Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Plans For My NA Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Yeah I understand that, but from all the setups I used for strokers it seemed like a better idea to not use long duration cams. I did plots for a 3.7 and 4.1 strokers and it seems like using long duration cams would actually require revving over 8k to take full advantage of them, anyone know if the 4.1 has the ability to rev over 8k reliably?
I really don't know what to tell you except in the real world that is what has been shown to work. Stroked motors with higher displacement are able to take advantage of higher duration and lift cams without necessarily needing high rpms to do so. You can build a stroker to rev as high as you'd like. However, in most cases it does not make sense to as you usually don't continue to make power as you continue on higher into the rev range.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 PM
redmike_02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say do it. I want to build a streetable N/A VQ beast in a few years.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
racerfreakxxx

I appreciate all the help from you guys with this, thank you.

My goal is to acheive more tourque with abigger displacement however I am looking to hit peak power around 6-7k and it plateauing to around 8k.

Like my friend said, that's alot of money to be putting into your car. 1-it's more reliable, 2- I will be racing the care and do not plan on using it as a street car once the engine is done. Also I am thinking about just putting in a custom GTM long block VQ. The list is just a rough idea of what I want to do to my engine. Once I get to actualyl doing internals I will sit down and fully plan out the besr sinario for my car. I am just tryign to get a good idea of what will get me cloaser to my goal of a high tq and high rpm engine.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Program name? Were can I get a copy to mess around with?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM
DarkZ03

Received 495 Likes on 415 Posts

program is called dyno2003? I dont know who makes it, or where to get it, my school has it so i just use it there.
Its a pretty neat program but it has nothing on vvt so its basically just rough numbers, but you can play around with compression ratios, displacement, cam profiles and heads.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:37 AM
OCG35
Banned

^^^ I wish more people would realize the “rough idea” from programs like this and not give such absolutes about real world applications.

I’m not referencing your input (you have actually made sense with the tool)… some people use theory and computer calculations to dismiss ideas that have real world viable value.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:15 AM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

all n/a projects cars should be stripped down to race weight to keep up with faster cars.

2400z with 300whp z w/8k redline mul sexy

Last edited by FAIRLADYZ_MANnE; 07-19-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

program is called dyno2003? I dont know who makes it, or where to get it, my school has it so i just use it there.
Its a pretty neat program but it has nothing on vvt so its basically just rough numbers, but you can play around with compression ratios, displacement, cam profiles and heads.
http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit...product/186010

Looks like you can buy it for $73.95. Not too expensive.

http://www.motionsoftware.com/

Here's another version of simulation software. Much more expensive.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 AM
DarkZ03

Well computers are not everything, but they help.
One thing with a N/A build is that you cant get torque and horsepower, its impossible, you have compromise or get one or the other.
I believe in compromising and getting a more broad powerband than just focusing on peak numbers.
I dont think that the strokers would be so reliable at high rpm due to the longer stroke.
I personally think that a stroker peaking at 6k would be nice.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

peak at 6k and hold it till 8k that would be better
Old 07-19-2008, 06:16 PM
KA24DE

Well computers are not everything, but they help.
One thing with a N/A build is that you cant get torque and horsepower, its impossible, you have compromise or get one or the other.
I believe in compromising and getting a more broad powerband than just focusing on peak numbers.
I dont think that the strokers would be so reliable at high rpm due to the longer stroke.
I personally think that a stroker peaking at 6k would be nice.
I think you have things mixed up. The higher you rev, the more power you can make. You will have to sacrifice low end power to make more power at higher rpm, and you will be faster.

Nissan did this with the VQ, on the Rev up, and then the HR.

Peaking power at 6000rpm doesn't sound fun, it sounds like a truck.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
KA24DE

Originally Posted by FAIRLADYZ_MANnE
peak at 6k and hold it till 8k that would be better
Depends on what you were doing. I'd prefer my power closer to my redline, so each shift drops me back in the meat of my powerband.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Hoooper

if you peak at 6k and hold to 8, then everytime you shift youll be in a really fat part of the power. if you peak at 7.5 or 8, then youre shifting into the curve before the meat
Old 07-19-2008, 08:03 PM
DarkZ03

I dont have it mixed up, but you have to realize that if you shift the power up in the powerband low end torque will decrease, I am not a big fan of that on a DD.
I had a high revving car before and I hated having the need to rev the hell out of it to get it to move.
I love my healthy 200+ ftlbs of torque to the wheels @ 2500 rpm, so yeah if I was to build a N/A for a DD I would try to maximize the car for the 3-6k range, while still being reliable and be able to run on pump gas.
On the flip side if I was making a race only car with no compromises my build list would probably go something like this:

Sleeved block
Nismo crankshaft
forged rods
98mm pistons with 12:1 cr.
Nismo oil pump
Cosworth heads
JWT C-9 camshafts
Nismo cam sprockets
Custom ITBs
All this with a 9500 rpm redline should be good for lets say, 375 whp.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:19 PM
racerfreakxxx

listen guys i'm nto using the car for drag... it's the last thing on my mind. I'm looking to use it for drifting... and i was thinking more of a 6k or a 6.5k peak power with a 8k rev limit would be ideal if i'm gonna stick in a gear through a turn and just be reving the hell out of the car... if i am goin straight i'm not going to be shifting at 8k to gain speed just to drop at 6.5/7k

oh and when i do internals it's not going to be a dd any more or even a street car
Old 07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sleeved block
Nismo crankshaft
forged rods
98mm pistons with 12:1 cr.
Nismo oil pump
Cosworth heads
JWT C-9 camshafts
Nismo cam sprockets
Custom ITBs
All this with a 9500 rpm redline should be good for lets say, 375 whp.
How many real life VQ NA builds have you done again?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM
rednezz

I dont have it mixed up, but you have to realize that if you shift the power up in the powerband low end torque will decrease
Thats why there is variable cam timing so you can advance or retard your cams to keep your low end torque and yet still make power on the high end.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
DarkZ03

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
How many real life VQ NA builds have you done again?
Whats wrong with my #?
You have never built one with those exact parts have you?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats wrong with my #?
You have never built one with those exact parts have you?
In a general sense, you're making a mistake alot of people do, especially when they don't have alot of engine builds under their belt, and even moreso when they are relying on a hokey dyno program to give you any meaningful finite answer. Your parts list sounds great on paper, but you've made 0 allotment for tuning, which is what will separate your great parts list from being stellar, vs being an "also ran". This, coupled with many other factors you fail to mention, is what your computer program cannot take into account, yet it's equally as important as the final list of parts you choose. In other words, your suggestion of 375 is, at best, a guess.

Power that rises to redline does not need to compromise low, mid or high end torque either.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-22-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 PM
KA24DE

Originally Posted by racerfreakxxx
listen guys i'm nto using the car for drag... it's the last thing on my mind. I'm looking to use it for drifting... and i was thinking more of a 6k or a 6.5k peak power with a 8k rev limit would be ideal if i'm gonna stick in a gear through a turn and just be reving the hell out of the car... if i am goin straight i'm not going to be shifting at 8k to gain speed just to drop at 6.5/7k

oh and when i do internals it's not going to be a dd any more or even a street car
How do you figure? Most (factory stock) cars have peak power closer to redline, and at most 1000rpm away, and sure as hell not 1500.

Quick Reply: Plans For My NA Build