Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP

I have been scouring the forums for as much information as possible. I've spoken to many vendors, members, and researched many different websites for my build and I've finally pulled the trigger on an naturally aspirated built VQ35DE RevUp motor. Although there are many reputable builders on this site, I found the best combination of components, price, and reputation in Kyle@ImportPartsPro. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed their advice and components.

We broke ground today!

I hope to have the complete build as it comes along and post pictures for your reference. My goals are modest and I'm looking to put down a reliable 300whp. From what I've read, it's well within my reach. I realize I may need to revise my fuel system and radiator along with a few other components before I get this system running at full steam, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Car has been tuned at RT Tuning.

Complete long block purchased from Tim@SpeedForceRacing. Thanks, Tim!

Components from intake to Exhaust:

Stock 2006 Factory airbox w/ high flow filter from AFE
(JWT PopCharger (ConceptZPerformance))removed
Z1 3" MAF Housing
(Custom RT Tuning 3inch MAF)removed
MD 5/16th" spacer w/ MRev2
(Cosworth Manifold (Sharif@Forged))removed
Nismo Radiator Cap
Koyo R-core radiator
Nismo thermostat
Samco hoses
GTM oil cooler
Ferrea +1mm Oversize Valve train
JWT C8R Camshafts
HR Head Gaskets
NGK Iridium tipped spark plugs (one step colder)
Wiseco 96mm 11.5:1 Pistons
-.020mm overbore
-ceramic coated
Eagle H-beam rods
ARP L19 Head Studs
ARP Main Stud kit
ACL Trust Washers
ACL Main Bearings
ACl Road Bearings
Engine Gasket Kit
Rear Main Seal Retainer

Engine Component Work:
-Block inspected and cleaned
-Block redecked
-Block Bored and Honed using a Torque Plate
-Rotating assembly balanced
-Crank magnafluxed
-Journals micro-polished
-Heads inspected and cleaned
-Heads redecked
-Ported exhaust and intake runners
-5 angle radius cut valve job
-Bowl work
-Valve stem seals installed
-Valve Stem Heights set
-Cold Clearance set for JWT cams
-Heads assembled

SG Long tube headersCOMING SOON
Megan Racing long tube headers
Motordyne Shockwave dual ti exhaust w/ XYZ straight pipe
UpRev Osiris Pro Tuner (w/ exhaust cam phasing)

Follow my exterior thread here:
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...-v2-front.html

I'll be keeping my stock components and current engine for my 240z Project car.

Thanks for following along!

Dyno 2/10

Dyno 8/10

Uncorrected: ~310hp/286tq
STD: 303.42hp/280.34tq
SAE: ~293hp/274tq

**Please note: Run conditions: 91.73, 29.71in-Hg, 47% humidity**

Dyno 4/11
Injen/Cosworth/SG (Uncorrected CF)
This higher 2 lines were in 4th/5th gear, peak respective. The low was one of my old Mrev2/spacer runs. Almost 50whp at redline of 7800rpm!

Conclusion: SG headers made ~15whp (286 vs. 302 SAE corrected) on the Cosworth/Megan LTH setup. I wonder what would happen if I ported the Mrev2 and increased the spacer.

Last edited by kacz07; 12-15-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

No headwork?
Old 07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
tuko316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
No headwork?
i hope he just forgot to mention that lol.

good luck with your build! looks like your getting some quality parts.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vq35hr pistons will fit with the sides of them milled down and give around 11.5:1 compression. A set from nissan with rings and everything is like 350$ machine work maybe 100$ or less.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...hout-mods.html
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
KA24DE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you need Rods?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 PM
1cockyZ

I see a lot money spent in places it doesn't need to be and not enough in others. Good luck at least you will get a great tune. Ask vince to give an overlay versus my car just so people can see the differences different parts make in the curve.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM
kacz07

Was wondering how you could modify them since other parts are compatible. Did not know that.

Originally Posted by rocks
Vq35hr pistons will fit with the sides of them milled down and give around 11.5:1 compression. A set from nissan with rings and everything is like 350$ machine work maybe 100$ or less.
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...hout-mods.html
Old 07-04-2009, 04:39 PM
kacz07

Bump. Updated all machine and engine work.

Considered 11.5 CR but thought I'd be pushing it in regards to tuning, etc. I'd probably only get a few extra horses, but risk detonation using pump gas.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:40 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by KA24DE
Why do you need Rods?
A little lighter. I'm also going to rev it past 7k...how far? I don't know yet, but I think I should be able to handle 8k.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
I see a lot money spent in places it doesn't need to be and not enough in others. Good luck at least you will get a great tune. Ask vince to give an overlay versus my car just so people can see the differences different parts make in the curve.
Explain where I could put more money please. Your build looks pretty similar to mine.

This is only the beginning, but I think I chose components pretty well. The valve train is a little pricey, but after a discussion with Kyle and Ferrea, I felt the lighter weights and small improvement in flow would help to make a little more power and put less stress on the engine.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:46 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense, but I see A LOT of money for NOT a lot of power... Good Luck!!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 AM
kacz07

Originally Posted by SlideFox
No offense, but I see A LOT of money for NOT a lot of power... Good Luck!!
Eh, I dunno. I guess that's what usually happens with NA builds.

I bought the headers, cats, exhaust, and osiris for a hundred more than the price of the headers brand new, so I can't help but feel I did well there.

I know the Cosworth is an expensive piece, but I think it will compliment the valves, cams, high CR pistons, and headwork.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I've seen anyone try oversize valves on an NA build. Worst case scenario, I'll upgrade to ITBs hehe

Last edited by kacz07; 07-05-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:54 AM
1cockyZ

L19 head studs, arp main studs. The valve train, sadly for n/a the only thing these heads need besides some port work and a good valve job is the jwt springs. You actually upped the stress in the engine with stiffer valve springs. You could have spent more on pistons and rods to shave another 2lbs off the rotating weight. Cosworth manifold for N/A application I am still waiting for someone to prove it works. Of course the guy at ferrea told you what to buy. Also please look up what a five angle and what a radius cut valve job is because they are not the same. I would not do my build the same way if I were to do it over. long tube headers if you want anywhere near the power the cams and all the other stuff is capable of, get on the phone or email supersprint get some info or just get the crawfords. For anyone doing an engine build if you are using the hr headgaskets don't buy the engine gasket kit it ends up being a waste of money. I am sorry but it sounds like people just sold you on extras unless I missed where you said you were going to put a 300-400 shot on it. Cams are big can't wait to see the results; good luck. You might think I am nit picking but on a $7k build if you can shave $700 its like saving 10% and who turns down 10% off.

Last edited by 1cockyZ; 07-06-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM
rocks

Ive spun my engine too 8000 rpms with jwt springs. I would like to do another build with stock rods, arp bolts, and hr pistons. But im so far in it I just need to turbo my engine.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:45 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting parts selection... Very similar to my setup, including the JWT C8R cams and Cosworth plenum... I'm curious to see what kind of results you get...

I also chose ARP main and head bolts, but my plan was to add Nitrous if all my other plans fail... I'm still trying to figure out a few things, but I like fiddling around. It's been a fun project...

-jb
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
L19 head studs, arp main studs. The valve train, sadly for n/a the only thing these heads need besides some port work and a good valve job is the jwt springs. You actually upped the stress in the engine with stiffer valve springs. You could have spent more on pistons and rods to shave another 2lbs off the rotating weight. Cosworth manifold for N/A application I am still waiting for someone to prove it works. Of course the guy at ferrea told you what to buy. Also please look up what a five angle and what a radius cut valve job is because they are not the same. I would not do my build the same way if I were to do it over. long tube headers if you want anywhere near the power the cams and all the other stuff is capable of, get on the phone or email supersprint get some info or just get the crawfords. For anyone doing an engine build if you are using the hr headgaskets don't buy the engine gasket kit it ends up being a waste of money. I am sorry but it sounds like people just sold you on extras unless I missed where you said you were going to put a 300-400 shot on it. Cams are big can't wait to see the results; good luck. You might think I am nit picking but on a $7k build if you can shave $700 its like saving 10% and who turns down 10% off.
Thanks for the input

I forgot to mention...I AM running a 400 shot! JK JK. I agree some of the components seem a little overboard. Obviously no engine is bullet proof, but I think I'm bolstering it to handle more power down the road.

Nice looks on the supersprint headers. I was thinking about Xerds, but I couldn't find them anywhere. I didn't know anyone else made them, so settled with the Nismos to prevent any fitment probs, but those long tube headers are def something I'm going to look into. I'm scared that they don't list their prices tho

Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
kacz07

ordered wiseco custom 11.5:1 compression bump! From what I've been reading, I think the oversize valves will show up a little more with the extra compression. With a proper tune and the moly coating, I feel like I'd be covering my bases in terms of reducing detonation. I believe sparkplugs will also help too if anyone has any input on that.

For all looking into the supersprint long tube headers, they're 1500 and shipped from Italy.

http://www.supersprint.com/USPI0C5S17T238TR001.asp

They have them for HR motors too!

Contact info:
Jonathan Daniels
BMP Designs Inc
18006487278 ext 213
j.daniels@bmpdesign.com

Last edited by kacz07; 07-08-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can the supersprint headers fit or be modified to fit to our other choice exhausts? the immages show and state on their site that they are for their exhaust system, basically can we attach a flange to bolt up? would it work? has anyone tried? thanks. going to do a search right after this so i dont get chastised.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If those headers end anywhere near the end of the stock cat location it would only take minimal modification from a basic muffler shop to get those headers on.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM
kacz07

bump for needed components added!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP