Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

DIY total N/A backyard build

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:10 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck on this! Hope everything lines up for you. Is that the stock Y-pipe and is that what you are currently using on your car?
Old 07-29-2009, 06:20 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually took a bunch of measurements and am only doing one side at a time to have a reference point. Its my stock y pipe, the nismo one is on the car. I have another y pipe that doesn't have flex sections that will only bolt up if they are right.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice....I am excited to see the difference these make on a motor that warrants it...
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Let the nightmare begin....
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
The little ring of metal was how uneven the piping was as it was part of one of the primaries
[IMG][/IMG]
They aren't megans anymore.....
[IMG][/IMG]
If you look at the bottom tube and how it comes up short, so nice. At least the left side header looks like the pipes are somewhat even. I can't wait til my collector kit gets here, this is fun.
RIGHT ON!

Experimentation and exploration is where the real fun starts.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!

Now that's what I call a mod!

-jb
Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 AM
1cockyZ

Nice....I am excited to see the difference these make on a motor that warrants it...
You will be the one dynoing them. Vince is also the guy who planted this seed in my head. One of his guys installed them and the gains were ridiculous.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 AM
gabe3d

You will be the one dynoing them. Vince is also the guy who planted this seed in my head. One of his guys installed them and the gains were ridiculous.
What kinda gains did this guy see? Is it anything like SGash?
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
1cockyZ

What kinda gains did this guy see? Is it anything like SGash?
No, but 16whp and 30wtq over stock headers/test pipes. Those sg headers are absolutely beautiful but you guys need to pay closer attention to that thread and those headers aren't magical. Will say this, I am confident that I will have over 280rwtq if I pick up a couple peak hp thats great to. I am doing this collector upgrade, going over to RT tuning and dynoing. Then I will show if this idea totally sucked or not, I will also list the price of every part I purchased. I already showed using the revup lower plenum was not a good decision.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:26 PM
gabe3d

No, but 16whp and 30wtq over stock headers/test pipes. Those sg headers are absolutely beautiful but you guys need to pay closer attention to that thread and those headers aren't magical. Will say this, I am confident that I will have over 280rwtq if I pick up a couple peak hp thats great to. I am doing this collector upgrade, going over to RT tuning and dynoing. Then I will show if this idea totally sucked or not, I will also list the price of every part I purchased. I already showed using the revup lower plenum was not a good decision.
Wow that would be an ungodly amount of torque gain, when do you plan to get this thing rocking?

It's great that you keep detailed logs of your upgrades in this thread, I'm sure many people including myself have found it very useful. Unfortunately even if you list out all the parts you used to build these headers, most of us don't have your DIY skills to put them together. I know for sure i don't.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 PM
whitez33350ztt

hey i live in monmouth county new jersey, i have a 2003 350z with injen td exhaust, injen cai, brian crower stage 2 cams, plenum spacer, kinetix high flow cats, megan racing headers, and aam custom reflash and dynoed with 20 inch rims and tires on a dyno dynamics and got 285whp, 262 wtq i was thinking about uprev reflash at r/t tuning, do u thin i can sqeeuze some more power out? also cocky how much is this reflash in total with dyno tuning
Old 08-02-2009, 07:10 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by whitez33350ztt
hey i live in monmouth county new jersey, i have a 2003 350z with injen td exhaust, injen cai, brian crower stage 2 cams, plenum spacer, kinetix high flow cats, megan racing headers, and aam custom reflash and dynoed with 20 inch rims and tires on a dyno dynamics and got 285whp, 262 wtq i was thinking about uprev reflash at r/t tuning, do u thin i can sqeeuze some more power out? also cocky how much is this reflash in total with dyno tuning
Which shop did you get the dyno and reflash from? And is this with the Megan's Long Tube headrs or Shorties?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 PM
1cockyZ

PM Vince at RT tuning he posted right above you, 285whp on a dd would make your car faster than mine, what kind of mph you turn in 1/4? Gabe as far as my diy skills I can only hack and tack the real welding will be done by a professional, then I will perform the janitorial duties of polishing all internal welds. Although maybe I should learn to tig for fun....been talking about it for years now....I bought this book on welding and read it, I have miged up a downpipe, catback, intercooler piping but I need this done right cause getting the headers in and out is hell.

Last edited by 1cockyZ; 08-02-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

PM Vince at RT tuning he posted right above you, 285whp on a dd would make your car faster than mine, what kind of mph you turn in 1/4? Gabe as far as my diy skills I can only hack and tack the real welding will be done by a professional, then I will perform the janitorial duties of polishing all internal welds. Although maybe I should learn to tig for fun....been talking about it for years now....I bought this book on welding and read it, I have miged up a downpipe, catback, intercooler piping but I need this done right cause getting the headers in and out is hell.
If you can mig, you can learn to TIG fairly easily. Making it really pretty takes practice, but you seem to know what's going on, you'll be fine

Congrats on the build, i'm looking forward to seeing the results on the header mods. I was really impressed by the lower end gain from the plenum swap as well
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by whitez33350ztt
On an aam flash and stock short block . You should see some gains from the uprev, and in particular some added partial throttle gains.

1cockyZ: what is your time table to have these installed? I can't wait to see the final pics after they are finish being fab'd up.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 AM
1cockyZ

The collectors should be here tomorrow. So the bodies/cones need to be cut and tacked. To speed it up I need to cut off the other collector to get the merge bullets tacked up on both sides then its off to the welder. Then I need to install them on to the car to position the collector bodies and y pipe flanges, uninstall and give them back to the welder. Then install them finally, thats if I don't go with ceramic coating which will take more time. I will probably skip coating them as its a large part of the total cost and nothing is coated now so it wouldn't be a good comparison.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM
whitez33350ztt

if im at 285 now, i see that uprev messes with the valve timing and stuff, i hope that really helps and corrects my air to fuel im looking to break 290s ,, with a stock bottom end!! uprev makes some great numbers n/a
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
whitez33350ztt

i meant cam timing
Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Where did you dyno? Mind posting your dyno....I'd like to see your power curve.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
gabe3d

I'm very curious as well to see a graph, those numbers on a DD with 20" are out of this world given that you have a stock short block, no VVT adjustment, therefore no additional power pass stock, and not fully tuned. If you do have some dynos a baseline would be also good.

In any case, if your car is not fully tuned and only has a generic flash then there is no doubt that you will gain more power going with a custom Osiris Tune. And on that dyno you will surely break 290.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic thread I dont know how I missed it. Adam @ Z1 let me borrow this great racecar mag that explains everything cocky has been saying about header design and scavenging. I'm going to try and scan the article post it so people who dont understand can read it.

Its a sick article.

Quick Reply: DIY total N/A backyard build