Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish someone would make a intake manifold with the TB on the front like the LS engines...
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

would be great for sure, but by the time you're done re-engineering all the other various aspects of such a setup (phunk has it on his car, albeit FI), 0.0 people would actually buy it
Old 05-28-2010, 12:20 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tested the new kinetix manifold? It's a sound design and with the way its made you could put a monster inlet pipe on it.
About the whole maf placement. If you use a bellmouth/venturi ring you don't have to put it very far away at all. The stock sensor from what the mustang crowd has figured out doesn't like a bigger maf housing than a 75mm or 3" id. Check out vmp tuning. The 06' airbox venturi is small so thats going to be a choke point. If I was going to use a stock airbox I would cut and trim a venturi out of any filter with one cause they are rubber and then screw the rubber venturi into the box and then your are left with a place to put a pipe. If you are using an unflanged maf just put it there and run the samco off the back to the tb. This was going to be something I wanted to try to reduce the popcharger heat soak. Just an idea I had......FYI the id of 3" pipe is about 72mm the increase of cross sectional area going to 75mm id...8.51%
If the collectors on your headers are anywhere near as bad as the ones I cut up some of primaries have a very small hole to the colllector between the booger welds and poor bends to mash the collectors on. The stepped nismo ones would have made more power imo. With a slip on collector you might be able to swap them on the car, be a pita to get the welder over the top. Cone engineering makes affordable stainless kits. Or just go yard and buy the sg ones.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:43 PM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Has anyone tested the new kinetix manifold? It's a sound design and with the way its made you could put a monster inlet pipe on it.
About the whole maf placement. If you use a bellmouth/venturi ring you don't have to put it very far away at all. The stock sensor from what the mustang crowd has figured out doesn't like a bigger maf housing than a 75mm or 3" id. Check out vmp tuning. The 06' airbox venturi is small so thats going to be a choke point. If I was going to use a stock airbox I would cut and trim a venturi out of any filter with one cause they are rubber and then screw the rubber venturi into the box and then your are left with a place to put a pipe. If you are using an unflanged maf just put it there and run the samco off the back to the tb. This was going to be something I wanted to try to reduce the popcharger heat soak. Just an idea I had......FYI the id of 3" pipe is about 72mm the increase of cross sectional area going to 75mm id...8.51%
If the collectors on your headers are anywhere near as bad as the ones I cut up some of primaries have a very small hole to the colllector between the booger welds and poor bends to mash the collectors on. The stepped nismo ones would have made more power imo. With a slip on collector you might be able to swap them on the car, be a pita to get the welder over the top. Cone engineering makes affordable stainless kits. Or just go yard and buy the sg ones.
I looked through your thread two nights ago and saw how crappy the collectors were on your set and it made me wonder what I had on mine. I don't really have much power gain from then, maybe some torque. I think everyone but Gabe in the NA build section has reg short tubes and they were making same, if not, more power than me.

I have spoken to SG but they say they're so backed up it wouldn't be earlier than a few months before they had a set. They wouldn't even let me put a deposit on them.

Last edited by kacz07; 05-28-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not seen any test on the new Kinetix, I think everyone has a bad taste in their mouths from the first one.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
tuko316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id look into Speed Force Racing and see if they would make something for you guys. I have their manifold on my altima se-r and gained 30whp at redline and 5 over peak. 10wtq over peak aswell. I dyno'd the same dyno to see what the difference was between stock.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
1cockyZ

That altima sfr manifold looks a lot like the kinetix. Anyway log style manifolds are used on loads of cars. The sfr single isn't pictured for the z
Old 05-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately you're in a bit of trial and error mode with the headers, which sucks on such a hard to change component. The NISMO's are a sound design for a cam with the general specs yours has, though I can't say how they would play together, as I'm just not familiar first hand with the BC cams on an NA setup. The Megans in general look like poo (to me) - puny primaries, and the merge's blow. I guess to start with em and then hack em up to make something worthwhile could be done, but how much money you would save vs the time it takes is, to me, not worth it. Would be better off to just have a set made by someone who understands header design in the first place. All depends how much experimentation you're mind and wallet are willing to endure
Old 05-29-2010, 03:23 PM
kacz07

^I think the LTs will be a little easier to get off than the Nismos. With the size of the JWT C8Rs (272in/272ex), the SGs will really bring out the top of the powerband. They shouldn't be a bad install either as each tube is installed individually. Again, the SGs aren't going to be available for a little bit of time, so I want to get the Z on the road to enjoy it this summer and start discussing my plan of attack for an upgrade intake/exhaust.

Rome wasn't built in a day...
Old 05-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

a slip fit header will be far easier than a solid design. Other than that, I don't think you'll find much differences in install/removal

You can't tell anything by the advertised duration - it's a marketing thing and that's about it. Cams are a simple device that is quite complex at the same time. It's entirely possible to have, say, a "264" cam that is far nastier, has far power across the board, etc than a "272" cam
Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM
1cockyZ

Don't forget about the supersprints. http://www.supersprint.com/USP00nis350Z1.asp
http://www.supersprint.com/eng/SPP20000931001.asp
Euro went down so hopefully the price did as well. I was told they have 50mm primaries that are about 28-29" long.
On cams check the .050 number on duration for a little better idea of what your getting.

Last edited by 1cockyZ; 05-29-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 PM
kacz07

^True. I sent an email to the US rep for them about pricing last year. I am curious if they'll bolt up to the MD exhaust though. It says they're supposed to work in concert with the rest of their exhaust, but I would assume it would be OEM locations for everything.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
1cockyZ

Just make up some slip fit pipes with flanges to mate to the md. You will need 02 extension harnesses and another 02 bung right next to the flange. No big deal if your handy
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 AM
NismoZ123

Post NA Racing efforts

I think Nismo Heads were a starting point for these kinds of builds....

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/featur...2/z33_v35.html

The Nismo team made 340hp, the Tomei team made 350hp and so on, which might be near the limit with the existing intake configuration...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
kacz07

Originally Posted by NismoZ123
I think Nismo Heads were a starting point for these kinds of builds....

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/featur...2/z33_v35.html

The Nismo team made 340hp, the Tomei team made 350hp and so on, which might be near the limit with the existing intake configuration...
I guess this is relevant, but it seems only one team used a larger TB and intake/MAF tubing, which appear to be solid power gainers.

I can see what Adam is saying, seeing the relationship between the cam and header (i.e. Tomei cams with Tomei headers), but one team did combine Nismo and Tomei cam/headers.

On another note, I called JWT today and aside from them making an interesting suggestion that the Ferrea valvetrain might not be compatible with their camshafts (but what place isn't going to tell you to use their products?), I would have to believe that the headers might play a large role in the top end power. JWT suggested that the harmonics would be thrown off and that the seat pressure, etc might be off, too.

From what cam profiles would Ferrea design their valvetrain upon that wouldn't support a third party cam when they don't make cams themselves? I'd like to get their opinion.

Last edited by kacz07; 06-05-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 AM
NismoZ123

Default Stroke it

Stroke it to 3.8 or 4.2 liters!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM
kacz07

Originally Posted by NismoZ123
Stroke it to 3.8 or 4.2 liters!
You gonna sponsor me?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kacz07
I guess this is relevant, but it seems only one team used a larger TB and intake/MAF tubing, which appear to be solid power gainers.

I can see what Adam is saying, seeing the relationship between the cam and header (i.e. Tomei cams with Tomei headers), but one team did combine Nismo and Tomei cam/headers.

On another note, I called JWT today and aside from them making an interesting suggestion that the Ferrea valvetrain might not be compatible with their camshafts (but what place isn't going to tell you to use their products?), I would have to believe that the headers might play a large role in the top end power. JWT suggested that the harmonics would be thrown off and that the seat pressure, etc might be off, too.

From what cam profiles would Ferrea design their valvetrain upon that wouldn't support a third party cam when they don't make cams themselves? I'd like to get their opinion.
The brand is inconsequential - it's the math that matters. My setup isn't matched at all (Crawford and Tomei 268's) but it just happens to work well with one another. Other headers would have worked as well, though perhaps not quite as well. I went with these because they had a better overall primary length vs others on the market at the time. I've gone back and forth with changing the headers to a long tube design for a long time now, but I don't think it's my current choke point. So for now, they are staying in there. Even compared to the SG's, the Crawfords are not far apart length wise (Crawford might even be a touch longer, I have the figures written down someplace). The SG does it in a nicer package, so less heat soak, easier to install due to the individual runner design. The larger outlet diameter vs the Crawford is probably good for a few whp particularly up top as well, though it's still going to be cam dependant. The stepped design on the SG is a nice attribute as well. One day I'd love to do a back to back test of them both, would be neat to see how it shakes out.

I'd doubt that your cams/valves aren't compatible. I would say the valves were not needed, but it's in there, so it is what it is. While too stiff of a spring can cost you some power due to frictional losses, how much is hard to say....you would have to ask whomever put the engine together.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-07-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM
kacz07

^To be specific about the cams/valvetrain compatibility, JWT specifically noted that the seat pressure might be off or that the engine harmonics might be off as well. When I prompted them about finding headers that matched their cams, they actually referred me to SG Motorsport for design measurements, if not production themselves.

As for the tuning, they recommended I use the Osiris tuner program (which allows you to manipulate exhaust cam phasing on equipped vehicles, like a revup) and, IIRC, recommended to either fully retard (guess they never saw Tropic Thunder...) or shut them off. Looks like they give the same advice on the cam card:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf

I would like to follow up with them for clarification before I make any suggestions to Vince. As the forum knows, he is extremely knowledgeable with the UpRev Osiris program, so without talking specifics to him, it is likely he may have tried this cam tuning.

What I really need to do is get my final intake setup established and then really nail this tune down and spend the necessary time optimizing that setup, instead of flip flopping back and forth. Following up on the 3" MAF tube by GTM today.

Last edited by kacz07; 06-07-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: You never go full retard.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

we got some extra midrange power on my car this last time around playing with cam timing, though being a non revup, I can only do it on the intake side. Every cam has a sweet spot, and it's dependant on other factors as well. Being NA, it doesn't take long to dial it all though

My next 2 things involve the intake box of some sort, and then something my machinist mentioned to me, which I've yet to seen executed. With the rpm's I'm running, he thinks it will help quite a bit so I'm excited (will give details once it's done). I think the latter will be more towards winter time though, as it involves tearing into things a bit more than I feel like doing while the nice weather is here

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 06-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply: NA Build: Kacz07's 2006 SS 350z RevUP