Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Experienced NA DE builders HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
rubabealf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced NA DE builders HELP!!!

Alright I trying to get into Pro-Am drifting this year but I need more power and I'm on a tight budget so, my goal is 320 whp

My plan of attack: DE non rev-up stock block motor.

JWT C8 cams and springs
sirius tune
Balora headers heat wrapped
2.25in test pipes to a 2 3/4 in exhaust
Bigger upper plenum (thinking kinetix composite because of heat soak)
Short ram intake/stock intake tube
And race gas octane 100 or 116

Is this possible? (somethings telling me NO it isn't)

Was also thinking about GM throttle body and making my own upper plenum with 90mm intake/MAF housing.

I've been reading and reading but figured I would make a post to see if I
can get some more information, I'm thinking I will need higher compression piston or shave the head?!

Ive always done my own work on my car excepted when getting a tune, (saves a lot of money)

Any advice on parts or what I would need to do to get to my goals would be greatly appreciated! (if possible on a budget)

Last edited by rubabealf; 01-27-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
*Boose*

Probably looking at about 260 whp. Why run race gas with bolt ons?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 PM
rubabealf

Im good at many things on a car (rebuilt SR's KA24's myself all turboed never tuned myself) but tuning/ building a NA motor is my week point. I've had my car dynoed on three different dynos, mustang said 260whp 253whp dynojet(dynojet one was untuned) and 265whp can't remember the last dyno. And this was on test pipes, short ram intake 1/2in plenum spacer and magnaflow 3in cat back.

I figured because the stock compression is 10.3 maybe race gas would get me a few more ponies but I'm assuming I need a higher compression to see real gains(but I have no clue how much I will gain from race gas)

Last edited by rubabealf; 01-27-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd concentrate on drifting with a stock motor, put the money into a proper LSD, tires, cooling suspension, and maybe a spare, stock motor or 2 just in case. Power isn't the cars weak point for drift use....the rest of the setup and the skill level of the driver are

borla headers are junk, your exhaust is too small

you have no need for a 90mm throttle body and the Kinetix intake manifold is unecessary (and you can't mate a 90mm throttle body to it anyway) - a spacer works just fine and alleviates the main issue with a stock intake manifold and non revup lower manifold. Truth be told if you have to ask questions about this type of setup, are you really equipped to design and build your own intake manifold? Engineers with years and years of either practical, or educationally based experience in fluid dynamics, often spend lifetimes making/tweaking intake manifolds. Even Nissan did their homework with theirs (yes, it is not ideal, but it works quite well for a stock engine). Why do you assume you can do better?

You can't shave the heads to increase compression - the timing cover would never fit back on, nor would your chain, etc.

Race gas will net you nothing but a lighter wallet on stock compression, or even slightly bumped compression. You need HIGH compression to take any advantage of what race gas can afford you
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I'd concentrate on drifting with a stock motor, put the money into a proper LSD, tires, cooling suspension, and maybe a spare, stock motor or 2 just in case. Power isn't the cars weak point for drift use....the rest of the setup and the skill level of the driver are

borla headers are junk, your exhaust is too small

you have no need for a 90mm throttle body and the Kinetix intake manifold is unecessary (and you can't mate a 90mm throttle body to it anyway) - a spacer works just fine and alleviates the main issue with a stock intake manifold and non revup lower manifold. Truth be told if you have to ask questions about this type of setup, are you really equipped to design and build your own intake manifold? Engineers with years and years of either practical, or educationally based experience in fluid dynamics, often spend lifetimes making/tweaking intake manifolds. Even Nissan did their homework with theirs (yes, it is not ideal, but it works quite well for a stock engine). Why do you assume you can do better?

You can't shave the heads to increase compression - the timing cover would never fit back on, nor would your chain, etc.

Race gas will net you nothing but a lighter wallet on stock compression, or even slightly bumped compression. You need HIGH compression to take any advantage of what race gas can afford you
I already have a Carbonetics 2way, 53mm koyo radiator, KPR steering angle kit, Tein master flex Coilovers with some custom spring rates, Adj sway bars, built my own duel caliper e-brake, roll cage and many more upgrades that have nothing to do with power, this is no street Z

I have been drifting on stock power for a while now while I have been progressing in my skills and tunning my suspension, for pro-am I will need to be in 4 gear around the 5/8 bank doing around 80mph sideways, with my current power I know I can drift in 4th at 70mph but its very difficult! Final Drive gearing is also on my plans to help me out.

My listing of mods on post 1 is not what I have its what I was thinking, Ive read that you can hook up a GM thorttle body but did not know of any body with a stock ECU that has done it, Thats why I started this thred to see if anybody has info on this.

On the building my own upper plenum I was thinking about it so I could bolt up a GM throttle body, I have lots of spare materials at work to fab one up and give it a shot, you never know it might be Epic or it will most likely fail. you will never learn anything if you don't try and fail!

My exhaust is currently a 3in a I was thinking maybe too big. Borla headers= Crap too bad I wasted my 160 bucks on them.

I did not know about the lower plenum so it would be a big help if i got a rev-up lower plenum? this is the info that Im looking for.

Now I know I can't shave the heads because the chain will become too loose.

Race gas dose nothing on stock compression, Ok what compressions dose race gas become necessary and will make good power gains?

What HP numbers is the stock block capable of and what have people done to get there?
Im just trying to get as much info as possible so I dont wast money on buying useless parts I.E. the borla headers

Last edited by rubabealf; 01-27-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by rubabealf
I already have a Carbonetics 2way, 53mm koyo radiator, KPR steering angle kit, Tein master flex Coilovers with some custom spring rates, Adj sway bars, built my own duel caliper e-brake, roll cage and many more upgrades that have nothing to do with power, this is no street Z

I have been drifting on stock power for a while now while I have been progressing in my skills and tunning my suspension, for pro-am I will need to be in 4 gear around the 5/8 bank doing around 80mph sideways, with my current power I know I can drift in 4th at 70mph but its very difficult! Final Drive gearing is also on my plans to help me out.

My listing of mods on post 1 is not what I have its what I was thinking, Ive read that you can hook up a GM thorttle body but did not know of any body with a stock ECU that has done it, Thats why I started this thred to see if anybody has info on this.

On the building my own upper plenum I was thinking about it so I could bolt up a GM throttle body, I have lots of spare materials at work to fab one up and give it a shot, you never know it might be Epic or it will most likely fail. you will never learn anything if you don't try and fail!

My exhaust is currently a 3in a I was thinking maybe too big. Borla headers= Crap too bad I wasted my 160 bucks on them.

I did not know about the lower plenum so it would be a big help if i got a rev-up lower plenum? this is the info that Im looking for.

Now I know I can't shave the heads because the chain will become too loose.

Race gas dose nothing on stock compression, Ok what compressions dose race gas become necessary and will make good power gains?

What HP numbers is the stock block capable of and what have people done to get there?
Im just trying to get as much info as possible so I dont wast money on buying useless parts I.E. the borla headers
If you spent about 2 maybe 3 good days searcing this site. You could find all these answers. I'd say 13.0:1 and above wouldn't make any power on race gas. However, I've never seen anyone try it with the exception of a stock 370Z on youtube that supposedly made 14 whp and they have an 11.?:1 cr. The stock block can be maxed out to it's potential NA without problems unless you start revving passed the stock limiter, esp on a DE. There are some bolt on revups that can rev to 7500 but it's not necessary since most peak at 6500 anyway.

Don't use a revup manifold. Use the MREV2. Most people again I say most people, who have tried running a larger tb haven't been able to properly tune the car for it. With the exception of a few Japanese tuners that have been able to convert some to VQ45tb with cable and the one out there with dual tb's. So good luck on that. I do know if you can figure it out the gains are pretty good.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I'd spend some time reading through some of the build threads here
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 AM
jmccarty

rubabealf - the big tb project(s) are very interesting and if a matching plenum manifold and ECU comms could be easily cracked, it could/would be magic.

The 4.083 final drive is one of the "2nd" best alternatives and as you have your own tools, you can probably get an acceptable bang for your buck for your drifting car with that.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 AM
gixxert

Originally Posted by rubabealf
Im good at many things on a car (rebuilt SR's KA24's myself all turboed never tuned myself) but tuning/ building a NA motor is my week point. I've had my car dynoed on three different dynos, mustang said 260whp 253whp dynojet(dynojet one was untuned) and 265whp can't remember the last dyno. And this was on test pipes, short ram intake 1/2in plenum spacer and magnaflow 3in cat back.

I figured because the stock compression is 10.3 maybe race gas would get me a few more ponies but I'm assuming I need a higher compression to see real gains(but I have no clue how much I will gain from race gas)
my cousin has the kinetix ssv intake short intake tube headers exhaust pulleys and was dyno tuned to 275 at the rear wheels. if you do your headers that you have and the intake you should be close(r) to your goals
Old 02-01-2011, 12:18 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think spelling is also your week point

Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gixxert
my cousin has the kinetix ssv intake short intake tube headers exhaust pulleys and was dyno tuned to 275 at the rear wheels. if you do your headers that you have and the intake you should be close(r) to your goals
if only it worked that way
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by SGSash
I think spelling is also your week point

Lol ya me edumacation is not to done well.

I love your posts by the way your work is epic! The trouble is I hear one thing then another but have a hard time getting good info, the most of the good info I've seen has been from SGSash's post.

From what I've read is that the really only way to get to 320whp is to open up the throttle after you get your exhaust figured out.

GM 90mm throttle body part #12602800 is supost to be a straigt plug and play but they had idle surge, did any body ever fix this issue?

And no one makes a 90mm upper plenum, so I have several years of costome composit fabrication so i figured I would need to make my own even tho it might fail horribly, I will just try again and again till I learn how tk make a good one if I haft to.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM
rubabealf

Originally Posted by jmccarty
rubabealf - the big tb project(s) are very interesting and if a matching plenum manifold and ECU comms could be easily cracked, it could/would be magic.

The 4.083 final drive is one of the "2nd" best alternatives and as you have your own tools, you can probably get an acceptable bang for your buck for your drifting car with that.
The gearing is going to happen but I need to have the power to see where I'm at so I can get the right gears, or I'm just shooting in the dark when I get one, I have looked gear ratios and tire sizes and can make a good guess but if I get it wrong it's a wast of time and money.