Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

87mm TB Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 AM
npr350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to a Titan meet one time near seattle(with a guy I worked with) and one of the guys up there had the pgm ls tb, and I asked him about it. He said he cracked it open after trying to put it on his gto or sum thing and it didn't work right, same issues as throwing our tb on It would have I guess, then he cracked open the old nissan oem one. And (forgive me this was a few yeArs ago) that it either had 3 or 4 resistors wired up right after the plug...or that it was the oem nissan board wired up to the plug on the ls tb. Which the resistors make sense, and the board in it makes sense too ; sense it's just opening a butterfly valve and sending back tps. I really wished I payed more attention now. If I had more time and money lol.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM
npr350z

Oh I hope your personal issues for both you guys are going better!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM
npr350z

So I know you cats are busy but a quick question, whenever you changed the voltage in Osiris for the tb, was it the motor control or was it the tps? If I remember correctly we both have a 5v+ reference, two tps, motor power, motor ground, and a low voltage reference.Now you may get where I'm headed with this. Is if I can figure out what voltages are off I can just wire some resistors in or forward the info too Suratt and he can make some plug and play harness or whatever's. But I'd assume it'd either be the tps or the low voltage reference. If my dog didn't chew up my voltometer I'd check what it is on the stock tb. But if it was plug and play kinda, minus some wiring and a reset... Maybe it's that the tps need to be switched for our ecu. I'm somewhat going with the resistor idea or that our low reference voltage is to high or that the tps is to much, or reverse.
Since the power,ground,and 5v+ reference are good...that leaves 3 wires too deal with, the two tps and low reference voltage.

Now that I've spilled all that, the truck tb and the ls2tb are actually wired different with there tps. So you can see where I'm going with all this.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
SurraTT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, i had at 87 tb working on my 02 maxima, old style vq ecu ( no osiris)

it would run fine for one drive cycle, cut car off and back on and ecu was in limp mode. i was going to dyno test this but never got around to it. because it would work for dyno pulls but not daily driving.

I believe the issue is the tps voltage in relation to the ecu command opening % is too high. With a proper ecu/standalone it will be easily fixed.

Osiris enabled ecus should be able to tune for this tb, leaving the tb left alone that would be the SAFEST and most reliable.

I have even looked for a standalone Dbw controller unit only but there is nothing out there.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:21 PM
npr350z

Little bit earlier in the thread I talked about how I had a chat with a fellow that took a pgm ls2 tb apart after he tried putting it on his gto(trams am camaro, sum thin) and that it didn't run right. He said there was 2 or 3 resistors put in and that was the only difference than his original. Now that was a few years ago and I was only partially paying attention.
Now what I'm getting at, would be leaving the tb original and just putting resistors in a plug and play harness..if someone made them but it'll require more research.
I have the pinouts for ours and the ls2 tb and the voltages for the ls2, I either just need to find ours or go test it myself. Then get a ls2, do a comparison and just get the right resistors and pnp 90mm tb for everyone! Now it's probably not gona happen anytime soon unless an ls2 tb magically appears at my door step.but if I could get our voltages it'd be a closer guess when it came time to wire it up.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM
SurraTT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by npr350z
Little bit earlier in the thread I talked about how I had a chat with a fellow that took a pgm ls2 tb apart after he tried putting it on his gto(trams am camaro, sum thin) and that it didn't run right. He said there was 2 or 3 resistors put in and that was the only difference than his original. Now that was a few years ago and I was only partially paying attention.
Now what I'm getting at, would be leaving the tb original and just putting resistors in a plug and play harness..if someone made them but it'll require more research.
I have the pinouts for ours and the ls2 tb and the voltages for the ls2, I either just need to find ours or go test it myself. Then get a ls2, do a comparison and just get the right resistors and pnp 90mm tb for everyone! Now it's probably not gona happen anytime soon unless an ls2 tb magically appears at my door step.but if I could get our voltages it'd be a closer guess when it came time to wire it up.
yeah i seen that, i make the pnp harnesses.

Its possible but would need extensive testing for me to trust it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM
npr350z

But if it's the tps like your saying it really narrows it down. And with the resistors in the harness it'd be a tb and harness that people could swap back over to stock and sell if need be. I know tuning is the proper way. But if it alleviates one issue with tuning, why not?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
npr350z

And I can dig it, it's your product with your name attached. I'm just saying, if I figured it out I wouldn't have any issue sharing the info and if you already make pnp harness...well a pnp 90mm tb harness would be great for everyone...we'll that could use it.

So further research says. That the Buick tb fixer is using has too high voltage on tps1 is too high, and tps2 is two low... But some time with the batter off and a tiny hole drilled into it fix cold starts...so ...this may be an option

The ls2 is very close to voltages.. But all of the ls2 voltages are a bit too high for the stock voltages. That's why it seems once the codes where cleared on the sg car it would run and itd have slight issues at idle and shifting. So it seems like a small voltage drop on the tps's would do the trick.

The stock tps 1 voltage is at wot 4.25, closed .46 and resting is .63
The second is inversed t wot .74 closed 4.57 and resting is 4.4

The ls tps positive voltage at wot is 4.7 , .5 closed .75 rest
Tps inverse voltage at wot is .7ish, 4.65 closed.
So very close but I was reading and I don't have any exact numbers, but the resistor in our ecus is much smaller than the ls tps. So now the real question is, what is the difference here? Some of these reading where takin from multimeters some from the ecu, mainly the ls. The ls voltages seem much higher at the tps versus our readings, that why people get the voltage code on the ecu...so the real question here is what size resistors do we need to get this going?

I figure 1,5,10,30,50,100,250,500,1000,1500 ohm resistors in 1/4watt to 1watts and some trial and some trial and error. But I figure it'll be in the 500 and under, or it'll be like 2.2k. So yeah

Last edited by npr350z; 03-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I am thinking of using the Kinetix Velocity manifold and hacking the pipe off and using my own. I emailed them and they said it was a 3" pipe that connects to the plenum chamber. I am wondering if I could fit a 3.5" pipe. Might not be able to perfectly round, but what about squaring it off to the size of the end of the plenum chamber there? Anyone know the dimensions of that part or could get them? I may post in the intake section to see if someone can measure it for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
npr350z

I have one on my car, I can take a look at it later tonight. I wanna say I measured it at 78-80mm once. Or do you mean the actual square bit on the Im where the elbow comes in?
Just some food for though, I've always though about cutting the elbow off, flipping the manifold 180, then mounting the tb straight to the intake mani. Kinda like an ls intake manifold or...any non z crazy elbow thing. Then just use a hr hood for clearence, a 45 degree elbow, extend the maf wiring, breather hose, and have the intake end where it normally does.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Fixxxercask

That is an interesting idea. I was wanting to know the dimensions of where the pipe connects to the plenum. I don't think its perfectly square. It think its a weird shape. I like the smooth bend radius of the Kinetix manifold piping that comes into the plenum. I was going to try to replicate that with larger piping, but wanted to see if it would fit to plenum though. Kinetix told me the pipe is 3" and you could not go bigger. I was thinking I could it I form the pipe to match the shape and size of the plenum itself where the pipe connects.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 PM
npr350z

I'll take some pics and bust out the tape measure when I'm off. Why not, if your cutting it off, extend the end off the intake manifold a bit, taper up and out at about 45 degrees for 1/2 inch into a 3.5" elbow if it's not large enough? Wouldn't be to hard with a mig welder.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Fixxxercask

Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM
npr350z

pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails 87mm TB Project-img_0383.jpg   87mm TB Project-img_0384.jpg   87mm TB Project-img_0385.jpg   87mm TB Project-img_0386.jpg   87mm TB Project-img_0387.jpg  

87mm TB Project-img_0388.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM
npr350z

i was thinking about the 180 thing....and it seems like the oil filler neck would be in the way or front engine cover.
Attached Thumbnails 87mm TB Project-img_0231.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Fixxxercask

Thanks much for the pics. So that thing is pretty wide where it enters the plenum chamber. I did not realize it was that wide there. Plenty of room. I think I can make a 4" pipe somehow form to that shape. I will have to look into it.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
npr350z

Just gona smooth it down to that shape? Isn't 4" a lil over kill? I get 3.5, ya know 4 or 3.5 intake to 90mm tb into the 3.5" elbow.
Well unless your running one of the fast 102mm tbs...
Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Fixxxercask

Go big or go home...lol

It might be...I am on the fence, I may do 4" to the TB then 3.5" to the plenum. I'll have to figure something out.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM
npr350z

What size Intake you running? I'm planning on a 3.5" to 80mm tb. I gotta find an offset silicone coupler though...I've thought about 4" but I wanna keep my strut bar, and not have the intake sitting on the exhaust manifold.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Fixxxercask

Earlier in this thread I tested the 87mm TB with 4" intake connected to it. I plan on still using that. I just need to get something fabbed from the back of the TB to the plenum. I would like it to be as big as possible. It will probably end up being 3.5" - 4.0". I will not be using my strut bar.

Quick Reply: 87mm TB Project