Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for some before/after dyno plots
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice on the exhaust, you gonna love the sound. Did you get the Shockwave V2 with the side resonator? Would like to hear your impressions when you get it on your car, when I ran it on my car it was insane. Also any word on the dyno chart and a stock number comparison?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Good choice on the exhaust, you gonna love the sound. Did you get the Shockwave V2 with the side resonator? Would like to hear your impressions when you get it on your car, when I ran it on my car it was insane. Also any word on the dyno chart and a stock number comparison?
My setup will be the standard MD shockwave dual ti as seen on the website:

but between the XYZ pipe and resonated dual mid pipe will be the xyz straight pipe:

Does that answer your question?

I've heard a few MD setups, one in person, and I could not believe how good it sounded. I'm also hoping to free up a few more horses with the larger piping.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
gabe3d

Yeah, just a heads up though in case you didn't follow the thread where rcdash did the test. The Shockwave V2 should be done with production this or next week and I think it would be very worthwhile for you to upgrade to that instead of the currently available one. Shockwave is best word i can use to describe the feeling you get in your heard.

Have you ridden in a car with it yet?

Last edited by gabe3d; 01-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys just saw this tread trolling at 11:30 on a Friday night.... If its ok with jonathan i can post the dyno plots when i get back into the shop Monday.

What dyno plots you wanna see...stock Revup vs Modded Revup vs Jonathans dyno?? I pretty much have just about every common Z configuration dyno...
Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning
Hey guys just saw this tread trolling at 11:30 on a Friday night.... If its ok with jonathan i can post the dyno plots when i get back into the shop Monday.

What dyno plots you wanna see...stock Revup vs Modded Revup vs Jonathans dyno?? I pretty much have just about every common Z configuration dyno...
Vince,

Post up whatever you have. I'm eager to see gains and comparisons. Can't wait to see the final numbers... thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:04 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do a layover with my car if you want with sae correction cause the conditions weren't very good for my 307 run. What does a 3" RT maf look like? The megan longtube collectors are 2.5" at least mine are. I am just curious to see the differences in setup to power.

Last edited by 1cockyZ; 01-23-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
You can do a layover with my car if you want with sae correction cause the conditions weren't very good for my 307 run. What does a 3" RT maf look like? The megan longtube collectors are 2.5" at least mine are. I am just curious to see the differences in setup to power.
Well, yours are because you engineered them that way, correct? I thought I read that form the factory, they have 2.25" collectors.

I don't think the oversize valves made much of a positive change and they probably hurt peak hp. I'm uncertain of what positive effect if any it provides for NA application. How would it affect idle or low end torque? To provide benefit, Vince had suggested a sc setup w a milder pulley.

I have the old long block. Could I engineer the heads (w a multi-angle valve job) to bolt up to this current block if I was that curious?

Last edited by kacz07; 01-23-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:16 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check my thread. They came with 2.5" collectors. I didn't engineer anything, I can barely work an iphone. Bigger valves can have this shrouding thingy but I have no idea how it would affect you or if at +1mm there is any detrimental effects to the power curve. Lets see when the chart is posted. Your build should poo all over mine.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
gabe3d

About the oversize valves, this is something I was thinking of but after research and some convincing from Rebello I chose not to. Air Velocity and valve fill are just as important, if not more, then cfm.

Btw, how is the noise level now with your current setup?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by gabe3d
About the oversize valves, this is something I was thinking of but after research and some convincing from Rebello I chose not to. Air Velocity and valve fill are just as important, if not more, then cfm.

Btw, how is the noise level now with your current setup?
Sadly, I have not made it up to the shop to hear it yet. Vince said the Borla really sounded like it was choking up the engine and did not sound particularly complimentary. I'm really hoping that the MD translates well with my setup. I don't see why it wouldn't.

The valves were somewhat of an unknown. They're the same valves used in the Cosworth block package, so I figured I'd give them a shot. At this point, it seems like FI will be the only way to take advantage of them.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 AM
xmarine72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
Vq35hr pistons will fit with the sides of them milled down and give around 11.5:1 compression. A set from nissan with rings and everything is like 350$ machine work maybe 100$ or less.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...hout-mods.html

I'd question that.. I dont feel confident they were installed correctly. Just as an FYI
Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
kacz07

Motordyne exhaust installed...louded thing I've ever heard in my life.

Interested to see how the larger diameter pipes and exhaust design help with hp/tq throughout the powerband.

Since the LTs have a 2.5" outlet and were previously routed to 2.25" borla td pipes into a muffler then out, I'm curious to see how they respond to a 2.5" MD XYZ pipe to 3" outlet back to a 2.5 true dual. Vince had speculated that the pipe size, baffles, and bends in the borla choked up the engine.

Anyone have any input/guesstimates on further gains?

I know Adam always talks about the intake/header relationship, but unrestricting the remainder of the exhaust has to play a role.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
gabe3d

Luckily there is a solution for the loud exhaust, but it'll cost more money unfortunately.

That would be interesting to see if the MD exhaust helps you out or not.

Btw, did you ever get those dyno of your car compared to a stock and cockyz?
Old 02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

What was the reason for an n/a build? Track events? Nice to see another n/a build either way!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 AM
kacz07

Correction factors:

SAE:286whp/260wtq
STD:296whp/270wtq
N/A:303whp/275wtq

My thoughts:

Hmmm... to be critical... I'm pretty unimpressed. With all the work done, I would've expected more, but this is the Borla TD setup. Despite that, I feel that the powerband does not particularly reflect the qualities expected from the cams and the cosworth manifold. Having Megan Racing long tube headers, instead of crawfords or nismos, is an unknown at this point, but I would have assumed they would shift the powerband right.

This is a Dynojet, but the numbers still seem low. I would like to see more comparisons. Checking w/ __jb's build, I too feel like the issue is on the intake side.

THE BIG QUESTION: How will the motordyne exhaust modulate peak power and powerband? If I have made the proper conclusions from Hydrazine's research on the relationship between hp/tq and y pipe properties, you can manipulate the powerband, but not necessarily affect peak values.

If peak HP values do not differ, what changes will we find in torque? Although my expectations are off by 10-15whp , I am certainly not expecting such an increase of with this exhaust without sacrificing torque, let alone making any more power at all.

What happens if it stops taking a crap after ~6.5k rpm and actually gives me a courtesy flush to 7k rpm? That's a rhetorical question...

If the dynos don't change at all, doesn't that again suggest that we're not getting enough air? Very interested in seeing what developments SG makes in their manifold research.

What would revisions to the fuel system do?

Last edited by kacz07; 02-11-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Those numbers do seem low for a dynojet...ill post up a chart of mine. It seems like you are running out of steam quick after 6200.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
kacz07

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Those numbers do seem low for a dynojet...ill post up a chart of mine. It seems like you are running out of steam quick after 6200.
Tell me about it...

With JWT C8R cams (272 in/ex), I really expected it to shine with the Cosworth manifold, but I got nothing but severe drop off. Is it possible they're too big?

The powerband looks similar to __jb's, but vastly differnt from jmcarty. Aside from the cams, he and I have a very similar setup. __jb's lacks the oversize valves, but has the same cams as me, yet I don't have the peak or the powerband of either. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but it just doesn't add up.

Both jmcarty and I have the oversize valves, since his are included in the Cosworth heads and I'm assuming a similar valve job and flow rate given the overlapping components.

I'm kind of scratching my head. The numbers seem on par or only slighter higher than a de w/ full bolt ons. I'm really hoping Vince has more left in the tune to fully take advantage of the cam timing. Hoping he and Osiris have a little more up the sleeve.

Last edited by kacz07; 02-12-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
gabe3d

Interestingly enough, your power curve seems very similar in shape to 1cockyz, eventhough his setup is quite different than yours. Also like you've prolly notice, __jb also experienced a shift in peak power to where you are currently at after switching over to the cosworth.

Though this may be insignificant in context of your build, but from some testing done with my old and new engine the cosworth made power past 7k rpm.

Last edited by gabe3d; 02-11-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

I am running the S7 cams, Cosworth plenum, Crawford headers, custom dual 3 inch exhaust and standard size ferrea valves...among several other things and I dont have that kind of drop off... I am on the haltech and it has been awesome! Note that top end power was our goal since its a road course car so we werent concerned with back pressure. Have you considered ditching the Osiris?

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 02-11-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP