping my fingers crossed it is done soon....can't rush it though, as it's alot of new work being done and I want to ensure it is done correctly !

Once that is wrapped up, it will be back to the dyno to try a couple suggestions out that our machinist and guru-san had

And I still have to fix the damn rear main seal...I've only driven the car a few times because of it.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
636Racer

wow wow, congrats adam! just saw this and I was like..WTF? LOL.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

nothing new to report on the motor as we're still waiting for the cossie manifold, and I've had no time to do any further tuning, so just been enjoying the car. 2100 miles now on the motor total and it runs like a top, and gets even better gas mileage in mixed use driving than it did before ~370 miles to tank now vs ~ 325 with the original motor)

On the body work front, I am happy to report that it's finally started. We got the hood project finally finished, and even though it took nearly 25 hours, it looks amazing. I can't wait to show it off! We stripped the car last night, removed all the ancillaries, and we'll beging the sanding and fixing the 2 dings I have today and hopefully be ready to spray the car in the next day or 2 if the weather holds out. Its been great here the past few days....lower temps in the 70's and low humidity, so perfect to paint (I dont have the luxury of a booth, so have to do it old school!) The best part of it all is I can now literally say we did everything on the car, from the mechanicals to the paint work....without subbing it out to any one else...pretty cool

Pics to follow soon guys I promise. I've got alot of new stuff we added this year and I am really looking forward to seeing everyones reactions to the new setup
Old 08-19-2007, 04:37 PM
DanielW
Banned

so did the hp ever go up from 302 or whatever it was at?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

as I just posted in the previous post, I have not changed anything on the car as of yet - just been out enjoying it. When I get some time and once my body work is complete, we'll be back on the dyno to try out some different tuning strategies, and see where we end up. From there, we'll try out the Cosworth plenum upon it's release
Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
leozim

good luck on your build

Last edited by leozim; 08-20-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Bday350z

I know you said you were going to post vids up of the car. But any idea when we could see/hear some videos? I want to hear this beast really bad.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM
supernadc2
Banned

I really love what your doing Adam.. you are opening up a new world for those of us who are into NA or want to get into it. I have seen some of the results turbos give to 350Z and im just learning but they are amazing. Im more of a NA fan because if the unreal feeling you get and more so the reliability. My last car was a NA fully built jdm spec integra an sadly she was stolen from me. Im new to the 350 biz but i really hope you come through with something, you have no idea how interesting this is for me an how much we probably all look up to you.. I want to build NA but not much to base it off of and this has been the perfect opportunity, thanks. Hope all is going well and would love to see your project be everything you want it to be.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 AM
silver nismo

well done on every thing and on the power....
the pics of the finished engin just looks wooooow it soo clean congrats..
Old 08-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

BDay350Z - I doubt it will be anytime soon, as I have no means to edit software, nor time to even breathe lately.

thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
RebelinRI
Banned

Psssst............ Adam................ Breathe man Breathe!!! Just waiting like rest.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 PM
explicitxazian

congrats on the build
Old 09-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

ok guys - body work should finally be wrapped up this weekend, so expect a full photoshoot with the car soon

as for vid's I know I've put it off a long time, so I really want to get this done for everyone.

Using a Sony Digital 8 camcorder, can someone give me a recommendation on a software package that is essentially idiot proof, that will let me edit a video quickly and easily?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 PM
DanielW
Banned

the windows movie maker or whatever its called is fairly easy to use and it comes with windows
Old 09-01-2007, 11:05 PM
VisionaryRacing
Banned

Hey Adam, DO NOT use Window Movie Maker at all costs. It will not do your movies any justice.

I would try to use either Sony Vegas or Adobe Premier. There is a newer version called Adobe Premier Elements, which is suppose to be fairly easy to use. I have used both Premier and Vegas, and while both are on a totally different level than WMM as far as quality and execution, Premier would have my vote on being the better of the two. Of course it is also a bit harder to work with, but it will be well worth it.

You should also consider rendering with a Divx codec to have a smaller (easier to host) while retaining as much quality as possible.

I would also Host on "Stage6.com". It is a Divx video site, much like Youtube but much better quality.

Oh and I hope your computer is as fast as your car, or expect a lot of downtime while rendering.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:08 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could care less if there is any fancy editing..... I just wanna see it!

BTW.... avid has a free trial version of their industry leading video editing software...
Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 AM
da mayor

maybe wednesday night we can get a nice video going for the meet i hope you get your car finished by then

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)