Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

HR NA Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HR NA Build

I would like to.....
build a NA HR motor, rather work the one Ive got in my car. Need advice and help though on if it would work or what would need to be done.

Jun High Compression 11.7:1 Pistons
Carrillo Rods
Crankshaft?? Prob needed or no? Figured on doing everything at once, unless stock could hold up.
Tomei cams 280 11.3 in
280 11.0 ex
Tomei Valve Springs

Would one of our popular tuners be capable of tuning and helping get this running or would I need new ECU, Haltech ex. ?

Id also like to wait for sg motorsport longtube headers.

Any advice help or assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Please keep all newb chach comments for your mother or wife.

Update 6th July
Goal is to have fun, build a NA motor capable of 340 to the ground. Smooth power band. it'll be tracked occasionally maybe stripped too. mainly a custom pleasure vehicle.
I posted this because I've never done this before. I'm an elementary school teacher who has a lot of back ground knowledge in multiple speicalties, professions and subjects. No way an expert and there for I am asking, hoping the experts or individuals who have done this before or something simmilar would be willing to give me 2, possibly 3 cents. (the more the better, plus it'll help pay for all this )

Who makes pistons for the HR. Would it be better to get New heads or possible to rework old heads for Higher compression?
Nismo springs?? would they be able to hold up to the cams?

Last edited by Swimminggerman; 07-06-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You have partially stated your plans but nowhere in your post do I see you goal(s) and your expections after the build.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JUN does not make pistons for an HR, and Tomei's springs are not sufficient for those cams

what other crank would you/could you do aside from stock? Any other crank would mean doing a stroker, which itself has its own pistons/rods

tuning - you would need to ask shops locally to you
Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Swimminggerman

Last edited by Swimminggerman; 07-06-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
Goal is to have fun, build a NA motor capable of 340 to the ground. Smooth power band. it'll be tracked occasionally maybe stripped too. mainly a custom pleasure vehicle.
You need to find a builder/tuner who you think is capable of doing what you are seeking and essentially follow their instructions to the letter. By the way as far as I know their was yet to be anyone on these boards, who has posted, who has achieved 340 rwhp NA. You also need to read a lot more of the threads on this board related to NA builds, there is a ton of information that you could learn from.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Swimminggerman

So Stoked. just found out that Wiesco is in my former back yard. (Where Ill be moving back to temporarily via my Cali-Ohio road trip.) They are very capable of producing custom pistons to meet my needs. They also do rods and cranks, well their sister/skirt company in michigan does, but still totally excited. Now ill just find a machinest for the head work.

QUESTION????

If I go to someone who is familiar with tuning cars, would you recomend or say its ok that they tune the 350 with a haltech system and never touched one before. do you think they will know certain limits of motors and obviously not overwork or due the motor? Or should I stick with the 5-6 main companies here in the US that tune Z's. Will it make that much of a difference or is it just having the basic knowledge of tuning that will help.

also is it possible to get a base map from one of these other companies so the tuner has something to work from? cost? or free? just trying to figure all this out. Thanks for any help
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any company can make you the pistons if its not something they don't already have a part # for - the custom process is no different from anything else, it just takes a long time (6-8 weeks with most firms). That timeframe can usually be decreased with an increase in $

Tuning wise, ask whomever you intend to have tune it. The Haltech is not a total plug and play for the HR, additional rewiring is needed (we provide the instructions when you order). Base maps can also be provided
Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So are you moving to california, or staying in Hawaii? GTM would be somone i'd look into if you're going to cali as they have produced internals for an HR as well as be more than capable to do the work.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^gtm doenst make their own internals, they order then to be made to their specs

i'd go to a different shop for a build though, gtm charges up the *** and then some for labor
Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe i should restate that then. They have designed parts in-house and are manufactured through other companies like wiesco, produced for the HR..
Old 07-08-2009, 04:35 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really? where'd you get that info from? designing something like a piston from scratch is typically far beyond your average tuning shops (even a shop like gtm) scope. however, getting something made to your spec's is pretty common practice...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Swimminggerman

not sure, but thought about shipping to cali and having it build/tuned there then road trip back to the east coast. doubt id live in cali, less i found a teaching position or were to attend school with scholarship etc. id be up for it, but cheaper to move back in with parents for a year and get masters then head over to australia as was the plan for this year. thats if my school looses its charter and closes, otherwise uhh, i duno how im gona have it tuned. lol. deff not here on the big island.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Kwame

Out of curiosity how much are you budgeting to complete your build and achieve your goals?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If im not mistaken the hr crank is forged which means it should be strong enough for your goals.(even if it was cast it'd probly be ok honestly) the wiseco thing should help you. Uprev could be a viable solution, a stand-alone like haltech is better but more costly. It sound like you have the drive to do this but as kwame said why don't you research a little bit just to gain knowledge and not waste money on unecessary ****.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Swimminggerman

thats why im on the forum asking questions, calling companies, hoping for more response and information or assistance before one penny leaves my pocket. Budget??? hahaha im rich b*tch.

not really, im pricing everything together and getting all the information. Im expecting a bit under 10K with parts build and tune. do you all think thats about accurate? (thats why im asking again)
Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
thats why im on the forum asking questions, calling companies, hoping for more response and information or assistance before one penny leaves my pocket. Budget??? hahaha im rich b*tch.

not really, im pricing everything together and getting all the information. Im expecting a bit under 10K with parts build and tune. do you all think thats about accurate? (thats why im asking again)
You can expect to be spending well over 10k for this build if you plan on replacing the parts you have mentioned. From what I've guesstimated you are at about $7,000 just from your choice of rods, ecu (haltech), headers (guesstimated at $2300 since pricing hasn't been released but I have an idea what headers of that quality go for) and camshafts. You still need a few more parts unless you plan on doing rods and no pistons, no headwork, using the stock exhaust or not having the long block assembled or having it tuned. There are bunch of other things I am leaving off like valve springs, certain bearings, etc.

I'm saying this not to scare you off but to let you know that if you plan on doing a build like this and going all out that it WILL be VERY expensive. I would love to see a VQ35, regardless of what generation motor or what car it is in, hit 340whp on a legit dyno.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If you want to make 340rwhp on a stock displacement hr you better be able to figure this all out on your own, and you better be expecting standalone ecu.
10k?
You are gonna need more than 10k unless you want an untuned engine, that has more than a few stock parts inside.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Good luck sir, NA builds are fun
Old 08-16-2009, 02:43 PM
biggersNISMO

Any updates?
Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Swimminggerman

sorry, only update is that i paid off the car yesterday. Decided to do that first Still in the plans, along with relocating, masters degree, traveling, shipping vehicle to the mainland and maybe doing a cross coutry trek. But im glad i started the research early on with immense assistance and support from Z1 and many others. I know its crazy and possibly/probably just a dream however I was in contact with several people to perhaps atempt an ITB (yes Ive heard and read of the headaches and costs $$$$) however It would be fun non the less and very unique. I dont plan on parting with the car ever, and to keep it within family for many years, simmilar to an older 240z. Ill post up when I get some new toys on it. Still trying to determine if I can put on Tomei expreme headers onto a HR even though those are DE headers. Question is would I only need to pick DE HFC or TP's due to the flanges mating up? Plenty of speculation as Adam stated in a post but no one knows of any one who has done it yet.

Quick Reply: HR NA Build