Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

the_coupe's NA build cp manley bc

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
the_coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i think its revival time.
heads are done. big yay.
had them resurfaced for a nice clean....surface? lol
cleaned the valves and seats, installed new valve seals
installed the BC valve springs and Ti retainers
checked my valve clearances with the stage2 cams. all BUT 2 intake valves were within spec. so i got the correct valve lifters to put me within spec. yay x2.
torqued them to spec with HR headgaskets using HR headbolts
then installed the cams and secondary t-chain tensioners. that was my stopping point for the day.

naowwww for the pikachurrs -_-

Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,595 Likes on 2,052 Posts

Very cool!

My block is theoretically almost ready to come back from the machine shop.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 PM
mgrotel

oh snap! i cant wait to get going on mine after seeing this, big motivation. good work
Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 PM
the_coupe

"theoretically" speaking, eh? lol
will have it all buttoned up tomorrow. hopin to have this bish installed next weekend!
gotta figure out my oil pan deal, i got the coolant pipes welded up from the stuff im bypassing. and my buddy is now working on the porting of the intake manifold and plenum.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 PM
the_coupe

ok guysss. is all i can think of ATM (nonpron )

i went to bolt the rear timing cover on last saturday since i had the heads all torqued up. but once i was finished torquing it down i noticed my bank2 tensioner guide was cracked. BOOOOO! so i went ahead and ordered all new tensioners....which came in yesterday.

so i put in the new tensioners and water pump, got the secondaries on, then put on the primary. cool beans!!!
turned the motor over and boy did she spin over freely! so happys!
with the front cover bolted on....btw, i just painted the covers in the cast coat aluminum engine paint.

there's a secret spot for an oil return......so i opened it up and tapped it for future use when i go SC.

no more factory oil "warmer"

the stillen lightweight factory size crank pulley

now it just looks purtyyyyyy! the swap begins tomorrow after work!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
mgrotel

nice!!!

did you instal the tstat in the pathfinder cooling pipe? or just leave it open?
why did you remove the factory oil cooler?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Very nice.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 PM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good
Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 AM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like everything is moving along well eventhough you ran into some knicks and knacks here and there. That timing cover looks nice, did you paint it or something? I see that you have a light crank pulley, what flywheel are you gonna use on the other side of the crank?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great pics and info, in for updates
Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 AM
the_coupe

mgrotel,
thanks. yeah im running the secondary tstat too and i removed all the extra coolant hoses minus the ones for the throttle body to just clean the area up. i still gotta figure out how im gonna block off the nipple on the tstat itself. but i plan on running an external oil cooler in the near future.

thanks e30 and GG

gabe,
yes i sure did! i hate setbacks, but the best way I can put it in words is "if i didnt have bad luck, id have no luck at all" lol
its painted with the high temp engine enamel "cast coat aluminum" with clear.
and i have a comp clutch stage 4 clutch/flywheel kit that is going on the other end. but if you can remember reading in previous posts way back, i had the bottom end balanced from the pulley to the flywheel.

thanks mw9
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
mgrotel

what tstat nipple are you referring to? there is an extra threaded opening on the pathfinder pipe that i plan to put a temp gauge into.

why not just add an external oil cooler in addition to the stock one?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice job on that, I might just have to copy you, haha. Looks like the stage4 clutch might be similar to my Southbend DXD-B 6puck clutch. Just from my experience with my car, running the ULW FW and crank pulley makes the drivability worst cause of the fast dropping RPM and also harder to sustain higher RPM during shifts (unless if you power shift). I recently decided to add the ATI dampener to alleviate this issue. Just my 2cents.

mgrotel, i believe the extra tstat and nipple he is talking comes from the rear coolant bypass. You can see it in the last picture.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
mgrotel

oh, yea that would be it if he removed those hoses like he said, just weld it closed man
Old 06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
mgrotel

and that front timing chain cover does look good, im doing mine black with some DG accents
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
the_coupe

Im gonna block off the 2nd hole on the rear coolant pipe but im talking about the nipple that is on the tstat itself.

And we'll see how i like the light weight combo....normally if im gonna bring the car up to redline i speed shift anyways so it might not be too big of an issue for me.....we'll see tho.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by the_coupe
mgrotel,
thanks. yeah im running the secondary tstat too and i removed all the extra coolant hoses minus the ones for the throttle body to just clean the area up. i still gotta figure out how im gonna block off the nipple on the tstat itself. but i plan on running an external oil cooler in the near future.

thanks e30 and GG

gabe,
yes i sure did! i hate setbacks, but the best way I can put it in words is "if i didnt have bad luck, id have no luck at all" lol
its painted with the high temp engine enamel "cast coat aluminum" with clear.
and i have a comp clutch stage 4 clutch/flywheel kit that is going on the other end. but if you can remember reading in previous posts way back, i had the bottom end balanced from the pulley to the flywheel.

thanks mw9
I have had at least an equal number of insane setbacks!
Hopefully my motor will go together Monday.

I hope neither of us has any more drama!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 PM
the_coupe

only took me roughly 2 hours to get the motor/trans dropped on friday after work.

and at the same time my buddy finished porting the intake manifold, but the lower plenum isnt finished so you will see in the pics i have a non-painted lower installed for now.

gettin ready to put the motor on the crossmember

got started on the swap around 10am saturday. ended up gettin home around 2am. this included swapping all the parts on, i painted all the brackets/solenoids/plenums, AND did the wire tuck AND spent over an hour tryna get the coolant system bled (which was a royal PITA btw)

but this is the final result....for now still got more stuffs to do

Last edited by the_coupe; 06-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM
the_coupe

so now i have about 40 miles on the car (the drive home from work and about 10 miles worth today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsrF94cEiV8

i noticed that the car was smoking some when i was idling and tryna get the cooling system bled out. smelled like oil, not coolant. when i got the wheels on and everything to go test drive it.....it smoked while accelerating and decel as well. im running cheapazz 5w-30 convential oil btw.

today when i took it for another short test drive, it smoked when i started it up and idled. smoked when i took off...but seemed to clear out once i shifted into 2nd-3rd gear. smokes during decel and sometimes i see smoke if i gas it while cruising. but it smokes pretty bad when i take off from a stop....like fogging out the car behind me for a few seconds.

**the rings were file fit per cp's specs from the shop that bored my block out, i installed them per the esm in correct indexing, yes new oem valve stem seals were installed.

i went ahead and took consult2 home with me to monitor everything....and im runnin hella rich....like my alphas are hittin 60%s on bank1 and 10% higher on bank2. while cruising i can sometimes feel the car hesitate from the car running so rich so i give it gas to clear up. my pcv setup currently consists of the factory deal on the driver side, passenger side is routed like factory also only i drilled out the pcv valve and i have a circuit sports catch can inline. any other guys have your car smoke for a while during break-in??

Last edited by the_coupe; 06-19-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: vid
Old 06-19-2011, 07:41 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Very cool!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: the_coupe's NA build cp manley bc