Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

346whp @ 0 pounds of boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replied to that thread.

The headers intake and cams are the biggest components.

Heads are 100% stock.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SGSash
My build was done on a small budget. In fact, if you look at the money spent on my longblock you would realize it's almost nothing. It consists of the following ONLY:

JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
Revup Oil Pump
ARP Mains / Head Bolts
JWT Cams / springs

Like the above poster said, keep it simple.

My goal for the future for a further developed race engine would be to remove the 2nd ring and go to a much smaller piston, with a longer rod, and spin it to 9000rpm for exactly 30hrs at which point I would rebuild, and feel like I have a real motorsport engine

The UR pulley was on the car when I got it, and is the only under driven pulley that I know if. It hasn't caused any failures to date so I am taking my chances. Knowing what I know now I would use a stock pulley instead of anything else. if not the UR. The ATI would be nice if it was a smaller diameter, but all of the ones I have installed actually spin all of the accessories faster. Error.
The ATI street pulley is the most underdriven crank pulley out there. From the measurements I did:

"Features a 6 7/8 inch outer diameter, with aluminum shell, and steel insert where it mates to the crank. Retains a/c, power steering, and alternator. Belts not included. Air Conditioning is 32% underdriven, Power Steering and Alternator are 15% overdriven."

Having used both the UR and the ATI on my built motor, I much prefer how the engine feels with the ATI. Was zero balanced out of the box (the UR wasn't....close, but not quite), and the UR made the clutch extremely grabby (OS Single disk). Swapping to the ATI made the clutch exponentially easier to drive in day to day traffic, and even with the stereo setup I have in the car (and a/c is retained on mine too), I've not had a single issue. Downside is the price of course

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 03-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The ATI street pulley is the most underdriven crank pulley out there. From the measurements I did:

"Features a 6 7/8 inch outer diameter, with aluminum shell, and steel insert where it mates to the crank. Retains a/c, power steering, and alternator. Belts not included. Air Conditioning is 32% underdriven, Power Steering and Alternator are 15% overdriven."
What exactly are the differences between this pulley and the "race" ones? I know the street one retained alt+accessories but why couldn't the smaller diameter race one do the same? Is it simply because they feel the alt and accessories would be too underdriven (or overdriven if you look at the two other race models)? Or is there some other reason I'm missing?

http://www.atiracing.com/products/da.../damnissan.htm
Old 03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
mgrotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the race one just doesnt retain all the belts, but not sure
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

the UR made the clutch extremely grabby (OS Single disk). Swapping to the ATI made the clutch exponentially easier to drive in day to day traffic
I'm not seeing how a pulley could affect and change the characteristics of the clutch. Could you explain how or why this might be from a technical point?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I'm not seeing how a pulley could affect and change the characteristics of the clutch. Could you explain how or why this might be from a technical point?
I hope Adam doesn't mind me answering a question directed at him, but I'd like to discuss this a bit.

First, remember that the purpose of the damper is not to balance the rotating assembly. It is not a "balancer" (as though a 60 deg split throw could be balanced on the crank end alone). It is a damper, designed to dampen the torsional vibrations induced from the periodic application of torque about the crank centerline every time a piston is fired down its bore.

Now, in the case of Adam's build (and any other decent build) the crank has been "balanced" with regard to the rotating and reciprocating mass of the con rod, piston, and pins; so that the interia of these components traveling through the stroke is balanced (cancelled) by the inertia of the accelerating mass of the crank counterweights . Thus, the engine can be seen as "balanced" such that with a constant & even application of torque, and ignoring friction, the entire assembly would spin smoothly (without "wobble").

The issue is that there is not a constant application of torque. Force is applied to the crank in periods defined by the number of pistons and firing order. These periodic applications of torque about the crank centerline are also not perfectly equal amongst all the pistons, as variations in cylinder filling, friction, temperature, etc.. will induce some pistons to fire down the bore with different amounts of force. Also, the split crank design of a V6 cannot cancel out all the inertial loads imposed about the crankshaft by the reciprocating assembly, as the third order harmonic is not balanced (a straight crank design such as an inline or boxer 6 solves this issue).

So, while the crank may be balanced, there is an application of uneven force applied in defined but unbalanced intervals (a harmonic) acting on the crankshaft. These variations in force cause a twisting of the crank about the centerline (torsion). The crank has a big hunk of mass on one end to "absorb" some of this torsional energy. It is the flywheel. Dual-mass flywheels are designed to absorb these vibrations (torsional unloading) while not transmitting them through to the clutch (and consequently, the transmission input shaft). The other end of the crank does not have a huge hunk of mass on it. As such, the torsional vibrations of the crank tend to increase the further away from the flywheel the crank extends. Thus, this end of the crank features a harmonic DAMPER (not balancer. You cannot "balance" a harmonic anymore than the shocks on your car "balance" road vibrations). This is designed to help unload the torsional energy from the front of the crank through the use of a specific mass bonded to an elastomer material (some OEM's employ a viscous type damper, and there are several SAE papers to show they are more effective across a broader range of vibrations).

Therefore, the superior ability of the ATI damper to dampen these torsional vibrations reduces the amount of stored torsional energy in the crankshaft unloading to the flywheel, and because Adam uses a single-piece flywheel (without the extra damping capability of the OEM dual-mass unit), this can offer a direct benefit to clutch feel and engagement.

Will

Last edited by Resolute; 03-17-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: cleaned it up a bit
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
mgrotel

very good, thanks

recently snapped a crank in 2 in my chevy stroker, i will be ordering one of these for that engine asap
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Originally Posted by Resolute
I hope Adam doesn't mind me answering a question directed at him, but I'd like to discuss this a bit.

First, remember that the purpose of the damper is not to balance the rotating assembly. It is not a "balancer" (as though a 60 deg split throw could be balanced on the crank end alone). It is a damper, designed to dampen the torsional vibrations induced from the periodic application of torque about the crank centerline every time a piston is fired down its bore.

Now, in the case of Adam's build (and any other decent build) the crank has been "balanced" with regard to the rotating and reciprocating mass of the con rod, piston, and pins; so that the interia of these components traveling through the stroke is balanced (cancelled) by the inertia of the accelerating mass of the crank counterweights . Thus, the engine can be seen as "balanced" such that with a constant & even application of torque, and ignoring friction, the entire assembly would spin smoothly (without "wobble").

The issue is that there is not a constant application of torque. Force is applied to the crank in periods defined by the number of pistons and firing order. These periodic applications of torque about the crank centerline are also not perfectly equal amongst all the pistons, as variations in cylinder filling, friction, temperature, etc.. will induce some pistons to fire down the bore with different amounts of force. Also, the split crank design of a V6 cannot cancel out all the inertial loads imposed about the crankshaft by the reciprocating assembly, as the third order harmonic is not balanced (a straight crank design such as an inline or boxer 6 solves this issue).

So, while the crank may be balanced, there is an application of uneven force applied in defined but unbalanced intervals (a harmonic) acting on the crankshaft. These variations in force cause a twisting of the crank about the centerline (torsion). The crank has a big hunk of mass on one end to "absorb" some of this torsional energy. It is the flywheel. Dual-mass flywheels are designed to absorb these vibrations (torsional unloading) while not transmitting them through to the clutch (and consequently, the transmission input shaft). The other end of the crank does not have a huge hunk of mass on it. As such, the torsional vibrations of the crank tend to increase the further away from the flywheel the crank extends. Thus, this end of the crank features a harmonic DAMPER (not balancer. You cannot "balance" a harmonic anymore than the shocks on your car "balance" road vibrations). This is designed to help unload the torsional energy from the front of the crank through the use of a specific mass bonded to an elastomer material (some OEM's employ a viscous type damper, and there are several SAE papers to show they are more effective across a broader range of vibrations).

Therefore, the superior ability of the ATI damper to dampen these torsional vibrations reduces the amount of stored torsional energy in the crankshaft unloading to the flywheel, and because Adam uses a single-piece flywheel (without the extra damping capability of the OEM dual-mass unit), this can offer a direct benefit to clutch feel and engagement.

Will
That was an extremely enlightening post and very well written. thank you sir!
The following users liked this post:
Chinky4U (01-31-2018)
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mgrotel
i think the race one just doesnt retain all the belts, but not sure
been awhile since I talked to ATI about it, but I believe you're correct - doesn't have provisions for the accessories
Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

And just to expand a bit on what Will wrote, it's not something unique to my setup. If you were to take any of the aftermarket single mass flywheels, and combine it with a lightweight crank pulley, you would find a similar characteristic in clutch engagement. When I was forced to decide what to do about a new crank pulley, I didn't want to use a stock pulley because I've seen those come apart at high rpm and with age. If memory serves, the Fluidampr was backordered at the time, and had just been changed to use an aluminum center section, which I wanted to avoid. The ATI uses a steel center hub section, so no concerns with long term wear against the crank.

FWIW we did take the time to balance the UR one as well (we also balanced my clutch too prior to install, you may be able to see this in the original pics posted in my build thread). I've also noticed that with the ATI, I've never once had to tighten the belts since it went on in summer 2008. That's pretty good, considering the mileage now on it, and the rpm's I turn.

In the case of your Chevy, on many of them at least, the crank pulley is actually used as a balancer, and the application of a proper aftermarket pulley should be even more beneficial
Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 AM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Interesting. All of the ATI pulleys I have used needed a much longer belt - I wonder if I was getting the wrong version???

They were BIG.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

There are several available for the VQ35DE which retains the stock accessories and is the best choice for a street stroker?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 AM
mgrotel

In the case of your Chevy, on many of them at least, the crank pulley is actually used as a balancer, and the application of a proper aftermarket pulley should be even more beneficial
well, there were other things at play as well, it was an eagle stroker crank and a quick search on the webz provided many others with breaks in the exact same location, so there was a faulty batch that went out at some point, went with skat this time around. in addition, my machinst at the time took some steel off at that exact spot when doing balancing. not much i could do about that and one of the reasons i prefer to do things myself, not that i would do any balancing on my own but you get the point. so if anyone is buying a 383 stroker crank, go with skat over eagle, not that anyone is probably doing that in here anyway. sorry for the off topic, back on topic.

i have heard nothing but good things about the ati pulleys
Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 AM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
There are several available for the VQ35DE which retains the stock accessories and is the best choice for a street stroker?
i would just call them and im sure they will get you the correct part number for what you want
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,600 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Seeing as Kwame has the one I need I was hoping he would share.

I'll work it out if he won't.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Zquicksilver

^^^ so ATI street damper > Fluidampr

but on the flip side... and if i'm interpreting this correctly, this is why i thought the Fluidampr was the better choice. broader rage of dampening vibration. i think of the crank ends like a (wobbling) hotdog, don't know why, lol!

Originally Posted by Resolute
As such, the torsional vibrations of the crank tend to increase the further away from the flywheel the crank extends. Thus, this end of the crank features a harmonic DAMPER (not balancer. You cannot "balance" a harmonic anymore than the shocks on your car "balance" road vibrations). This is designed to help unload the torsional energy from the front of the crank through the use of a specific mass bonded to an elastomer material (some OEM's employ a viscous type damper, and there are several SAE papers to show they are more effective across a broader range of vibrations).

and

Originally Posted by SGSash
This is a photo of the intake currently on the car:

i never really liked the hard bend on the inlet to the plenum, that's pretty sweet integration!

why didn't Nissan do this from the get go!? LOL!

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 03-18-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM
mgrotel

yea, that intake is pretty sweet, then imagine a nice powder coating job on that so you cant see the welds
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 AM
mw9

Anyone else running this pulley. This sounds like something I could use, with my new clutch and light flywheel.

Last edited by mw9; 03-18-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

you can contact ATI for the exact amount of under/overdriving Sasha, I forget the %'s of under/overdriving- it might be in my thread too

edit - found it

https://my350z.com/forum/5859855-post567.html

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 03-18-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 346whp @ 0 pounds of boost