Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

279whp with just intake / exh on The Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
BaTMan_4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing
Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
oscatipo

louder than ww2. would love to have this.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oscatipo
louder than ww2. would love to have this.
i would for a weekend warrior but not a DD. If i drove to zdayz with that exhaust i would half to take breaks every 10 mins
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Justin@IOS
Sponsor
IOS Performance

Very cool. A friend of mine makes custom headers with burns stainless parts and they're gorgeous. I've been bugging him to make a true long tube set for the VQ's for a while now, but I know it's pretty far down on his list at the moment.

Were these headers tuned for the stock cams, or would they do even better on a car with bigger cams, etc... ?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These headers are designed for a cammed car and will make the most gains with a mild to aggressive cam, however I'm wondering if an even more aggressive piping size is something in the future for the supercharged guys.

1 3/4 all the way through or even 1 3/4 with a step to 1 7/8 could be considered, but that is very large for a primary pipe! It will be something to toy with in the future for sure.

I'll go ahead and try the car again with a high flow cat in the y-pipe, a muffler shouldn't create any restriction however so I likely will not add one. I would venture a guess that a good high flow cat would only cost 4-5 ft lbs of torque across the band.

The prototype header is now at the bending place getting all of the bends produced in volume, to the exact angle and radius, we'll simply have to cut and weld each peice together once we get the tubes back, weld on our collectors and we will be good to go. The only peice of the puzzle left on the table is mass producing the end formed tubes to match the exhaust port shape on the head in such a manner that it slips into our flange, is welded and then machined smooth.

Will keep you guys updated as things occur. Collector supplier will most likely be SPD Exhaust, but also talking to Burns!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM
medstudent25

this car is ridiculously loud... in for updates
Old 11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Talking to SPD about collectors now, the tubes should be ready in a week and a half or so. Look for the first finalized set to be complete in 2-3 weeks!

I'm so excited about this project, I just wish it wasn't costing so much money

If anyone has any ideas on how to laser cut flanges for less than 25$ per flange (we need 8 flanges per set of headers), please PM me.

Thanks, look forward to getting this out there for you guys!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Collectors are ordered, looks like SPD will be the collector supplier. They are great to deal with and have awesome collectors that match the quality of burns/coast

Shouldn't be long now!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 AM
kihun

subscribing..
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
t0mills

In for the final product.

-Tim
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
sleak

Damn. These are going to be expensive if they actually go into production.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
KS0385

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should make some Headers for the HR's.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
runnun

get rid of the pulstar plugs they are garbage! I had them and 10,000 miles later they gave me misfires. pulled them to find that the tips where burnt and some didnt even have tips. Also I hope you have a bypass for that cai? its sitting very low to the ground.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by SGSash
Collectors are ordered, looks like SPD will be the collector supplier. They are great to deal with and have awesome collectors that match the quality of burns/coast

Shouldn't be long now!
good collectors are often pricey... I'm considering looking for something to replace on Crawfords... do you mind telling cost? (of just the merge collectors)....
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Depending on the size and material, the retail of the merge collectors from SPD are about 290$ each, plus 30$ for a transition peice (from 2.25" to 2.5"), plus a 20$ weld fee for the collector to transition peice. These are all from the top of my memory, not exact.

More details are available on SPD's website they have a full price list there, I'm sure they would be happy to build you whatever you need for your application, they were super helpful when I was talking to them. Talk to Dana for sales she was very good, Chris is the owner talk to him about technical stuff.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by runnun
get rid of the pulstar plugs they are garbage! I had them and 10,000 miles later they gave me misfires. pulled them to find that the tips where burnt and some didnt even have tips. Also I hope you have a bypass for that cai? its sitting very low to the ground.
I also have not been impressed with Pulstars, when removing the coilpacks from the racecar the coils bound to the plugs (as they have a larger diameter to fit their circuitry) and ended up tearing the boots off of the coils. I now either need new coils entirely, or hopefully I can buy just the boots. Frustrating to say the least.

I've also seen failures on Turbo applications. Pulstars are a good idea, but should have stayed in the development stage a little longer before coming out on the market. They are a good way to advance timing 2-3 degrees at high RPM in modern distributorless ignition sytems if you have no means or no plans for tuning, but I will agree they are prone to problems.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
OCG35
Banned

Depending on the size and material, the retail of the merge collectors from SPD are about 290$ each, plus 30$ for a transition peice (from 2.25" to 2.5"), plus a 20$ weld fee for the collector to transition peice. These are all from the top of my memory, not exact.

More details are available on SPD's website they have a full price list there, I'm sure they would be happy to build you whatever you need for your application, they were super helpful when I was talking to them. Talk to Dana for sales she was very good, Chris is the owner talk to him about technical stuff.
Thanks for the info

And yes, Pulse plugs have been riddled with problems (as stated all over various forums) - a while back the "supposed" CEO was trying to do damage control here and/or on driver... it was a debacle.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Collectors came in today, they are absolutely gorgeous. Back purged, beautiful welds, polished and cleaned inside. Can't see one thing I would change personally!

Finished our 3.5" exhaust for the race car today, also got a 2.5" > 3.5" Y-Pipe from SPD exhaust that we will use with our header project. Using Vibrant 3.5" bends, mufflers, hangers and piping as well as V-Band clamps to allow for quick removal of the center section for emergency transmission changes!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

That is really awsome. Nice weld as well.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

I also have not been impressed with Pulstars, when removing the coilpacks from the racecar the coils bound to the plugs (as they have a larger diameter to fit their circuitry) and ended up tearing the boots off of the coils. I now either need new coils entirely, or hopefully I can buy just the boots. Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for info. Always wanted to know about pulstars.

Quick Reply: 279whp with just intake / exh on The Roadster