Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

279whp with just intake / exh on The Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribing. i need some serious NA power
Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I guess the biggest point that will separate, "I;d totally rock these" to "they are how much!?" is that ballpark price range.

I'd assume ~$1500 for the headers, maybe $400 for a 3.5" with a muffler?

any ideas yet on cost?
remember how much the Crawfords were, and... 400 for an exhaust? wtf.

I am guessing around 2,500 for the headers (since they basically include the Y pipe and look really well made) and then a decent Y-back exhaust would be another 800.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Smasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Sasha!

I hope to here these in person in a few weeks
Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

local shop can do a 3.5" straight pipe for $400. but you are prolly quite right on the headers.

Originally Posted by Motormouth
remember how much the Crawfords were, and... 400 for an exhaust? wtf.

I am guessing around 2,500 for the headers (since they basically include the Y pipe and look really well made) and then a decent Y-back exhaust would be another 800.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
Y-Pipe won't be included according to this statement...

Originally Posted by SGSash
This first set is actually for a racing team, so we mocked them up on our race car and they are infact not designed to work with the factory Y-Pipes, contrary to what we are designing these for.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM
scmtkings4

^^+1

i dont think they were designing the headers to include a y pipe portion
Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
d1mon3k

Cool
Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
rbfd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are reasonable I will definately be in for one of the first batch and will be selling my nismo's.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Guys thanks so much for the input it really means a lot and it is nice to know all the hard work we put into these things is enjoyed by the rest of the community!

Even if I was allowed to post pricing details, I haven't finalized my means of production yet, so I have no way of telling what the price is going to be, or when the first batch would be available.

But I promise we are going to produce them and get them out there, if not only because I am curious to see the kinds of gains other people can get with many different kinds of setups, I would imagine a supercharged car would see incredible gains in this department with a 3.5" exhaust.

We will not be offering an exhaust system unless we find there is a big demand for a 3.5" custom track only exhaust system, in which case we could consider producing something whereby we would use the primaries from our header system, but a custom y-pipe section, merge collector and 3.5" exhaust exactly the same as the one pictured on the previous page.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 PM
waZZup

specs on the headers .. pls ..

tube size inlet and outlet .. thanks .. good job ..

any engine management ??
Old 01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
scmtkings4

what i wonder is what kind of gains we would see from the headers

you got 313 with your custom exhaust set up

im interested in seeing what these headers with an aftermarket exhaust...say nismo for example would result in
Old 01-08-2009, 06:37 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Well our roadster saw 30whp with the header change on an entirely stock revup engine, it only had a cold air intake, y-pipe (nismo) and a 3" single custom exhaust. I would imagine many other free-flowing exhausts would net the same gains - although I believe single exhausts make more power than duals, unless they have a well tuned X-pipe.

Check out the first page in this thread!

As for the header sizing it is on previous pages, but the production sizing will be 1 3/4 intially and step into 1 7/8 with a 1 7/8 collector.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

realistically, the price of these header will drive 99% of the wannabes on this thread away.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Motormouth
Banned

yes, people need to be realistic.

though, those welds... look beautiful. the fab work looks very nice.

and I totally agree about a single exhaust. and they are usually lighter, and cheaper, all things being equal (materials, manufacturer)
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by str8dum1
realistically, the price of these header will drive 99% of the wannabes on this thread away.
+1... also, smog issues will be a concern for most. That’s why I sated if I had a dedicated track car I'd be all over them - and yes, I would pay the price.

But for the majority of us out here with street cars that are occasionally tracked, I doubt there will be many that actually pull the trigger.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OCG35
+1... also, smog issues will be a concern for most. That’s why I sated if I had a dedicated track car I'd be all over them - and yes, I would pay the price.

But for the majority of us out here with street cars that are occasionally tracked, I doubt there will be many that actually pull the trigger.
For sure, this was also a concern of mine.

However I see how well test pipes are selling and I wonder.

But more than anything I want the N/A VQ35 community to grow like it has with Honda's, there is something different about trying to extract every last HP with a naturally aspirated engine. Somehow, its just too easy with a boosted car - select the right components, raise boost to target power level, fix what breaks (if anything), enjoy. When I say this I obviously am not talking about the four digit drag racing guys either, so don't take this the wrong way. I'm talking about the 300-400whp street car/track day/racing guys.

Don't get me wrong though, I love and always will love turbo cars, but the effort you have to put in to extract N/A power its somehow satisfying. Plus I don't think you can beat the sound, response or reliability of a properly built and tuned N/A engine.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But more than anything I want the N/A VQ35 community to grow like it has with Honda's, there is something different about trying to extract every last HP with a naturally aspirated engine. Somehow, its just too easy with a boosted car - select the right components, raise boost to target power level, fix what breaks (if anything), enjoy. When I say this I obviously am not talking about the four digit drag racing guys either, so don't take this the wrong way. I'm talking about the 300-400whp street car/track day/racing guys.

Don't get me wrong though, I love and always will love turbo cars, but the effort you have to put in to extract N/A power its somehow satisfying. Plus I don't think you can beat the sound, response or reliability of a properly built and tuned N/A engine.
Now that's what I am talking about. That's why I have focused on weight reduction, suspension, etc. first. I've been waiting for more NA development to come along. I can't wait to see what you guys can add to the NA community.

Last edited by Rickdogg; 01-09-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
OCG35
Banned

Amen brother! You're preaching to the quire!!! I've taken the NA challenge too

As for test pipes - it’s super easy to swap them out for cats when its time to smog... uninstalling and reinstalling long tube headers isn’t quite as swift.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone - I friggen love these headers! I just wish I had an application to use them on.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautifully put! (wipes tear from eye)

Quick Reply: 279whp with just intake / exh on The Roadster